Question for those close to Covington Catholic

jbwill2

I have a question for the CovCath contingent here on BGP: how is the CCH football program viewed by the CCH students, school staff and parents/CCH community at large in comparison to other CCH athletic programs, like basketball, baseball, swimming, track, etc? Is the football program viewed as being on a higher 'footing,' or is it viewed as merely one of several generally successful athletic programs at CCH (i.e., no more or less important than the other athletic programs at CCH)?

I am asking this because CCH has a tradition of being very strong in several sports (unlike most schools in NKY), and I am curious if this impacts the amount of attention/focus given to the CCH football program.

My guess is that if you had to label CCH you'd go with it being a football school. However, its not much ahead of baseball and basketball. Fortunately for CCH, all of their programs are successful.

That would be a kind of difficult question to answer, JB. I can say, at least from my observation and my attendance at the school that from a participation standpoint, most student athletes at Cov Cath came to Cov Cath with at least a little bit of an idea of what sport(s) they were going to take part in. Football draws a pretty large number, as does soccer, basketball, and even track. Still...there are a number of students who go there with baseball, swimming, golf, and tennis in mind, as well as cross country, even though the number of actual participants isn't quite so much, obviously. I think that's because, as you said, Cov Cath has a tradition of being very strong in several sports, unlike most schools in Northern Kentucky.

I don't know that people inside the school would go so far as to look at Cov Cath as a "football school", per se, but you could certainly say that crowd attendance is highest at football games amongst the fall sports - and that's not to laugh at soccer attendance either.

I would say if you were to ask the student body which sport was king as far as which games were the "ones to go to", you'd probably hear a pretty close tie between football and basketball. If you were to ask the student athletes which sport was "the team to go out for", I think they'd tell you whichever sport they played.

I know that's not a terribly clear answer, but that's what I've got. I guess let's see what the other folks chime in with now.

I've been a Colonel since 2004 when my son was a freshman and I stepped into the radio booth. From where I sit, the expecation at CovCath is to contend for a region title in every sport every year. Anything less is a disappointment. I'm not saying it's realistic, but that is the expectation. There's good and bad to that, but in general, I like the bar being high. I also believe that the main reason people would view CovCath as a football school is 6 state banners hanging on the wall. When the gym is full in January against Holmes, no one is thinking of those banners. When the Colonels are in the finals of the baseball region, the hitting of helmets and the squeaking of gym shoes is the furthest thing from anyone's mind. It's unfortunate for the sports with fewer spectators like soccer, golf, tennis, swimming and diving, track and cross country, and I'll throw in Lacrosse. These sports are just as successful, but are missed in the shadows of the big three. It's a special place and I'm blessed to be in the middle of all of their successes.

Another way I can phrase my question is: if they had to choose, would the CCH community rather do generally well in most sports or do very, very well in football and OK in other sports?

Depends on what you mean by "generally well."

I think the school takes pride in excelling across the spectrum.

Im looking forward to the Colonels getting back to being a definite contender to Highlands, it only makes the rivalry that much better. The Colonels seem to have been stuck in a couple of down years but with the incoming sophs and some returning stud lineman they should be a formidable foe to teams in NKY this year.

I'd say it depends on the season for the CovCath students to come up with a legitimate answer as to what type of school CovCath is. In the Fall most would say it's a football school but in the winter most would say basketball. I really wouldn't say there's a label on the school like there is Highlands with football. Like Clyde said, the school takes pride in every one of its extracurricular programs doing well, even if it's the academic team or cross country team. CovCath wants to show that they're well rounded and successfully well rounded. Even though the lacrosse team often gets dominated by the larger schools in Cincinnati, there are still a lot of players, support, and a lot of faith in growing the program. The unconditional support for every program is why I think CovCath is successful at so many things. They may not dominate in anything annually, but the success rate for their array of offered athletic programs is fairly solid all around. I think they just want to be good at everything in a classy way.

Im looking forward to the Colonels getting back to being a definite contender to Highlands, it only makes the rivalry that much better. The Colonels seem to have been stuck in a couple of down years but with the incoming sophs and some returning stud lineman they should be a formidable foe to teams in NKY this year.

6 posts in and you have to say the dirty word. Didn't know you were close to CCH. Which is it? LOL

Back to the topic at hand!

CovCathiradio, Clyde and BM all are correct!

CovCath isn't a football school, or a basketball school, or even a baseball school, nor does anyone look down on members of the golf, cross country, swimming teams or the like.

What CovCath is and is foremost, is a school where many come together with a "Spirit that will not Die" attitude that has traditionally been handed down year after year, from class to class, from Father to Son, to Grandsons and will be handed down to any young man that spends four years at CovCath

It is an attitude that through the Love of God, prayer and hard work we can accomplished anything working together be it in the classroom, the field, the hardwood, the diamond, the pool or the track and if you can't play in the games, you still are a member of the team by attending and cheering on your team as no member of the team is any bigger or better than the Crazies sitting in the stands rooting on their team.

Yes it might sound cheesy to some but it is what I have found to be true, for forty five plus years!

CovCathiradio, Clyde and BM all are correct!

CovCath isn't a football school, or a basketball school, or even a baseball school, nor does anyone look down on members of the golf, cross country, swimming teams or the like.

What CovCath is and is foremost, is a school where many come together with a "Spirit that will not Die" attitude that has traditionally been handed down year after year, from class to class, from Father to Son, to Grandsons and will be handed down to any young man that spends four years at CovCath

It is an attitude that through the Love of God, prayer and hard work we can accomplished anything working together be it in the classroom, the field, the hardwood, the diamond, the pool or the track and if you can't play in the games, you still are a member of the team by attending and cheering on your team as no member of the team is any bigger or better than the Crazies sitting in the stands rooting on their team.

Yes it might sound cheesy to some but it is what I have found to be true, for forty five plus years!

Well put OG. We experienced the same exact elements at NewCath with our daughter. Go Catholics!!!!!

It's kind of hard to explain the spirit at CovCath. I was just as sad when my Colonel Crazy career ended as I was when my football career ended at CovCath.

What exactly is involved in a "Colonel Crazy" career?