Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu?

Ed or Hair?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Ed or Hair?

There is not a wrong choice here. Something that does not show up in a stat line is disruptions. TP lines up all over the field. He may go streaking through the backfield and turn a running back into James Harrison and its not a play that ends up on stat sheet. This is why opposing coaches and analyst that really study film have so much respect for him.

They call Reed "Big Play" for a reason what can ya say. :thumb:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is not a wrong choice here. Something that does not show up in a stat line is disruptions. TP lines up all over the field. He may go streaking through the backfield and turn a running back into James Harrison and its not a play that ends up on stat sheet. This is why opposing coaches and analyst that really study film have so much respect for him.

They call Reed "Big Play" for a reason what can ya say. :thumb:

Both Reed & Polamalu do plenty of things that do not show up in the stat sheet.

Ed Reed may be the best playmaker from the DB position in league history...it's hard to put anyone ahead of him right now. I've never seen a safety that I'd take in place of him.

:thumb: They aren't in the same league IMO. I figured this poll would go this way though, as no Steeler fan is going to vote for Reed. :ohbrother:

:thumb: They aren't in the same league IMO. I figured this poll would go this way though, as no Steeler fan is going to vote for Reed. :ohbrother:

I hate Baltimore as much as anybody, but I really like Ed Reed. He's one of my favorite players. I like Troy also...in general, I love to watch great players play. They're different types of players and they play different roles, but both are great.

I think Ed Reed is the ultimate playmaker on the defensive side of the ball.

Polamalu is a playmaker also, but not to the degree of Ed Reed. I think Polamalu is more of a disruptive force than Reed...he lines up everywhere, he's flying all over the field, so you never know where he's going to be or where he'll end up. He creates chaos for the offense...is he going to blitz or drop back? Is he playing zone or man? I've seen him come from deep to make a tackle on a run, or drop from the box to break up a pass. He's like a tornado on the field, you don't know where he'll go next, but he'll destroy what's in his path. :lol:

Ed Reed plays a more traditional safety, but he significantly affects the game from that position. You have to be aware of him and I think he forces teams to avoid his area of the field because they know what he's capable of. There's no way of ever knowing a thing like this, but I wonder how many big plays have been left on the table and passes not thrown because the QB was afraid to challenge Ed Reed. I've never seen anyone better at transitioning from defense to offense, from DB to RB, than Ed Reed.

I think those two guys are largely responsible for the evolution of the safety position in today's NFL. In the past, safeties were guys who weren't good enough to play corner, or they were corners who were past their prime. Now it's evolved into one of the most important positions in the league. A great safety can impact the game just as much as anyone.

I think you also have to factor in when the poll was presented...right after a Monday night game that most people watch, when Polamalu returned with a big game.

The Ravens are struggling a bit and Reed apparently had a bad game this weekend.