Hedo Turkoglu to Toronto Raptors

http://www.seattlepi.com/scorecard/nbanews.asp?articleID=260890

5 years, $60,000,000. Apparently his wife had some influence on him in choosing Toronto.

A source says Turkoglu's wife wanted badly to live in Toronto, a far more European-style city, and that's where it appears the Turkish native is headed. The Raptors have embraced the Euro game under GM Bryan Colangelo, building a roster that includes Euro talents Jose Calderon and Andrea Bargnani.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a nice time being a nobody in Toronto. I would of took less money and stayed in Orlando before I would've went to Toronto and watched my career rot away.

How much less? Do you have a cutoff, or would you play for peanuts to be on a better team?

Turkoglu did the smart thing by cashing in while his stock was high based on a tremendous playoff performance. This was his chance for the big payoff. His stock was as high as it would ever be this off-season. He seized the opportunity.

I can't fault a guy for that. Besides that, we don't know what was influencing/motivating his decision.

Have a nice time being a nobody in Toronto. I would of took less money and stayed in Orlando before I would've went to Toronto and watched my career rot away.

Really? You'd turn down millions of dollars. It sounds nice, but lets say the Magic offered him 12-14 million less for the 5 years? Could you turn that down? Sure 6 million a year sounds nice, but 10 sounds even better. It's all about the money. Players like Turk have to cash in. A player like Kobe or LeBron could play for the veterans minimum because of all the endorsements they have. Have you ever seen Turkoglu in a McDonald's comercial?

Really? You'd turn down millions of dollars. It sounds nice, but lets say the Magic offered him 12-14 million less for the 5 years? Could you turn that down? Sure 6 million a year sounds nice, but 10 sounds even better. It's all about the money. Players like Turk have to cash in. A player like Kobe or LeBron could play for the veterans minimum because of all the endorsements they have. Have you ever seen Turkoglu in a McDonald's comercial?

Really, I would. I think I could live of 6 million a year.

Hedo is getting old, tells a lot about his character to me. He's made millions, at a certain point a championship would become important. All that beng said, he is way over-hyped because of the season he had this year. He hasn't been much more than a role player throughout his career. Not worth that kind of cash.

I know why he did it, just saying I would rather make less and not play in Canada.

How much less? Do you have a cutoff, or would you play for peanuts to be on a better team?

Turkoglu did the smart thing by cashing in while his stock was high based on a tremendous playoff performance. This was his chance for the big payoff. His stock was as high as it would ever be this off-season. He seized the opportunity.

I can't fault a guy for that. Besides that, we don't know what was influencing/motivating his decision.

Look, the guys make so much money it really doesn't matter. 6 million and a chance for a ring would do me just fine. That's just me though, a middle class working guy. Of course he did the smart thing financially, but there is more to life that money..... like not living in Canada and having a chance to win a ring.

Really, I would. I think I could live of 6 million a year.

Hedo is getting old, tells a lot about his character to me. He's made millions, at a certain point a championship would become important. All that beng said, he is way over-hyped because of the season he had this year. He hasn't been much more than a role player throughout his career. Not worth that kind of cash.

I know why he did it, just saying I would rather make less and not play in Canada.

Why would he care where he plays? He's not American. Toronto is more of an international city than Portland.

Look, the guys make so much money it really doesn't matter. 6 million and a chance for a ring would do me just fine. That's just me though, a middle class working guy. Of course he did the smart thing financially, but there is more to life that money..... like not living in Canada and having a chance to win a ring.

If the Magic were only going to offer 6 million, and now he's going to make 10 million that is a 66.7% increase in money for next season. I don't know your occupation but lets say this:

Hypothetically, you had an easy job making 60 thousand a year. Then you were offered a job in the same place and it payed 100 thousand per year but required that you put in 5 more ours per week. Would you not be inclined to take it? You can certainly live a very full life making $60,000 per year, but most people would go for the money.

In pro sports, or just about any other job you have to go for the money when it's available. The difference between 6 million and 10 million per? How about setting your family up for a few more generations? At the end of the day I think you have to ask yourself, "If I'm a retired player would I rather..."

a. have a championship ring and potentially be broke?

b. have no championship rings and have myself and my family secured for life?

6 Million seems like a lot, but plenty of athletes have blown more money than that. Look at Tyson. You have to go for the money.

I am with LCPats, I would take less money to win. Yes, 6 million more less, maybe more. I hate losing. period. No amount of money would take the pain of losing. I make way less than that now. You are going to pay me 1 million a year to play basketball?????? Sorry, I'd play for free on a team that will win. As has been said before, some people value winning more than money(me, LCPats, a few others) while a lot of you would take more money to lose.

To each his own.......

Losers............albeit rich ones, but losers nonetheless....................:lol::D(just kidding:D)