• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can only have 2 girls from the same highschool on a team. I think they changed this rule when LeBron James played AAU. I don't think Ky has the same rule

Is this a new AAU rule or OHSAA trying to implement one?

This has been the rule in Ohio for as long as I can remember. You can only have two players from one school on each team until June 1st. After June 1st you can have as many players from the same school as you want.

I was unaware that after June 1 the rule changed. I thought the 2 player rule was in effect all summer. Good to know!!

On another note and not to change the subject.....I was suprised at the OHSAA academic requirements for playing high school sports. You only have to have a passing grade in 70% or 75% of your classes. So if I am doing the math correctly, you can be failing 2 out of 8 classes (if you are taking 8 classes) and still play ball.

So that would be another thread........

You can only have 2 girls from the same highschool on a team.

Didn't realize that. . . Seems unnecessary as most really competitive AAU teams seem to hand pick from a much broader pool of talent. Unlikely that there would be enough super players in the same age level from one school to get an advantage. Also, seems pointless to make a team split up in high school after maybe playing AAU together since elementary school. . . This would be really tough in KY for the smaller towns and counties that put together aau teams. . .

The rule was put into place in Ohio to make sure HS teams didn't play together year-round.

This is correct. I didnt realize after June 1 it didnt matter. Doesnt Ohio have a rule where high school coaches can only see there kids so many times during summer? With no dead period?

• 3 weeks later...

If you want your daughter to have an opportunity to improve their game (hopefully), and get the exposure to college scouts and coaches, AAU ball is necessity in today's world. It's important to do your homework, as a family, and find the right fit for your daughter. My hat is office to the Dads who step up to coach. There are also many, many AAU coaches who coach and don't have daughters who play. Is it expensive? Sure, it can be. If your daughter gets a full ride to a college it is money well spent. Every player and their family have to hopefully find the best fit for them.

If you want your daughter to have an opportunity to improve their game (hopefully), and get the exposure to college scouts and coaches, AAU ball is necessity in today's world. It's important to do your homework, as a family, and find the right fit for your daughter. My hat is office to the Dads who step up to coach. There are also many, many AAU coaches who coach and don't have daughters who play. Is it expensive? Sure, it can be. If your daughter gets a full ride to a college it is money well spent. Every player and their family have to hopefully find the best fit for them.
I think in Girls Basketball the whole notion that you have to play AAU basketball to get noticed is way overated. In fact I would argue that it hurts more girls than helps them. I have seen player after player play 60 or so games over the summer and at the end of the 60 games they are the same player as they were at the beginning of the summer. That's because they don't take the time to work on skills. They just play all summer. There is something to be said for game experience but I would contend that a player would be much better off getting in a gym 4 to 5 days a week during the summer and working on skills. There are really only 3 to 4 tournaments during the summer that are of any major importance for players as far as exposure and I would contend that even those are a gamble. Most of them are so big that the teams are spread out over 3 to 4 sites and theres no guarantee the player will be seen by most of the scouts anyway. If a player works on their skills with someone who knows what to teach them and works hard and stays consistent with it over the summer I think that player would be by far the more improved player when next years school season comes around. If your daughter has great skills because she works at it she will make enough noise in High School Basketball to get noticed by the scouts without ever playing a AAU game over the summer.

Shock...you are absolutely 100% correct...playing in front of literally 100's of scouts is a huge advantage and a "must". A college coach will tell you in a heartbeat "I will spend my budget to come to a HS game to WOO a player that I've scouted and want, but why would I spend my limited budget/time to watch 1 player at 1 mediocre game versus going to exposure tourney's and seeing 100's of players competing at the highest level".

SMP...No one is saying you shouldn't work on skills in a gym 4-5 days per week...that's a no-brainer! But, getting the highest exposure during the limited summer weekends in front of college coaches...also a no-brainer.

I think in Girls Basketball the whole notion that you have to play AAU basketball to get noticed is way overated. In fact I would argue that it hurts more girls than helps them. I have seen player after player play 60 or so games over the summer and at the end of the 60 games they are the same player as they were at the beginning of the summer. That's because they don't take the time to work on skills. They just play all summer. There is something to be said for game experience but I would contend that a player would be much better off getting in a gym 4 to 5 days a week during the summer and working on skills. There are really only 3 to 4 tournaments during the summer that are of any major importance for players as far as exposure and I would contend that even those are a gamble. Most of them are so big that the teams are spread out over 3 to 4 sites and theres no guarantee the player will be seen by most of the scouts anyway. If a player works on their skills with someone who knows what to teach them and works hard and stays consistent with it over the summer I think that player would be by far the more improved player when next years school season comes around. If your daughter has great skills because she works at it she will make enough noise in High School Basketball to get noticed by the scouts without ever playing a AAU game over the summer.

"IF" you are able to name any players that have done this I would love to know...if so, there sure aren't many.