You know what annoys me when I drive?

So, if someone is doing the speed limit...does that constitute a leisurely drive? I'm just wondering where else someone can be so blatently breaking the law (doing 80 in a 65)...and get aggitated and blame those that are law abiding?

For the record...I'm usually always over the speed limit myself. I'd say somewhere in the 5-7 mph range. But, it's usually in the flow of traffic. If I find myself constantly coming up on people and having to hit the brakes...I know I'm going too fast (without having to look at the speedometer).

To me the flow of traffic is the key.

That's fine and I understand but if you are going over the limit or not that lane is for passing period. Unless you are driving wayyy faster than everyone else you should not be riding in that lane for a long period of time.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First, I am probably y'alls biggest nightmare in many cases. :lol:

I do not immediately go upon a light turning red, because there are too many times I see people cruising through redlights like they've no idea what red means, or were going too fast trying to beat it, and couldn't stop in time if they wanted to. I'll wait 5 seconds or so and make sure it's safe.

Blindspots...If I'm driving in the right lane and there's a driver going marginally faster than I in the left lane and they don't have their signal on, I'm not going to change my pace to make them more comfortable. If they want over, signal and I'll either slow down or speed up for a moment. But I'm not going to change my pace of driving.

I always use my turn signals.

If I'm in the left lane to pass a slower car and you zoom up behind me and I'm not in a safe position to get over, just chill out. I'll get past the vehicle I'm trying to pass and then get over, signaling as I do so.

Generally nothing peeves me, because I take a defensive posture in driving, not offensive.

First, I am probably y'alls biggest nightmare in many cases. :lol:

I do not immediately go upon a light turning red, because there are too many times I see people cruising through redlights like they've no idea what red means, or were going too fast trying to beat it, and couldn't stop in time if they wanted to. I'll wait 5 seconds or so and make sure it's safe.

Blindspots...If I'm driving in the right lane and there's a driver going marginally faster than I in the left lane and they don't have their signal on, I'm not going to change my pace to make them more comfortable. If they want over, signal and I'll either slow down or speed up for a moment. But I'm not going to change my pace of driving.

I always use my turn signals.

If I'm in the left lane to pass a slower car and you zoom up behind me and I'm not in a safe position to get over, just chill out. I'll get past the vehicle I'm trying to pass and then get over, signaling as I do so.

Generally nothing peeves me, because I take a defensive posture in driving, not offensive.

I think avoiding blind spot driving at all costs is one of the most defensive acts you can do while driving. The fact is, when you're in someone's blind spot, they cannot see you. No offense intended, Rockmom, but as a driver if you have anything to do with creating a scenario where a driver in your immediate vicinity cannot see your car, I don't see why you shouldn't be the at-fault party when they change lanes right into your front fender.

Sense of sight is far and away the primary sense used for driving. People rely on what they can see to tell them where they should drive and to a large extent, how fast they can/should go. Why would you ever want to take that sense away from them? ...particularly if you realize that you're in their blind spot, and it can impact the safety of you and your passengers?

Have you ever seen a wreck on the expressway when somebody clips the front end of another car at 65 mph? I have. The rear car (the blind spot driver) goes spinning out and ends up wherever momentum and centripetal force puts them. In the case of the wreck I witnessed, it causes the rear car to spin around 1 1/2 times, hit the grass median on I-275, and kill a dept. of transportation worker who happens to be collecting trash in the median.

I think avoiding blind spot driving at all costs is one of the most defensive acts you can do while driving. The fact is, when you're in someone's blind spot, they cannot see you. No offense intended, Rockmom, but as a driver if you have anything to do with creating a scenario where a driver in your immediate vicinity cannot see your car, I don't see why you shouldn't be the at-fault party when they change lanes right into your front fender.

Sense of sight is far and away the primary sense used for driving. People rely on what they can see to tell them where they should drive and to a large extent, how fast they can/should go. Why would you ever want to take that sense away from them? ...particularly if you realize that you're in their blind spot, and it can impact the safety of you and your passengers?

Have you ever seen a wreck on the expressway when somebody clips the front end of another car at 65 mph? I have. The rear car (the blind spot driver) goes spinning out and ends up wherever momentum and centripetal force puts them. In the case of the wreck I witnessed, it causes the rear car to spin around 1 1/2 times, hit the grass median on I-275, and kill a dept. of transportation worker who happens to be collecting trash in the median.

But if you are driving in the right lane like in RM's example there really isn't a sceniro where it's your fault for being in someones blind spot. If I am in the right lane and you come up in the left lane and pass me just enough to put me in your blind spot that's your fault. If you come up in the left lane and drive in my blind spot that's also your fault. If you are in the left lane and going slow enough for someone in the right lane to pass you then your in the wrong lane.

