Why don’t more media outlets use the BGP rankings?

FC

While I’m not sure how many media outlets (newspapers, websites, radio stations) report the BGP rankings, it seems many that I’ve seen do not. I would imagine that many of the sports reporters in KY who cover high school football would belong to, or at least view, BGP on a regular basis.

Since almost any poll thread other than the BGP rankings seems to spur a large amount of discussion due to “questionable” practices by the voters/computers, why don’t more media outlets use the BGP rankings over these other polls/rankings? Is it an issue of copyrights?

Just wondering since I’m sure most would agree that the BGP rankings are more accurate then the Lit or AP. Isn’t it in the media’s best interest to report accuracy? I understand that media outlets affiliated with the AP would report the AP rankings, but does that prevent them from printing the BGP rankings also?

While I’m not sure how many media outlets (newspapers, websites, radio stations) report the BGP rankings, it seems many that I’ve seen do not. I would imagine that many of the sports reporters in KY who cover high school football would belong to, or at least view, BGP on a regular basis.

Since almost any poll thread other than the BGP rankings seems to spur a large amount of discussion due to “questionable” practices by the voters/computers, why don’t more media outlets use the BGP rankings over these other polls/rankings? Is it an issue of copyrights?

Just wondering since I’m sure most would agree that the BGP rankings are more accurate then the Lit or AP. Isn’t it in the media’s best interest to report accuracy? I understand that media outlets affiliated with the AP would report the AP rankings, but does that prevent them from printing the BGP rankings also?

No and no to both these questions.

The Kentucky Standard in Bardstown runs the BGP Rankings regularly.

I know that the rankings go out to about 100 people/parties/organizations statewide every week. Because it costs money to be an AP member, some sports editors may feel the need to use their rankings because they are paying for them. You may have others who aren't familiar with what we do here.

I do know that more and more media outlets are using them and of course, BGP is grateful to the ones that do.

Are the BGP Rankings actually a poll? Or are they just determined by discussion amongst BGP people in high positions?

Rankings and polls are the same thing just determined by different means. Both place teams in a numerical order, just that a poll is based on votes and rankings are based on confluted calculations based on various criteria. Eitherway if the person voting or the coputer calculating doesn’t take all things into consideration and common sense then they are flawed. That seems to be the problem with the AP poll and Lit Rankings, but isn’t so much an issue with the BGP rankings.