Stay Classy Dan Gilbert

I only heard parts of this. Now I've read the entire thing. I'm sure this will help attract some of the NBA's best talent in the future. What a baby.

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE"

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/gilbert_letter_100708.html

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Gilbert did what he needed to do to protect his investment. They say that the Cavs franchise lost a quarter of its value yesterday so you can understand why Gilbert was upset. But he really echoed the real feelings of most people in Northeast Ohio and needed to do so to keep the interest level up. Does it come across as bitter? Sure. But it's something he had to do and I don't blame him.

My verbatim response to that from the other thread:

I sure would like to see the results of this motivation that couldn't properly motivate them to surround their star with enough talent. Yeah, the departure of arguably the best player in the game sure is going to boost your chances. What a joke.

From the Boozer fiasco on, that team rarely made the right moves. Yes, LBJ definitely has to shoulder the blame for some of it, but you look at a team like the Lakers or Boston, and you tell me you ever thought the supporting cast was comparable. He had to single handedly carry them to their Finals appearance, and their "help" was average talent or over the hill talent year after year. I'm sure they'll find the golden touch now.

Where were the Cavs before LBJ? Right where they'll be now.

I understand he is upset, and while I don't agree with it, if he wants to call it a betrayal, cowardly, selfish, etc., that's his prerogative. But the notion that somehow the motivation will be greater now, or that this gives them any better shot soon of winning is a complete farce.

If he doesn't come out with an apology real soon, he basically has thrown any chance of ever landing any big time players in the future. Even if it how he is feeling you can't write/say it for the world to see. You have to know life goes on.

Gilbert did what he needed to do to protect his investment. They say that the Cavs franchise lost a quarter of its value yesterday so you can understand why Gilbert was upset. But he really echoed the real feelings of most people in Northeast Ohio and needed to do so to keep the interest level up. Does it come across as bitter? Sure. But it's something he had to do and I don't blame him.

Yeah, but now all the players in the NBA are bashing him. He better hit the lottery again to get top notch talent there.

Yeah, but now all the players in the NBA are bashing him. He better hit the lottery again to get top notch talent there.

Very true. But there is no LeBron James type talent next season. Maybe Gilbert knows it is over.

Yeah, but it doesn't much matter. No one ever wants to sign with Cleveland anyway. This team will be rebuilt through wise trades and the draft. Unfortunately the Cavs don't have a great history with either.

Very true. But there is no LeBron James type talent next season. Maybe Gilbert knows it is over.

That isn't Lebron's fault. Lebron has maybe 15 total years of playing. Gilbert and his family can own the team forever. Gilbert just proved himself an incompetent professional sports owner. He was already in a bad spot. His player was a free agent. Does he not understand the business?

Yeah, but it doesn't much matter. No one ever wants to sign with Cleveland anyway. This team will be rebuilt through wise trades and the draft. Unfortunately the Cavs don't have a great history with either.

That isn't Lebron's fault either. Was he supposed to stay in Northern Ohio forever just b/c he was born there?

You know what's funny, he actually didn't have to do what he did. Dan Gilbert could have easily taken the high road and still released frustration instead of being a coward himself and taking it out on Lebron. Dan Gilbert showed his true colors last night and I guarantee that a lot of free agents will spurn the chance to play for the Cavs because of it. Who wants to go play for a team that will degrade you when you leave?

He had no right whatsoever to say all the things he did and I bet that he issues an apology in the next couple of days.

That isn't Lebron's fault either. Was he supposed to stay in Northern Ohio forever just b/c he was born there?

No, I'm not saying he should. But it was just the way it all went down that leaves Cavs fans bitter.