72% of Millenials More Spiritual Than Religious

Clyde

From the story:

Neither are these young Christians evangelical in the original meaning of the term — eager to share the Gospel. Just 40% say this is their responsibility.

I believe that the 40% number probably isn't different from adults that consider themselves to be "of the church."

I'd be curious to know how these numbers compare to past studies.

Comparable. Most of the research from Barna (Research Group) has followed declining trends in traditional conservative faith among the young for a decade or so now. Churches are aware of it, but do appear slow on the draw to stop it.

The path to the Almighty is narrow and sparsely traveled.

Comparable. Most of the research from Barna (Research Group) has followed declining trends in traditional conservative faith among the young for a decade or so now. Churches are aware of it, but do appear slow on the draw to stop it.

The path to the Almighty is narrow and sparsely traveled.

Are those "young" going to , for lack of a better term, "new churches" that are nondenominational and geared towards the person who wants a more casual less structured service?

Are those "young" going to , for lack of a better term, "new churches" that are nondenominational and geared towards the person who wants a more casual less structured service?

Some are, but as the study points out, most young people aren't going to any church at all. The ones who do are seeking what researchers call "a la carte" church services where they can pick and choose everything they want to "serve them" in a church. They don't want faith and worship to be hard.

I'm 32 and I'm in that same group. I was raised Catholic and I gave up on that a long time ago. I was at an Easter mass where the priest basically yelled at anyone who was there that only go to chruch for Easter and Christmas. Then when the continuous stories come out about pedophile priests being caught and just being moved around by the higher ups that cemented my belief that I was going in the right direction. In my group of friends of say 20 people there are only 2 or that regularly attend church.

On a side note only 4 or 5 follow politics enough to even name a few top issues.

Then when the continuous stories come out about pedophile priests being caught and just being moved around by the higher ups that cemented my belief that I was going in the right direction.

The Church is bigger than any pedophile priest. It's bigger than any bishop. It's even bigger than the Pope himself. I'm sorry that you feel the church has failed you on this issue (and it has failed all of us), but it sounds to me like you had your mind made up to leave long before this recent story broke.

I'm not necessarily including you on this SSC, but I'd like to know, from among those that would consider themselves spiritual but not religious, where do their concepts of spirituality come from? It's always been a baffling concept to me.

I'd also agree with some sentiments above. I'm 26, and I'm one of a very small group of my friends that attends Mass (or any church service) regularly. Of my core group of eight close friends... I'm the only one.

I wonder if this is really all that different than any other generation in the last 60 years? :idunno:

When I was growing up, if it weren't for church league softball, the numbers of that age group attending would be even less. :D

Traditional Catholic Blog, Unam Sanctam Catholicam

The link leads to an article that touches on this very thing. This entry is more dedicated to what he calls the "mass-marketing of mysticism" but it's an interesting read.

Note: this is a "Traditional Catholic" blog. The author rejects most of the Second Vatican Council and does not find the current state of the American Church encouraging, to say the least.

I'm 32 and I'm in that same group. I was raised Catholic and I gave up on that a long time ago. I was at an Easter mass where the priest basically yelled at anyone who was there that only go to chruch for Easter and Christmas. Then when the continuous stories come out about pedophile priests being caught and just being moved around by the higher ups that cemented my belief that I was going in the right direction. In my group of friends of say 20 people there are only 2 or that regularly attend church.

On a side note only 4 or 5 follow politics enough to even name a few top issues.

I mean no disrespect and this is not aimed at you in particular but IMVHO the priest abuse scandal has been used as a crutch by many that were looking for any excuse they could to leave the church. I know someone personally that was abused by a priest as a pre-teen and she tells me that because of the support she got from another priest her faith is stronger then ever.