Coaching 2 Sports

We went to a basketball game at Brossart a few weeks ago, and there were several banners on the walls for successful girls' sports teams. It seemed like the same person was the coach for many of them, but I can't remember the name.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mac Whitaker (Harrison Co.) used to coach baseball and girls basketball.

Bart Rison (Montgomery Co.) used to coach boys basketball and softball.

Greg Letcher (Nicholas Co.) used to coach Football, track and tennis at the same time!

Mac Whitaker is the only one that's probably pulled that off with success. Don't think it is a good idea whatsoever, especially with schools that don't have good feeder systems from 1st grade on up. Those kids of Whitaker's,(baseball and girl's basketball) knew what they were doing before reaching high school, the teaching process wasn't as difficult, thing is though Whitaker probably did all the feeder system coaching as well, special is all you can say about him.

I think back in the 90's the two basketball coaches at Brossart pulled it off very well. You had Kues winning state titles in cross country and winning 20 games a year in basketball. You had Sieter who became the winningest coach at Brossart in 5 seasons in basketball and winning the first ever district title and also winning a tremendous amount of baseball games.

We went to a basketball game at Brossart a few weeks ago, and there were several banners on the walls for successful girls' sports teams. It seemed like the same person was the coach for many of them, but I can't remember the name.

Dave Schuh - in his 28th consecutive year of coaching girls track and girls cross-country. Schuh has won five state Class "A" State Girls Track championships - 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001. He is still seeking his first state girls cross-country championship. Has been in the money several times, but hasn't won one.

Mustang Brossart has had many of these coaches. How do you feel it works?

We've never had a problem with it. I think it goes with the territory.

I think that in small schools in order to provide our student/athletes with qualifed people, coaches have to double up.

Bob Rowe doubled as our JV Basketball coach and Head Baseball coach for at least 11 years. If it's tough on anyone it's tough on the coach himself, especially if he coaches a back to back sport such as Bob did with basketball/baseball. Then tack on basketball summer open gyms, scrimmages, team camps, etc., and you meet yourself coming and going.

Curt Bezold presently goes from JV basketball to Freshmen baseball.

Kues went Cross-Country/Girls basketball back-to-back and I know that basketball got started a little later than normal, but it all came out in the wash.