TonyDanza

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations to Jonathan and you too, TD. :banana:

He will be better off for the experience, no doubt.

Make sure you take notes and let me know what you can about the experience. My son is in the 6th grade and he was invited for this too, so he will be taking the ACT next year. I may need some pointers on motivating him. lol.

When is the baby due??? :D

No baby. :p

Quick synopsis:

Received 3 awards last night at the SAE scholarship dinner:

4.0 award (for having a 4.0 both semesters last year-the only brother to do so)

Dean's List Award (for making the Dean's List both semesters last year)

Most Improved GPA Award (for improving his GPA the most in his time in the Fraternity)

His favorite part....when they announced his 4.0 award, the restaurant comp'd his dinner. :D

And his scholarship has been extended to include graduate school.

Take it seriously and tell your son to take it seriously, it is a good stepping stone to a lot of things. There is some, what I call scam stuff (not part of the Duke program) that you will get trying to get you to spend money on this and that program, so make sure you research where requests come from.

My son was part of this program. It gets their name out there in front of a lot of people that matter. Also, my son told me, that his year, 86% of the students in the Governors Scholar program were in the Duke program.

He actually gets paid to go to school. He's at UK. Get's tuition, fees, room, board, and has $2000.00 per semester stipend to cover other expenses. Not counting individual scholarships he has won.

My advice is to take the ACT. It is more universally looked at.

When my son was in the 7th grade the only way a 7th grader could take the ACT is through this program. Not sure if that is still the case.

I would recommend that you have him take an ACT prep course, Sullivan in Lexington has one before every ACT test (there a several places that have them). My son got a 23 as a 7th grader and it put him on the top of everybodies list.

People may think I'm nuts, but if you can afford the $700, the Sylvan ACT Prep course is the best by far. But then again, $700 is nothing compared to a 4 year academic scholarship.

Maybe if they put a seatbelt on his chair that won't be necessary.

Or you could sit next to him and if he trys to get up...run over him! :p:p:lol:

Silly girl! This thread is for Jonathan! I'm not going to threadjack! :p

What is this "threadjacking" you speak of?? Never heard of it! :idunno::clap::idunno::clap:

Congrats to little Jonathan. Make sure to give him a Red Bull or three before the test.... :lol:

I don't think so...you know the kid....Red Bull's the LAST thing he needs. :lol:

Please NO RED BULL!!! :taz::taz::taz::taz:

Take it seriously and tell your son to take it seriously, it is a good stepping stone to a lot of things. There is some, what I call scam stuff (not part of the Duke program) that you will get trying to get you to spend money on this and that program, so make sure you research where requests come from.

My son was part of this program. It gets their name out there in front of a lot of people that matter. Also, my son told me, that his year, 86% of the students in the Governors Scholar program were in the Duke program.

He actually gets paid to go to school. He's at UK. Get's tuition, fees, room, board, and has $2000.00 per semester stipend to cover other expenses. Not counting individual scholarships he has won.

My advice is to take the ACT. It is more universally looked at.

When my son was in the 7th grade the only way a 7th grader could take the ACT is through this program. Not sure if that is still the case.

I would recommend that you have him take an ACT prep course, Sullivan in Lexington has one before every ACT test (there a several places that have them). My son got a 23 as a 7th grader and it put him on the top of everybodies list.

People may think I'm nuts, but if you can afford the $700, the Sylvan ACT Prep course is the best by far. But then again, $700 is nothing compared to a 4 year academic scholarship.

If I remember correctly doesent cost about $3000 to go to Duke for the summer program as a 7th grader? My girl took the ACT for the Duke Talent Program then was invited for the summer program at Duke but it was way to expensive for me.

I am taking it seriously without freaking him out if that makes any sense.

I have heard/seen there are other programs that cost and arm and leg outside this first step. Needless to say he won't be doing those promgrams unless Birdsfan finally steps up to the plate to be my sugga daddy! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

If I remember correctly doesent cost about $3000 to go to Duke for the summer program as a 7th grader? My girl took the ACT for the Duke Talent Program then was invited for the summer program at Duke but it was way to expensive for me.

It was pricey; we didn't do it. Things still worked out.

Although one of the things my son did get at age 12 soon after taking the test was an offer for a $10,000 limit Mastercard. Someone got hold of the TIP mailing list...