Good thing we have the human element still

SSC

Was watching this game last night. It's like he saw the first bounce as foul (which it was), and quit watching after that. Unfortunately for Davidson, bounce two was right on the line, and bounce three was about two inches fair (after going over the base fair as well).

Everyone is making a big deal about the ball being well inside the line past the bag, however, it was obvious to me that the ball appeared to be foul before it even got to that point. He had made his decision to call it a foul ball before it even got to the bag. With that said, I agree that there needs to be instant replays in situations like this where the game is on the line.

untitled6.JPG

I don't think the call was an easy one but he probably missed it. The Marlins announcers made a really big deal after it bounced past the bag. That's irrelevant by rule but probably supports the case that it was fair. It would take a funny spin to have it be foul as it went past the bag and then come back fair on the next bounce.

I don't think the call was an easy one but he probably missed it. The Marlins announcers made a really big deal after it bounced past the bag. That's irrelevant by rule but probably supports the case that it was fair. It would take a funny spin to have it be foul as it went past the bag and then come back fair on the next bounce.

The point is why not have a system in place where they can go look at the replay? The technology is already in the park. Guys are going to miss calls. This call could have a huge post season result. The Phillies are in the middle of two races. It's a joke for people to want the human element.

Everyone is making a big deal about the ball being well inside the line past the bag, however, it was obvious to me that the ball appeared to be foul before it even got to that point. He had made his decision to call it a foul ball before it even got to the bag. With that said, I agree that there needs to be instant replays in situations like this where the game is on the line.

The first bounce, which you have here in the pic, was indeed foul. But the second bounce, which was about 15-20 feet in front of the bag, was clearly right on the line, chalk dust and all. It wasn't an easy call, but it certainly wasn't a hard one. He just gave up on it after watching the first bounce.

The first bounce, which you have here in the pic, was indeed foul. But the second bounce, which was about 15-20 feet in front of the bag, was clearly right on the line, chalk dust and all. It wasn't an easy call, but it certainly wasn't a hard one. He just gave up on it after watching the first bounce.

I know, but once a ball is foul, that's it, play is dead right? Doesn't matter where the ball goes after that, once it bounces foul that's the end of the play.

I know, but once a ball is foul, that's it, play is dead right? Doesn't matter where the ball goes after that, once it bounces foul that's the end of the play.

It's where it ends up. That's why you hear coaches yell "kill it" when someone bunts a roller down the line and it goes foul. If it comes back in and dies, it's a fair ball.

The only thing that matters on a ground ball that goes beyond the bag is where the ball was when it crosses over the bag, in this case, 3rd base. If it was outside the bag at that point, it's foul. If it was over the bag, then it is fair.

Jim is right, if a ball fails to reach the bag, then it is either foul or fair depending on when its motion is stopped. It can cross back and forth between foul and fair, but where it ends up is the determining factor.

So what's the difference then if a guy hits a pop up that lands foul, then bounces fair and rolls to stop in fair territory? That's a foul ball, right?

If it hits the ground before it passes 1st/3rd base, then bounces in fair, it's fair if that's where the ball is when it's fielded. But you're pretty much never going to see that happen without the ball being fielded first before it goes back fair.

I don't know how instant replay would help in this situation here. Think about it. There was a runner on second who would have scored had it been ruled a fair ball, obviously. But if they initially call it a foul then the play is dead regaurdless. So even if they could go back and change the call, how would they rule it? Where would the guy on second end up? And where would they put the guy who hit it?