2009 AP All-State Team

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/blog.html

Hood, Mathies named POYs

Two University of Kentucky basketball signees have captured Player of the Year honors by the Associated Press in the state of Kentucky.

Madisonville's Jon Hood (left) was named Boys' Player of the Year, while Iroquois' Adia Mathies (right) won the Girls' Player of the Year honors. The two were named by the state's media outlets.

Joining Hood on the first-team All-State team were Elliott County's Jonathan Ferguson, Lexington Catholic's Vee Sanford, Scott County's Richie Phares and Covington Holmes' Elijah Pittman.

Three juniors - Shelby Valley's Elisha Justice, Holmes' Ricardo Johnson and Scott County's Chad Jackson - joined Elliott County's Ethan Faulkner, Corbin's Josh Crawford and Anderson County's C.J. Penny on the second team.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honorable mention:

Darren Ballou, Adair Co.; Aaron Cosby, Lou. Jeffersontown; Tate Cox, Knott Central; Chris Dowe, Lou. Eastern; Dakotah Euton, Scott Co.; Ge-Lawn Guyn, Scott Co.; Cameron Hall, Glasgow; Madison Johnson, Corbin; Timmy Knipp, Elliott Co.; Daniel Linder, Central Hardin; Russ Middleton, Mason Co.; Cody Miller, Knox Central; Eric Mosley, Lou. Moore; Demarco Phillips, Bardstown; Matt St. John, South Laurel; Josh Smith, Corbin; Robbie Stenzel, Clark Co.; James David Strange, Pineville; Corey Wilford, Christian Co.; Aaron Wilson, Fulton City; Vinny Zollo, George Rogers Clark

IMHO, Stenzel should have been higher. I know he is a sophomore, but he was one of the best guards I have seen all season. I also think Seidel from North Laurel deserved to be on the honorable mention list. He has been one of the best offensive players I have seen the past few seasons.

An honor for small class A school Elliott to have someone on the All-State Team. Not only one player, but they have 3 players listed among the names. Congrads to Jonathan Ferguson (FERG) on making the 1st team and Ethan Faulkner (ET) on making the second team. Also, Timmy Knipp made honorable mention. Congrads to T. Knipp. Was surprised that Evan Faulkner was not listed among the honorable mention names. He has signed a scholarship with D-1 Radford who by the way made the big dance winning both the regular season and tournament Big South crowns.:ylsuper:

Honorable mention:

Darren Ballou, Adair Co.; Aaron Cosby, Lou. Jeffersontown; Tate Cox, Knott Central; Chris Dowe, Lou. Eastern; Dakotah Euton, Scott Co.; Ge-Lawn Guyn, Scott Co.; Cameron Hall, Glasgow; Madison Johnson, Corbin; Timmy Knipp, Elliott Co.; Daniel Linder, Central Hardin; Russ Middleton, Mason Co.; Cody Miller, Knox Central; Eric Mosley, Lou. Moore; Demarco Phillips, Bardstown; Matt St. John, South Laurel; Josh Smith, Corbin; Robbie Stenzel, Clark Co.; James David Strange, Pineville; Corey Wilford, Christian Co.; Aaron Wilson, Fulton City; Vinny Zollo, George Rogers Clark

Is the full listing linked somewhere?

Was surprised that Evan Faulkner was not listed among the honorable mention names. He has signed a scholarship with D-1 Radford who by the way made the big dance winning both the regular season and tournament Big South crowns.:ylsuper:

This was the first thing that jumped out at me and I'm wondering if there wasn't some mix up at the AP. I wouldn't be surprised to get into work later today and see a correction.

I could be mistaken, but I think it only takes one first team vote or two second team votes to get on the honorable mention. Considering I gave him a second team vote, I find it a little hard to believe that nobody else in the state did.

IMHO, Stenzel should have been higher. I know he is a sophomore, but he was one of the best guards I have seen all season. I also think Seidel from North Laurel deserved to be on the honorable mention list. He has been one of the best offensive players I have seen the past few seasons.

Congratulations to all the 13th region players who are on these lists. Three from Corbin on honorable mention and Crawford on the second team no wonder they are in the sweet sixteen. I agree Seidel should be at least on the HM list.