Cooper 74 Newport 0 (Frosh)

greeny94

Newport was absolutely terrible tonight. With that said, Cooper's freshman coaching staff had better learn to manage the game a little better, or when they get to the big class they will have a rude awakening coming. Let me be clear, the score was not run up, I forget how many TDs were off of poorly thrown balls for INTs. At least 3 if not 4. But taking a knee with the 1st team up 52-0 and 59-0 in the first half on an Xtra point, and then going for 2 with the 2nd team in the second half. Run your 2nd team out for xtra points if you are just going to take a knee and add salt to the wound. Just think the coaching staff should re-evaluate their game management. This score could have been 100 to nothing with ease. Also the complaining about Newport taking to much time on plays when the score is 74-0. Good luck getting that call for delay of game. Just heard that little complaint after the game. Good luck to both teams on the rest of your season.:thumb:

Great recap greeny94!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, IMO, #2's, #3's, or #37's, if you are winning a game 59-0 there is no need to throw the ball.

I think it depends. What is the game plan for the First team? What dose the J.V. and Varsity run. If they throw the ball how are the #2s. #3s. or #37s going to learn what the rest of team runs.

Cooper tried not to run up the score! They took a knee 2 times on extra points, they also put in there 2s at half time. Newport was throwing the ball and Cooper intercepted the ball every time. Should they tell there 2s not to play hard ! They also put there 3s in and they scored . Cooper has done this in every game they played to give there 2nd team some time.

I think it depends. What is the game plan for the First team? What dose the J.V. and Varsity run. If they throw the ball how are the #2s. #3s. or #37s going to learn what the rest of team runs.

If you are beating a team that bad, it is very wise to run the ball. Especially when the offense is focused on being sucessful in the running game. You should give the 2's work blocking and running, etc. You can practice your passing game in practices and in the beginning of ball games, and also games that are a little closer.:thumb:

Cooper tried not to run up the score! They took a knee 2 times on extra points, they also put in there 2s at half time. Newport was throwing the ball and Cooper intercepted the ball every time. Should they tell there 2s not to play hard ! They also put there 3s in and they scored . Cooper has done this in every game they played to give there 2nd team some time.

Yeah right Yeah right....Cooper just wanted to put up triple digits. Ha Ha JK...seriously though, sometimes you just have those nights where everything is clicking and you are just better than your opponent. The Newport kids shouldn't get discouraged, their program is on the right track and they were competing against a very good football team tonight.

Newport O-line wasn't able to stop the faster D-line of Cooper - this forced Newport's QB to hurry the passes - Newport's running backs couldn't get much going either - overall the O-line just didn't get the job done tonight. Cooper has a good group and should be a force as they mature into varsity players. Newport also has some good players and with time will develope into good varsity players.

Personally, IMO, #2's, #3's, or #37's, if you are winning a game 59-0 there is no need to throw the ball.

Coop wasn't throwing the ball.

Honestly sometimes you maybe you should throw the ball not to run up the score. I mean if a team still can't stop someones 2nd team from running down the field. Then sometimes passing the ball could be used to not run up the score. Obviously your not going to run fade routes and stuff. However running short routes likes hitches, and outs could maybe help from running the score up, because maybe the other team would have a better chance at stopping that. Situations like that when just one team is so much better than the other, it is hard to know exactly what to do. Because usually no matter what your going to have some people complaining about it.

Right on!! A lot of people, I am sure, question the move for the freshman Jags to play in the lower league. But you must keep into consideration that the decision and the scheduling process begun back in February. The decision came based completely on last years team and lack of knowledge that the freshman team would be this good. Good job Freshman Jags and keep up the hard work.:thumb:

:thumb:

I didn't keep track of every TD but I know there were atleast 2 punt returns for TD's, 3-4 interception returns for TD's, 1-2 fumble returns, maybe a KO return or it may have been one of the punts, and a safety. Most of this was in the first half. They played 8 min quarters and it was 59-0 at half. They had a running clock the 2nd half. Cooper didn't throw the ball more than 2-3 times that I can remember and that was the first half. In the fourth our 3rd string QB handed off to a kid I haven't even heard of so he must have been like the 6th or 7th string back and he went outside and outran the defense for a 60 yard score. If I would have seen a score like this without seeing the game I would think they ran it up but their offense probably only scored 3 or 4 times. They did take a knee of some of the extra points and they quit fielding punts mid way thru the 2nd quarter. Also, two starters were out, one due to injury and the other was our starting RB Taylor Centers who is now playing varsity.

My son was more excited that the coaches told the players that Scott County has agreed to come up and play us next week when we had a open date due to Lloyd's cancellation.

Great recap greeny94!

Great recap indeed. It seems to me that every one on here is assuming that Cooper ran up the score.

However, we should all take this for what it is, the possible emergence of another good 6A team in Northern Kentucky.

As long as the rules don't change by the time that Cooper "gets there" the NKY 6A district should be really exciting - that would mean two quality programs will not be allowed in the playoffs.