Anderson Silva to Heavyweight?

Fighting Okami would allow Silva to avenge his last loss...even though it was via DQ for an illegel upkick. It was a pretty awesome kick. It would be a massacre though. It definitely wouldn't be the best opponent for Silva if the UFC is truly interested in upping the competition level for him. He has to move up.

The next 2 fights at MW will determine what Silva does, IMO....The best fighters in the MW class are fighting one another...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the move to HW, for Silva, is an interesting thought....but what about GSP @ MW?

That could be an intersting matchup as they've both got an outstanding 'all-around' skillset, with advantages going to both in certain areas.

Later.

What advantage does GSP have? He thrives on takedowns and wrestling...both of those would be negated against a guy like Silva. He'd be forced to fight on his feet and he'd get knocked out like pretty much every other guy who has stepped into the octagon against Silva.

If he can't stand and take a punch from Matt Serra, he sure ain't going to against the greatest striker in MMA history.

JMO

I'd like to see it, but there wouldn't be any suspense about the outcome.

I think Silva needs to move to 205 and GSP needs to move up to 185. Both guys have annihilated their weight classes and need some competition.

There's no point in either staying where they are. Is anyone excited about GSP vs. Mike Swick or Martin Kampmann.

I think Silva needs to move to 205 and GSP needs to move up to 185. Both guys have annihilated their weight classes and need some competition.

There's no point in either staying where they are. Is anyone excited about GSP vs. Mike Swick or Martin Kampmann.

I wouldn't mind seeing GSP vs Swick. Swick has only lost once in the UFC and that was a unanimous decision loss at middleweight to Yushin Okami.

He's not a bad fighter at all. He has some decent wins over Joe Riggs, David Loiseau, Josh Burkam, Marcus Davis, Ben Saunders and Jonathan Goulet.

Could he beat GSP? Probably not, but he'd have as good of a chance as anyone in the WW division IMO. Not to mention he's a big welterweight.

Not sure right now. Silva doesn't want to fight Hendo though.

Rumor is its off, even though Hendo offered to fight @ 205...............

Hollywood wants a piece of Silva BAD..........Silva not so much........

Not sure right now. Silva doesn't want to fight Hendo though.

I wonder why. Has he given a reason?

I don't think he wants to do anything other than box Roy Jones, Jr.

He's becoming unfocused and unmotivated...he'll lose soon. :lol:

I wouldn't mind seeing GSP vs Swick. Swick has only lost once in the UFC and that was a unanimous decision loss at middleweight to Yushin Okami.

He's not a bad fighter at all. He has some decent wins over Joe Riggs, David Loiseau, Josh Burkam, Marcus Davis, Ben Saunders and Jonathan Goulet.

Could he beat GSP? Probably not, but he'd have as good of a chance as anyone in the WW division IMO. Not to mention he's a big welterweight.

I'm sure he's good. Maybe he's better than I'm giving him credit for and he'll give GSP all he wants. But, I just don't see it.

2-3 more dominating wins at 170, and the WW division with GSP will be in the same shape as the MW with Silva. There will be no point in shuffling through #1 contenders only to see GSP annihilate each and every one of them. Honestly, I'd rather see him fight BJ Penn again.

He probably needs to dominate a couple more title contenders just to drive the point home, but after that, moving up to 185 makes a lot of sense.

After the Swick fight, I'd seriously consider giving GSP a mid-level MW to get his feet wet...like Silva vs. Irvin.

I think a GSP vs. Hendo fight at 185 could be a good one.

:thumb:

I wonder why. Has he given a reason?

I don't think he wants to do anything other than box Roy Jones, Jr.

He's becoming unfocused and unmotivated...he'll lose soon. :lol:

He doesn't think Hendo deserves a title shot. He thinks Hendo should fight the winner of Marquardt/Maia and the winner of that fight deserves a title shot. I think Silva should fight who the UFC tells him to personally.

He doesn't think Hendo deserves a title shot. He thinks Hendo should fight the winner of Marquardt/Maia and the winner of that fight deserves a title shot. I think Silva should fight who the UFC tells him to personally.

The UFC will make that clear to Silva....

I think that would be a very hard road for all three fighters, Any combination you throw out there, Would be a tough pick IMO...

What advantage does GSP have? He thrives on takedowns and wrestling...both of those would be negated against a guy like Silva. He'd be forced to fight on his feet and he'd get knocked out like pretty much every other guy who has stepped into the octagon against Silva.

If he can't stand and take a punch from Matt Serra, he sure ain't going to against the greatest striker in MMA history.

JMO

I'd like to see it, but there wouldn't be any suspense about the outcome.

I just think with GSP being the best MMA wrestler in the sport, it would work to his advantage.

JMO,

Later.