Hiring Within

How professional is it to post a vacancy when a school knows that they are going to hire from within the system? Is it fair to automatically give no one else a shot at a job?

It is very professional because that is what they have to do. Now if you mean is it fair, probably not. I agree it can be misleading and time consuming for others but such is life.

How professional is it to post a vacancy when a school knows that they are going to hire from within the system? Is it fair to automatically give no one else a shot at a job?

If someone within is deserving of the job is it fair to that person (who is within and deserving) to give someone else a shot at the job?

As for the first part of your question about posting when they know they are going to hire within? I think they should be up front with all applicants and let them know someone internally is being considered...

This is just my opinion......

Edited by JimmyV
Grammar

I believe the Law is that it has to be posted for 30 days unless an emergency situation is presented, such as season is starting.

There is no law that I know of or do friends of mine that are teachers stating a coaches position has to be posted. Only teachers positions have to be posted.

There is no law that I know of or do friends of mine that are teachers stating a coaches position has to be posted. Only teachers positions have to be posted.

Jefferson Co. is required to post job openings in sports for at least two weeks before interviews can take place

The law does not require posting of coaching positons. The law does require posting of teaching positions for 30 days, unless the time frame is within 30 days of school starting. In this case, the district must ask for a wavier, which is a formality. If the coaching postion is going to be attached to a teaching postion then it would require a 30day window to select the coach. A local school district may have their own requirements of how and where a coaching postion will be posted.