What does Queen and the Big East Conference have in common ?

Wildcat Dad

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true at all. One could argue it is tougher to win a football title because you need to be good all season.

You might have an argument if they were playing 30 regular season games in football. It's an apples and anchovies argument...

You might have an argument if they were playing 30 regular season games in football. It's an apples and anchovies argument...

That's a hollow argument. I respect your basketball knowledge but you are off on this one. With less games, there is less margin for error. Its purely a numbers thing. No team has won a BCS title with more than 2 losses. That means (most) champions have been no worse than 12-2--which by percentage is the same as going 25-5 in basketball. There are a lot more basketball teams that have a chance to win the NCAA tourney then there are 2 loss teams that have a chance to win the BCS. And the grind is just as extreme. I'll freely admit that the Big East is the best conference in basketball. However, the SEC is the best conference in football. The difference? In football, if you are a senior and haven't redshirted, in order to have a championship ring--you have to have played in the SEC. Four straight Champs.....total domination in football. The Big East can't say the same in basketball.

That's a hollow argument. I respect your basketball knowledge but you are off on this one. With less games, there is less margin for error. Its purely a numbers thing. No team has won a BCS title with more than 2 losses. That means (most) champions have been no worse than 12-2--which by percentage is the same as going 25-5 in basketball. There are a lot more basketball teams that have a chance to win the NCAA tourney then there are 2 loss teams that have a chance to win the BCS. And the grind is just as extreme. I'll freely admit that the Big East is the best conference in basketball. However, the SEC is the best conference in football. The difference? In football, if you are a senior and haven't redshirted, in order to have a championship ring--you have to have played in the SEC. Four straight Champs.....total domination in football. The Big East can't say the same in basketball.

I'm not knocking the SEC in football in any way, but comparing the systems in place is a bad argument. The best regular season team in basketball has to go twice a week from November to early March to get that spot, and then must win 6 games in 22 days to walk away with the title. The champ in football must stay mostly perfect one day a week for 4 months and then win one more game a month later. As I said, it's apples and anchovies...

I'm not knocking the SEC in football in any way, but comparing the systems in place is a bad argument. The best regular season team in basketball has to go twice a week from November to early March to get that spot, and then must win 6 games in 22 days to walk away with the title. The champ in football must stay mostly perfect one day a week for 4 months and then win one more game a month later. As I said, it's apples and anchovies...

I see what you're saying about more games...but it isn't a good comparison. I will give you that it is easier for the best team to win the one game in a Bowl to win it all vs. having to win 6 to cut down the nets. However, the 2 games in a week is not nearly as hard as the 1 in football. I played both and never had to deal with the collisions in basketball. I did however, have to deal with a trying to heal up from a dislocated shoulder and broken hand in a week--that trumped the tired legs from basketball to play 2 games in 3 days. But I see your point in the postseason. Plus it is easier to come up with 5 good players in basketball to win than it is to come up with the 30 that it takes to win in football.

I would like to see UK and UT get to the final four to give the SEC some street cred with the awful tourney the Big East as had. Sadly I don't think the media will care they've been bashing the SEC hoops all season, when in reality it's not been that bad.

The only conference with more in the sweet 16 is the Big 11.

But the Big 12 and even lowly SEC had just as many, and since the Big East has 37 teams, they had a lower percentage then the others.

I HATE all the "OMG! The Big East has the most teams to do ... " Of course they do! They have 33% more teams than any other major conference.

It is very hard to compare the two, but lets not act like it is much easier to win one in football. One slip up over a four month period can ruin your chances, ask USC.

I would like to pat myself on the back for calling this one a while ago. Although it wasn't too complicated, it was too obvious NOT to point out.

The Big East simply did not perform well out of their conference this year. With that said, the sheer number of quality teams in their conference allows them to claim the "best conference" label, and rightfully so; however, they lack the superstar talent that has been present in the past.

With that said, I couldn't care less about the Big East losing now unless it's WVU!

I would like to see UK and UT get to the final four to give the SEC some street cred with the awful tourney the Big East as had. Sadly I don't think the media will care they've been bashing the SEC hoops all season, when in reality it's not been that bad.

:thumb: I don't agree with you alot ,lol . But I do on this one, if that should happen and both end up in the Final Four .Will the Big East still be the premiere conference to many because they look good in conference and struggle outside the conference . As a reference to there bad play outside of conference see the NCAA TOURNEY BRACKET .:popcorn:

I would like to pat myself on the back for calling this one a while ago. Although it wasn't too complicated, it was too obvious NOT to point out.

The Big East simply did not perform well out of their conference this year. With that said, the sheer number of quality teams in their conference allows them to claim the "best conference" label, and rightfully so; however, they lack the superstar talent that has been present in the past.

With that said, I couldn't care less about the Big East losing now unless it's WVU!

Most understood that starting the season. The big reason the league continued to get hyped up this season was because no other league stepped up. It could be argued that every BCS league was down this year IMO.