Cooper 74 Newport 0 (Frosh)

greeny94

Newport in very low in numbers but also in talent. I don't think they would ever be able to compete with any of the bigger schools in NYK at the frosh level.

For the most part no they wont ever compete with the big schools on the frosh level. Every so often they may have a class like they did in 96 I believe when they went undefeated and beat good teams like Cov Cath and Ryle.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is looks like a nice battle is setting up for the last regular season freshman game between Cooper and Beechwood.

IMO, after seeing both teams I don't think Cooper will have much trouble with Beechwood. But I have a ton of respect for Beechwood for playing 7th and 8th graders at the Freshman level instead of Sophomore's.

I realize Cooper doesn't play Sophomore's either, just saying.

For the most part no they wont ever compete with the big schools on the frosh level. Every so often they may have a class like they did in 96 I believe when they went undefeated and beat good teams like Cov Cath and Ryle.

You are so right - every once in awhile a solid group comes along to compete - IMO - Newport Frosh has some talented players - they just didn't produce - Cooper has a good team - good numbers - very discipline too - now would their season be different if they were in the big school bracket - maybe but who really knows - time will tell.

I'd love to see this Cooper team play the Dixie's, Highlands, Beechwoods, Boone Co's etc....and get a taste of their own medicine.

What do mean by a taste of their own medicine.They didn't want to play in the small school division in the first place it was out of their hands . The decision was made by the A.D. and Head Varsity Coach.

I'd love to see this Cooper team play the Dixie's, Highlands, Beechwoods, Boone Co's etc....and get a taste of their own medicine.

Well, they will play Beechwood. I saw Boone play and feel Cooper would be just fine there. I think you could throw Cooper, Ryle, Highlands and Cov Cath from the Freshman group and all the games would be close, but I would like Cooper's chances. Too bad we will never know. Scott County has agreed to play Cooper Thursday so maybe they will "get a taste of their own medicine" in this game. I know nothing about Scott County's team so we will see.:thumb:

What do mean by a taste of their own medicine.They didn't want to play in the small school division in the first place it was out of their hands . The decision was made by the A.D. and Head Varsity Coach.

Who is the "they"?

Do you mean the incoming students who were still in middle school when the AD and Coach put the schedule together?

The Freshmen Coaches who are in a sense employees of the AD and Head Varsity Coach?

The parents of those freshmen who of course know more than anyone?

Cooper is taking baby steps as well as they should.

Get your Frosh to believe in themselves that they can win games, not get beat by older and better established programs like the varsity is now doing.

Your Frosh thinks they can beat anyone and that is great, but the reality is that at this point, I think if they were playing the schedule that your Varsity is, their record would be the same.

Starting from nothing to become a winning program takes time, you might not like that if your son is playing for Cooper at the moment, but it's want best at the moment for the school and the program.

Cooper freshman would love to play any of these schools . They dont like playing less talent. Thats why coach Bourchers got them a game with Scott County this week. I think the ad and coach Bourchers know now that it was a mistake to put them in the lower bracket. You will see when these kids when they go to varsity next year!

Cooper freshman would love to play any of these schools . They dont like playing less talent. Thats why coach Bourchers got them a game with Scott County this week. I think the ad and coach Bourchers know now that it was a mistake to put them in the lower bracket. You will see when these kids when they go to varsity next year!

So is this a put down to the teams they have played? Cooper has a good group - so let's not put down the smaller schools that have fewer numbers.

So is this a put down to the teams they have played? Cooper has a good group - so let's not put down the smaller schools that have fewer numbers.

Not a put down at all! I just think that the big schools should stay in the same division. Its not fair to play a 3a shcool with a 6a. Thats all Just saying that when you have 40 kids on a team you will have more to pull from.

Not a put down at all! I just think that the big schools should stay in the same division. Its not fair to play a 3a shcool with a 6a. Thats all Just saying that when you have 40 kids on a team you will have more to pull from.

Thank you for clearing that up - just one quick note - Newport is 2A . :thumb: