Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AAU

Featured Replies

Any thoughts on Coaches coaching their daughter on an AAU club? I feel it is very expensive to play and then to deal with competing with the coaches daughter.

  • Replies 39
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter played on a club with the rare situation of the coach not playing favorites with his daughter. I would bet though that most situations aren't like that.

My daughter played on a club with the rare situation of the coach not playing favorites with his daughter. I would bet though that most situations aren't like that.

 

I experienced that as well, with two different AAU teams. No coaches' daughters favoritism in either case. Perhaps it isn't as rare after all.

My children played on AAU teams being coached by a parent of a player and experienced no problems at all. In some cases, if there is going to be an AAU team, the only people to step up and coach is a parent. I experienced this and had no problems with the outcome. If you feel your daughter isn't getting a fair shake, then find another team.

Guess we are in agreement; my experience with coaches and their kids playing on the same team have been all good. A parent/coach might even be harder on his own kid.

Well that was not my experience with an AAU team my daughter played on the summer of her junior year. It is funny because the coach asked my daughter to switch to his AAU team. The coach played his daughter who played the same position as my daughter and only played my daughter a few minutes a game. My daughter was really glad when that season was over and she felt the coach did not like her as a player or a person. Now my daughter has graduated and going to play college ball, the funny thing is that the coach's daughter is not even playing basketball in college!!!.

Well that was not my experience with an AAU team my daughter played on the summer of her junior year. It is funny because the coach asked my daughter to switch to his AAU team. The coach played his daughter who played the same position as my daughter and only played my daughter a few minutes a game. My daughter was really glad when that season was over and she felt the coach did not like her as a player or a person. Now my daughter has graduated and going to play college ball, the funny thing is that the coach's daughter is not even playing basketball in college!!!.

 

I'm not saying this is the case, because I don't know your circumstances... sometimes parents think their daughter/son should be playing more than what they time they do get on the floor. it's hard to know what a coach is thinking and why they do things. Is the fact that the coaches daughter isn't playing college ball because she isn't talented enough or that she doesn't want to?

  • Author

We as parents didn't complain about our daughters playing time. It was other parents coming up to us stating they don't understand how our daughter did not start over the coaches daughter. I felt this particular situation was the coach was trying to build up his daughters confidence at my daughters expense. That is fine. Next year will be a totally different situation because of the Ohio rule 2 girls per school. I didn't see this coming from this coach or my daughter would not have played.

I'm not saying this is the case, because I don't know your circumstances... sometimes parents think their daughter/son should be playing more than what they time they do get on the floor. it's hard to know what a coach is thinking and why they do things. Is the fact that the coaches daughter isn't playing college ball because she isn't talented enough or that she doesn't want to?

 

The coaches daughter was talented enough to play, but not interested. Both players were point guards with two different styles of play. I wouldn't even say one was alot better than the other, they both had great skills but the coaches daughter got away with everything and with no discipline for talking back to the coach. I never complained or said anything to the coach (I wanted too but my daughter didn't want me too and she delt with the situation very well) other parents did but it didn't matter because he wanted his daughter to play more than she did! The point I am trying to make is why would a coach bring her to the team and not give her playing time!!! The AAU team she played on the summer before, she was a starting player and if I saw this coming, she would have stayed where she was at!

Maybelle thinks the Dead Period should be reversed where u have ONLY TWO weeks that you can play during the summer the rest your off. We'd have more time to jump in the Impala and ride baby ride. Maybelle likes to go to Renfro Valley and those Renersceance Festivals where they play Gladiators you know.

With such and eye for talent you should consider coaching. By the way what an ugly baby!!

RiverDog,

 

Funny you should mention the dead period.

 

There has been a discussion to make the dead period one month long.

 

On the flip side of that, HS coaches would be able to coach their players 11 months out of the year. It would be up to the coaches at the schools to work out the who, what, where and how in regards to multiple sport athletes.

 

What say ye?

Maybelle thinks the Dead Period should be reversed where u have ONLY TWO weeks that you can play during the summer the rest your off. We'd have more time to jump in the Impala and ride baby ride. Maybelle likes to go to Renfro Valley and those Renersceance Festivals where they play Gladiators you know.

 

Do you really know anything about basketball? Basketball is a year round sport just like many other sports. Those who work get better! Those who take off, don't!

Been there, done that!!!!

The coaches daughter was talented enough to play, but not interested. Both players were point guards with two different styles of play. I wouldn't even say one was alot better than the other, they both had great skills but the coaches daughter got away with everything and with no discipline for talking back to the coach. I never complained or said anything to the coach (I wanted too but my daughter didn't want me too and she delt with the situation very well) other parents did but it didn't matter because he wanted his daughter to play more than she did! The point I am trying to make is why would a coach bring her to the team and not give her playing time!!! The AAU team she played on the summer before, she was a starting player and if I saw this coming, she would have stayed where she was at!

 

Been there, done that!!!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.