Bengal Receivers

How many WRs will they keep? Isn't 6 usually the norm?

They have to keep their highest paid WR... Antonio Bryant. Then Ocho and Chad. Shipley is versatile and will be a future contributor so he will remain. Briscoe and Jones would be my other two.

I'd keep Ocho, TO, Bryant and Shipley for sure. Then Crosby, Briscoe and Jones. Simpson has some potential but I'd let him walk.

Simpson is better then Crosby, Briscoe and Jones , and had more exprience then Shipley, so why would you like to see him take a walk.

I would think Chad, TO, and Shipley are givens. If healthy, Bryant is a given. Although some may disagree, I think Caldwell makes the team. That leaves one spot for Jones, Cosby, Simpson, Purify, and Briscoe. To me, it comes down to Cosby or Simpson, and there are four more preseason games for that to play out. While Jones did make a couple good catches Sunday, let's not forget that he wasn't exactly playing against first team CBs. The training camp reports say he is very slow and not really impressing anyone.

When was he ever one of the best receivers in the league? He's never caught over 41 passes in a season, he's never had over 761 yards in a season and he's never had over 5 touchdowns in a season.

It's just that usually when people say, "one of the best" that would mean top 30 IMO. Matt Jones was never, and will never be that. Could he help this team? Possibly, but I can think of at least four WR's I want on this squad before him.

One of the best WR in the league? C'mon Dolamite. He's never been one of the best 100 WRs in the league.

Like I said guys I generalized that way too much, but even if so I basically said before he got into trouble he was turning into one of the best wide receivers in the league. Okay, here is a stat sheet for 2008 (year Jones played before arrest) with all the receiving leaders in all the categories. In yards, Jones is only about fifteen spots below Randy Moss, and only around ten spots below TJ Housh. I'm sure you guys wouldn't argue they're not some of the leagues best, especially in 2008. In catches, Jones was actually 26th on the receptions list, and two spots behind TO, three behind Randy Moss, and six behind Steve Smith.

Okay so we have that said. Not super impressive, but decent numbers. BUT, big thing you guys have left out and that I will point out is Jones only played in twelve games that season, while most other guys on the list and guys mentioned played sixteen. Also keep in mind he had David Garrard throwing him the ball, on what is mostly a run/screen team. So once again, not trying to blow the guy up and act like hes top 10, top 15, but maybe not even top 20, I admit using the term best receivers in the league was a little too broad. BUT, can you really look at that list, look at the categories, consider he played four less games and still act like he was horrible? I mean really, the stats say he was a top 30 receiver that year, while playing less games than everyone else. Guy had/has athleticism, size, and speed, and if he can keep his head in check will be solid for the Bengals.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=WR&conference=NFL&year=season_2008&timeframe=All&sort=4&old_category=QB

I like the research dolamite, but two key statistics from that page which I think help to make "great receivers" are YAC and TDs.

He had a 3.2 YAC and 2 TDs that year...both rank way down the list.

Like I mentioned, the Jags are a run first team, they don't take many shots down field. When they do get inside the ten, they normally always run it in, so thats stats don't bother me. If he could have played a full sixteen games that season he would have been on pace to be top fifteen, maybe even top teen in receptions and receiving yards that season. Thats good enough for me. Again I'm not trying to say he is the all mighty, but I'm just trying to make the case hes not as bad as you think.

I like the research dolamite, but two key statistics from that page which I think help to make "great receivers" are YAC and TDs.

He had a 3.2 YAC and 2 TDs that year...both rank way down the list.

Another thing is I already said I over stepped my bounds by saying great, I used it in way too broad of a sense. I'm just trying to say now that he is not as horrible as you guys act either.

Simpson is better then Crosby, Briscoe and Jones , and had more exprience then Shipley, so why would you like to see him take a walk.

I just think the other guys add more to the team as better compliments to TO, Ocho and Bryant. I also think Shipley is going to be very, very good eventually.

None of this matters b/c the Bengals O-Line is one of the worst units in the league at pass blocking. That's part of the reason that they have to rely so heavily on the run, these guys can't protect Palmer to save their lives. Whitworth is NOT a left tackle. Williams is 85 years old. Cook gets destroyed by the NTs in the AFC North, killing the pocket. They just aren't that good exactly where they need to be. They have a good receiving group, decent running backs, two potential stars as receiving tight ends, but it doesn't matter if Palmer is rushing every throw.