Dick Butkus coaches a high school team

JoeFan

This reality stuff is going farther and farther.

Is it true they put there coach on hold,

is it true a one game winning season is good there?

if so leave the coach on hold find one that will bring some w's and then earn the money to build a new facility.

hmmm..... am i the only one that this makes sense too?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a few coaches that never touched a football, but know the sport inside and out. They have the ability to TEACH the sport and how to deal with the kids they are teaching.

Then, I also know of coaches who were football players (good ones) that try to be coaches but do not have the patience or ability to pass the knowledge on to the kids the way it should be.

So, to answer my own question....No, I do not think that just because you played the sport makes you a good coach.

Here's my question....

Does being an ex-football player (college or pro) automatically make you a good coach?

NO! Good players do not always make good coaches, but that's not to take away from the coaches that have had distingished playing careers who are also great coaches.

Surely they can find a coach in Pennsylvania where High School Football is loved to find someone who can get this team back to where they were back in the late 90's. Just seems like a publicity stunt to me for some reason.

Think about what you're saying,.. i bet there's probably going to be some quality coaches saying "hey i'll take that challenge i'll do what i can to help out and see if i can turn things around for you all."

So of course the for the school it sort of a publicity stunt, it's going to likely help them out big time in the long run.

And if nothing else, the courage, motivation, and understanding these young men will likely get from being coached by one of the games greatest of all time is just amazing. I bet many of these young athlete's will benefit amazingly from this for years to come, regardless of the circumstances.

NO! Good players do not always make good coaches, but that's not to take away from the coaches that have had distingished playing careers who are also great coaches.

I agree excellent players don't always make good coaches,.. but it certainly motivates the players in many aspects of there lives.

It was a publicity stunt for the school, and a profitable one. Still, if you watch the show you can see that Butkis and Ray Crockett really care about what they are doing and want the kids to care about it too. They can't understand why they don't. When you hear Butkis talking about the tough inner-city kids in the places he has lived over the years and telling these kids they have to toughen up because they've had it too soft, he means it. If they were just "phoning it in", it would have been terrible and disrespectful to everyone involved, but they aren't.

Here's my question....

Does being an ex-football player (college or pro) automatically make you a good coach?

No and Butkus shows it. I don't think that he has been a good coach at all. The whole "I came here and worked this hard and you give me this"? Not a good motivating method, guilt. I don't see them getting much better unless he focuses more on fundamentals, and less on pissing and moaning about their inabilities (isn't that what a coach is for?)

IMHO of course.

No and Butkus shows it. I don't think that he has been a good coach at all. The whole "I came here and worked this hard and you give me this"? Not a good motivating method, guilt. I don't see them getting much better unless he focuses more on fundamentals, and less on pissing and moaning about their inabilities (isn't that what a coach is for?)

IMHO of course.

I disagree.

Sometimes guilt is the best motivation you can have.

I know i've been through it and wouldn't trade it for the world nor would most others who had for him from middle 70's to present time.

One of the greatest motivators around, you just have to learn to make it a positive.

• 1 year later...