Top 5 teams in the state

Much like Shelby Valley, BG was a tough call for us because the Purples seem to have the talent but as Westsider mentioned, no signature win.

But Bowling Green also hasn't done anything to knock themselves out of the rankings. And despite playing a weaker schedule, they are still 13-1 which is pretty impressive no matter who you're playing.

I'm not totally sold on the Purples either, however, so I can certainly understand the debate.

I think that's the falsest (is that a word? Most false?) statement I've ever heard in my life. You let me schedule any games I want to, and I will produce a team that is 13-1 with a whole lot of teams. A great many teams we're talking about on here would be undefeated. BG's loss to Franklin raised a lot of eyebrows considering that Franklin dismissed one of their best players in the month leading up to the beginning of the season, and were dominated most of that game until the 4th Quarter. To Bowling Green's credit, they have closed well after poor starts, and if they can figure out the beginning, then who knows. But what I see from Bowling Green is a dominant player that doesn't play when it doesn't suit him, and then mostly marginal to average players. Outside of DJ Ray, there's not a player on that team that most people would point to as even above average. If Behanan wasn't on BG, I don't know if I'd rate them higher than 7th in the 4th Region. That's just not a team I'd throw my weight behind, certainly they're not 7th in the whole state.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is IF he could put up big numbers AND his team was winning and we'll never know that answer. Dayvon Slone was unstoppable last year at Waggener but his team wasn't very good so he didn't get a lot of recognition despite putting up huge numbers.

Here we go. Slone, even at 5'8" was pretty much all they had and took every other shot. Yes though, he was a solid player.

If Justice was in the 7th, it would be a much different look on his numbers.

We just released our first edition of the BHR Fab 15 for the 09-10 season. Here's a look at our top 5:

1. Ballard (11-2)

Key Wins:

12/3 vs. Scott County, 84-81

12/15 at Trinity, 56-53

12/21 vs. Holmes (@ KOB), 60-52

Losses:

12/18 vs. Memphis Central (@ KOB), 63-67

12/31 vs. Liberty Tech (TN)(@Poplar Bluff), 62-68

2. Jeffersontown (12-1)

Key Wins:

12/8 vs. Franklin County, 75-66

12/22 vs. Male (@Bryan Station), 65-46

Losses:

12/30 vs. Woodward (OH), 50-53

3. Trinity (11-2)

Key Wins:

12/21 vs. Clark County (@KOB), 70-64

12/22 vs. Seneca (@KOB), 59-42

12/30 at Lexington Catholic (Republic Bank), 60-57

Losses:

12/4 vs. Shelby County, 56-57

12/15 vs. Ballard, 53-56

4. Holmes (10-3)

Key Wins:

12/12 vs. Memphis Central(@KY-TN Shootout), 45-40

1/2 at Mason County, 53-47

Losses:

12/5 vs. Bowman Academy (IN)(@Marshall Co. Hoopfest),58-60

12/18 vs. McEachern (GA)(@KOB), 51-59

12/21 vs. Ballard (@KOB), 52-60

5. Shelby Valley (6-2)

Key Wins:

12/12 vs. Miller Grove (GA)(@KY Farm Bureau Classic), 82-75

12/29 vs. Thomasville (GA)(@ Ocala, FL), 66-54

Losses:

12/28 vs. Rock School (FL)(@Ocala, FL), 45-50

12/30 vs. Meadow Creek (GA)(@Ocala, FL), 76-86

Wow, no Eastern?

Here we go. Slone, even at 5'8" was pretty much all they had and took every other shot. Yes though, he was a solid player.

If Justice was in the 7th, it would be a much different look on his numbers.

Big players step up in big games. The best part about Justice is that he almost always rises to the challenge. He doesn't just rack up stats on the gimme games. You guys can criticize him all you want, but the fact is that he is a player and would do very well in any region in the state.

Being in the 7th region does NOT always help a great talent in the Mr. Basketball balloting. When and who was the last Mr. Basketball out of Louisville?

I fact it often works against you, the non Louisville sections of the state have a tendency to vote against the Louisville players. Just like most people hoping that the 6th and 7th regions draw into the same Sweet Sixteen bracket to prevent an all Louisville finale.