Cooper 74 Newport 0 (Frosh)

greeny94

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the Ryle - S.K. game. They played 10:00 quarters. Who is it up too how long they are?

I heard earlier that it is up to the coaches to decide before the game between 10 or 8 min quarters. There was a soccer game following the football game so they went with 8.

From what I have been told by a person close to the Cooper program they tried to move up. Beechwood was originally in the so called big school bracket. when BW had about 10 freshman move out of the area or just leave BW it left them very short on frosh players. BW requested to move down to the small school bracket due to not having enough frosh players and it was granted.

At that time, Cooper wanted to move up and take the place of BW. This would of helped greatly, no need to do the schedule over. Just flip flop the two teams. One of two people at Cooper, either head varsity coach or AD, said no. They did not want them to play in the big school bracket. This seems pretty dumb to me,JMO.

Being somewhat familiar with some of the players at Cooper, I figured this team would have a very successful season. If any of this is a little off please correct it. I think it is pretty close to the facts though.

The game time also changed about 3 times this week. First start 6:00 then moved to 5:00 than 5:30 and when Coop got there a little late, kickoff was a little before 6:00. There was also a soccer game scheduled immediatly after the game.

In this event 8:00 min. was plenty. There wasn't really a lot Coop could do to keep score down and 10:00 min (running colck or not) would have made this a 100+ game.

From what I have been told by a person close to the Cooper program they tried to move up. Beechwood was originally in the so called big school bracket. when BW had about 10 freshman move out of the area or just leave BW it left them very short on frosh players. BW requested to move down to the small school bracket due to not having enough frosh players and it was granted.

At that time, Cooper wanted to move up and take the place of BW. This would of helped greatly, no need to do the schedule over. Just flip flop the two teams. One of two people at Cooper, either head varsity coach or AD, said no. They did not want them to play in the big school bracket. This seems pretty dumb to me,JMO.

Being somewhat familiar with some of the players at Cooper, I figured this team would have a very successful season. If any of this is a little off please correct it. I think it is pretty close to the facts though.

The bold is a little confusing but from a very good source the Freshman coach wanted to move up as he knew what he had and the varsity coach said to just leave them where they are. WHY??? We don't know. I know he wants to get that "winning" atmosphere but you only get better by playing better teams. The sad part is the kids want to prove they can play with the big boy schools and believe it or not they don't enjoy beating teams like they have been. The starters see less than a half a game which doesn't help their development. The good news is I heard last night that Scott County is coming up next week and while I don't know much about their freshman team, atleast they are a school with much success and are established.

I heard earlier that it is up to the coaches to decide before the game between 10 or 8 min quarters. There was a soccer game following the football game so they went with 8.

Thanks for the info. And please let us all know what the time and day for the Cooper Scott Cty. game.

How can they look at last year's incoming freshman and believe the same would happen again. They draw from the Boone Cty. PeeWee league, and the talent from that league feeds all the Boone Cty. HS. Incoming freshman all have the same advantage when arriving. What took place the prior year, or from the classes above them does not mean anything to the 'NEW' incoming freshman class. They start anew! Nothing prior impacts their success. The small school division was a place to hide for another year or so.

How can they look at last year's incoming freshman and believe the same would happen again. They draw from the Boone Cty. PeeWee league, and the talent from that league feeds all the Boone Cty. HS. Incoming freshman all have the same advantage when arriving. What took place the prior year, or from the classes above them does not mean anything to the 'NEW' incoming freshman class. They start anew! Nothing prior impacts their success. The small school division was a place to hide for another year or so.

This subject has been beat to death. No hiding on the part of these kids. Please feel free to contact those in charge to vent your frustration, you are not alone.

I don't blame all this on Cooper. To be honest, the quality of the freshman teams in the small school division has been disappointing. Obviously Cooper is very good. New Cath is good. Beechwood is good. I don't know anything about Holmes. The rest of the teams all could and should be better than what they have shown. And Lloyd couldn't even field a team. I will be interested in seeing what happens on the freshman level next year with the league. I could see Beechwood and NewCath joining Cooper and moving back up to the big school division. It will be a real challenge for Beechwood and NewCath but it is preferrable to be challenged and lose by a couple of TD's than to have 1 or 2 tough games a year with walk overs the rest of the schedule.

Cooper didn't throw the ball more than 2-3 times that I can remember and that was the first half. In the fourth our 3rd string QB handed off to a kid I haven't even heard of so he must have been like the 6th or 7th string back and he went outside and outran the defense for a 60 yard score. If I would have seen a score like this without seeing the game I would think they ran it up but their offense probably only scored 3 or 4 times. They did take a knee of some of the extra points and they quit fielding punts mid way thru the 2nd quarter.

As I said before in a previous post. I really think coaches need to sometimes consider passing the ball to not run up the score. I know that is something that usually people don't think over, but it makes sense. In some cases teams 2nd and 3rd teams might even still just be able to run all over people. So passing the ball might help to not run up the score. I mean if you have a second string QB, throwing to second string receivers. Then there probably will be a lot of incomplete passes, and things like that. Obviously don't be throwing deep passes, however something like that is something I think some people should consider in some cases. I know I don't think Cooper did anything wrong, and that they definitely was not trying to run up the score. Its just a suggestion though that if something like this happens again, that maybe they should consider passing the ball some, to help stop the score from getting any worst. Just games like this though it is very hard for everyone, even the winning team.