First, regarding the blind spot, how am I supposed to know it's your blindspot? I don't personally find any blind spots when I'm driving because I don't rely only on my mirrors. If I'm driving at a consistent speed, and you're driving at a consistent speed, then inevitably there's going to be a time that one of us is in the other's alleged blind spot. So, who determines whom should speed up or slow down? If you don't have a turn signal on, how am I supposed to know you want to get over?

Forgive me if I don't feel compelled to try and figure out what the other driver prefers me to do. I haven't had an accident since I was 18, and that was an accident that involved no one but my self, some rain, and bald tires.

People need to not rely totally on mirrors as in moderately heavy to heavy traffic, the person you percieve to be a blind spot offender may be driving safely and within safe parameters, if you are exercising caution as well.

Not that Rockmom can't speak for herself here...but, I will stand up for the point I believe she was trying to make. If you pass me properly (on the left hand side), then you no doubt have just "seen" my vehicle (at least I hope so!). While it may seem the "best" thing to do, it is not my responsibility to suddenly slow down and create extra distance between us, so that you can now see me in your side mirror. After all, that could create a whole new problem for the guy driving behind me!

Now as Rockmom has already stated...use your turn signal, and it's a different story.

But if you are driving in the right lane like in RM's example there really isn't a sceniro where it's your fault for being in someones blind spot. If I am in the right lane and you come up in the left lane and pass me just enough to put me in your blind spot that's your fault. If you come up in the left lane and drive in my blind spot that's also your fault. If you are in the left lane and going slow enough for someone in the right lane to pass you then your in the wrong lane.

Don't get me wrong, there are scenarios where you can be in somebody's blind spot and you as a driver are not the person creating the situation, I agree with you there. But still...if you know you're in a blind spot, or that you have driven up to where the person in the lane next to you is now in your blind spot, don't be dumb - fix the situation. In the words of my old boss, "When things start looking bad, be proactive, and extirpate the problem." Speed up, slow down, be a safe driver.

First, regarding the blind spot, how am I supposed to know it's your blind spot? I don't personally find any blind spots when I'm driving because I don't rely only on my mirrors. If I'm driving at a consistent speed, and you're driving at a consistent speed, then inevitably there's going to be a time that one of us is in the other's alleged blind spot. So, who determines whom should speed up or slow down? If you don't have a turn signal on, how am I supposed to know you want to get over?

Forgive me if I don't feel compelled to try and figure out what the other driver prefers me to do. I haven't had an accident since I was 18, and that was an accident that involved no one but my self, some rain, and bald tires.

People need to not rely totally on mirrors as in moderately heavy to heavy traffic, the person you percieve to be a blind spot offender may be driving safely and within safe parameters, if you are exercising caution as well.

First of all, when I refer to "blind spot driving", I'm referring to driving where you maintain your vehicle's position, or the position of another driver's vehicle in one or the other person's blind spot. Of course people will travel through other drivers' blind spots when passing, that's just an unavoidable fact. But people shouldn't stay there.

You can preach the necessity to not be completely reliant on mirrors all you want, and you're in the right for doing so, but the fact is, not everybody will. You can't put your trust in people doing what they should. That's why I am proactive in preventing blind spot driving - both on my own part, and and on the parts of those around me. If I'm in a blind spot (caused either by my own driving, or the driving of an adjacent vehicle) I get out of it. If I've passed a car, I drive up until I can see it in my mirrors.

As for knowing when you're in a blind spot, it's a general rule, whenever any of the roof posts of an adjacent vehicle come between you and the head of that vehicle's driver, don't count on them knowing you're there. If you're anywhere behind or beside a panel van, box truck, or semi (excepting directly next to the driver & passenger windows), don't count on them knowing you're there. General rules can help prevent major accidents. That's why they teach them in driver's ed.

blind-spot.gif

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Added Picture

Don't get me wrong, there are scenarios where you can be in somebody's blind spot and you as a driver are not the person creating the situation, I agree with you there. But still...if you know you're in a blind spot, or that you have driven up to where the person in the lane next to you is now in your blind spot, don't be dumb - fix the situation. In the words of my old boss, "When things start looking bad, be proactive, and extirpate the problem." Speed up, slow down, be a safe driver.

I agree.

I drive too fast for anyone to remain in my blindspot for long. When in my honda, if there are 2 cars that are going .005 miles per hour apart yet taking up both lanes, I've been known to go baseline (emergency lane) to get around. I'm the anti-rockmom.

I drive too fast for anyone to remain in my blindspot for long. When in my honda, if there are 2 cars that are going .005 miles per hour apart yet taking up both lanes, I've been known to go baseline (emergency lane) to get around. I'm the anti-rockmom.
:ylsuper::ylsuper: