You make the call - Baseball Ruling - Help Needed

BigDP

Here's the situation in a Little League game this weekend:

Batter hits a high pop up between pitchers mound and third base.

The ball bounces once in fair territory and is not touched. It hits the hard ground with spin and bounces into foul territory where the third baseman catches the ball short of third base but in foul territory.

So, the ball hit the ground once in fair territory, takes a high bounce into foul territory where it does NOT hit the ground again before the fielder (also in foul territory) catches the ball. This all occurs short of the ball getting to the third base bag.

Is it a Fair or Foul ball?

The ump called the ball FOUL.

If anyone knows what the correct call is and if/where this can be found in the baseball rule book, it would be appreciated.

Definitely a foul ball. If the ball goes foul before 1st or third base and before it is touched by a fielder, it is foul. It doesn't matter where the ball hits the ground. Likewise, if a ball is rolling in foul territory before 1st or 3rd and then rolls back into fair territory before passing the base, it is a fair ball. I see umpires call foul ball sometimes as a ball is rolling down the line before it passes the base and they should not do that unless it is touched in foul territory by a fielder.

So, what you are saying it is the position of the ball (as long as it is short of the third base bag) when the fielder touches it as to whether or not it is fair or foul? Not where the ball last establishes position.

You guys must be right because I was the only one that felt it might be fair but didn't know. Everyone else seemed to think like you guys. I hate it when this happens.

My argument against the ball rolling down the line was that it (the ball) was establishing itself (fair/foul) while heading to the base and wherever the ball is when it is touched is what it is called because the ball was able to establish itself prior to being touched. My point was that this ball established itself in fair territory and not in foul territory before it was touched. I think you are saying that it is where the ball is in relation to the foul line (as long as it is before it gets to the base) when it is touched determines fair/foul. Right?

From the rule book Section 2 - Definitions:

A FOUL BALL is a batted ball that settles on foul territory between home and first base, or between home and third base, or that bounds past first or third base on or over foul territory, or that first falls on foul territory beyond first or third base, or that, while on or over foul territory, touches the person of an umpire or player, or any object foreign to the natural ground.

A foul fly shall be judged according to the relative position of the ball and the foul line, including the foul pole, and not as to whether the infielder is on foul or fair territory at the time he touches the ball.

Rule 2.00 (Foul Ball) Comment: A batted ball not touched by a fielder, which hits the pitcher’s rubber and rebounds into foul territory, between home and first, or between home and third base is a foul ball.

If you ever notice, most 1B and 3B umpires will take their initial position in Foul Ground. That way, they know if the ball hits them without moving OR if they move away from the field of play, the ball is foul without having to look down at the chalk.