What does Queen and the Big East Conference have in common ?

Wildcat Dad

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very hard to compare the two, but lets not act like it is much easier to win one in football. One slip up over a four month period can ruin your chances, ask USC.

I never said it was easy. Just totally different and not comparable...

Dead serious. It's easy to bash them right now, since they've had a bad week. Who is better?

Don't let bias get in the way of the truth. Just because you don't like some of the teams in the Big East doesn't mean it isn't a quality league.

I've got a kick out of watching certain fan bases relishing in the the poor tourney performance of the league this season.

I don't believe that you can judge the conference entirely upon their showing in the tourney, it would be similar to judging the SEC strictly upon their bowl games. I feel like you can draw a comparison between the two leagues in different sports because in both they beat up on each other game after game. The depth of the Big East conference is where they are better this year in my opinion. That being said, I sure hope they don't get any final 4 teams this year.

It is very hard to compare the two, but lets not act like it is much easier to win one in football. One slip up over a four month period can ruin your chances, ask USC.

True, the regular season in football does count for a lot more than in basketball. However, as it stands right now, only 2 teams get to compete for the national championship in football. You can go undefeated and not even get the chance to play in the title game.

In basketball, there are 65 teams that have a chance to win. That means there's 64 chances for teams (even good ones) to have an "off night" and end up going home. The odds of choosing one conference, and especially one team, to come out on top just aren't as good.

I never said it was easy. Just totally different and not comparable...

They are both college sports and both have a dominant conference. Both titles are challenging to win but the football conference consistently wins their title and the basketball dominant one does not. Comparable enough for me.

True, the regular season in football does count for a lot more than in basketball. However, as it stands right now, only 2 teams get to compete for the national championship in football. You can go undefeated and not even get the chance to play in the title game.

In basketball, there are 65 teams that have a chance to win. That means there's 64 chances for teams (even good ones) to have an "off night" and end up going home. The odds of choosing one conference, and especially one team, to come out on top just aren't as good.

The Big East typically has the most teams in the tournament though correct?

That's my whole point too. Yeah, Big East was down this season. But who was better? As I just said in another post. Most every BCS conference was down this season.

:thumb:

Big East and Big 12 were the best.

Big 10 followed, and the SEC and ACC were about the same.

Pac 10 did better in the tournament than people thought but still easily the worst "major" conference.

They are both college sports and both have a dominant conference. Both titles are challenging to win but the football conference consistently wins their title and the basketball dominant one does not. Comparable enough for me.

If they were comparable systems Kansas would be playing UK next Monday after multiple weeks off to prepare in a one game winner take all situation. How did that work out???

If they were comparable systems Kansas would be playing UK next Monday after multiple weeks off to prepare in a one game winner take all situation. How did that work out???

The best, or one of the best teams, wins in football and basketball. Comparable enough for me. The SEC dominates titles in football and the Big East struggles in basketball. No way around it.

The best, or one of the best teams, wins in football and basketball. Comparable enough for me. The SEC dominates titles in football and the Big East struggles in basketball. No way around it.

Because running the gauntlet of 6 games in 2 1/12 weeks is A LOT harder than winning one game in over a month. No way around it indeed...

Because running the gauntlet of 6 games in 2 1/12 weeks is A LOT harder than winning one game in over a month. No way around it indeed...

Or being perfect, or close to, throughout the entire season in football just to get to the title game? You have admitted that winning one isn't easier than the other. I'm not sure the point you are making?

Or being perfect, or close to, throughout the entire season in football just to get to the title game? You have admitted that winning one isn't easier than the other. I'm not sure the point you are making?

The basketball title is harder to win, but that doesn't make winning the football title easy. Clear enough for you yet???

The basketball title is harder to win, but that doesn't make winning the football title easy. Clear enough for you yet???

Nope because I've yet to see an argument that shows why the basketball one is harder. Slip up once in four months in football and your title hopes could be gone. You have all year to get the kinks worked out in basketball to ramp up for the final three week run. Each of them are hard in their own right and you could type all day and not convince me that one is tougher than the other.

Nope because I've yet to see an argument that shows why the basketball one is harder. Slip up once in four months in football and your title hopes could be gone. You have all year to get the kinks worked out in basketball to ramp up for the final three week run. Each of them are hard in their own right and you could type all day and not convince me that one is tougher than the other.

Like when 2 loss LSU made the title game? A loss COULD end your title hopes in football, but how many times have undefeated teams met for the BCS title since the move to that system? Being undefeated is not a requirement...

I'm with OR on this one. Basketball and Football are plenty comparable.

Winning the tourney may be more difficult than winning the BCS, but its not any harder for Big East teams than any other basketball team.

If the Big East is so much better than the other conferences, they would have more titles. There's no reason its easier for an ACC/SEC/Big10/Big12 team to win the tourney than for a Big East team to win.