What good movies have you seen lately?

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched Boyhood by Richard Linklater. Anyone else see it? It's a really good movie. Part of its acclaim is that it was filmed over 12 years as the actors grew up on their own, which is crazy in its own right, but it still tells a powerful story, if not one that's been more or less told in other films. It comes it at almost three hours but it's still worth the watch.

I think the central theme is that of how quickly time passes and things we think are insurmountable or life-altering at times end up fading into our memories and we move on to other events and problems. Basically reminding us of the story of growing up.

The latest Mission Impossible is an enjoyable time at the movies. It's pretty much exactly what you expect without being too predictable...just a good movie to relax and enjoy.

Agreed....saw it Saturday.

Watched Staten Island Summer, which I'd never heard of before until I saw it pop up on Netflix. It ended up being something like a Superbad lite. It's not a bad movie and was pretty funny throughout (e.g. Jim Gaffigan has a cameo in it playing a stereotypical middle-aged, suburban father). Could've been about 20 minutes shorter, though.

If you're looking for a decent comedy you could do a lot worse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally saw Dear White People. Wanted to see it since I saw the trailer come out a few months ago.

It was alright. Good at times. I liked a lot of it. Some of it fell flat. But I felt like there was a better movie in there trying to get out and there just wasn't enough time. It could have been a superb season of television, though. The topic was rich, the premise was solid, I was interested in the characters, but there was so much going on and so little time to do it that Justin Simien had to make a bunch of shortcuts and it showed.

Finally saw Dear White People. Wanted to see it since I saw the trailer come out a few months ago.

It was alright. Good at times. I liked a lot of it. Some of it fell flat. But I felt like there was a better movie in there trying to get out and there just wasn't enough time. It could have been a superb season of television, though. The topic was rich, the premise was solid, I was interested in the characters, but there was so much going on and so little time to do it that Justin Simien had to make a bunch of shortcuts and it showed.

Here's a better review than mine:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/17/movies/dear-white-people-about-racial-hypocrisy-at-a-college.html?_r=0