2009 North Laurel

Ram

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope I think 3wishes said it best. They got a group together to do find the right coach and they had some applicants but things did not pan out and now they have narrowed it down to a certain few is what I've been told. I don't think they are dragging their feet, IMO they didn't drag their feet enought that is why they are where they are.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

Bottom line they are dragging their feet. IMO they have too many people trying to make the decision. That is why I think some coaches have turned away from the job, too many bosses to answer too.

Not at all. They want to make the right hire, not just a fast hire. I know that Mike Black and Jimmy Durham are on the same page and will make the hire they feel is best for the program. They also are making sure that there are no loose ends and are making a hire for the long term. I would MUCH rather they take their time now than regret doing a rush job later. They just started the interview process about 4-5 weeks ago after the postseason was over.

You do realize 4 or 5 weeks is about 4 or 5 times longer than NFL teams take? Or about twice as long as NCAA team take. I have been around these types of things before and I really don't like how this 1 is turning out. I hope it is good for the NL program but the longer it goes on the least likely it will be sucessfull IMO.

You do realize 4 or 5 weeks is about 4 or 5 times longer than NFL teams take? Or about twice as long as NCAA team take. I have been around these types of things before and I really don't like how this 1 is turning out. I hope it is good for the NL program but the longer it goes on the least likely it will be sucessfull IMO.

And you realize NFL teams & coaches have many more resources involved in the process to expedite it as well? They also have an application process which takes time before the interviews can begin.

I know those persons involved very well and I feel very confident that they will make a good hire and are doing everything they can to create the best situations for the kids in the long term, not just the upcoming season. I have been around these situations before and also understand that there are other factors involved (teaching and administrative positions open, etc). In Laurel County, with very few exceptions, they do not create teaching/admin positions for coaches. This has a HUGE impact on head coaches and possible assistants. I know of one head coach who inquired, but could not move on the job as there was no job in the Laurel County system open for his wife comparable to what she has right now. Some school systems seem to find jobs (or create them) and that just doesn't happen here.

In Laurel County, with very few exceptions, they do not create teaching/admin positions for coaches. This has a HUGE impact on head coaches and possible assistants. I know of one head coach who inquired, but could not move on the job as there was no job in the Laurel County system open for his wife comparable to what she has right now. Some school systems seem to find jobs (or create them) and that just doesn't happen here.

Exactly, that severly impacts the pool of canidates possible for the job. They needed to make that clear upfront and not allow people to piece the puzzle together. Another example of too many decsion makers. 1 says one thing only to find out something different from another. I really do wish them luck hope whoever it is succeds b/c the players/community deserve an oppurtunity to win.:thumb:

Ridiculous comparison. NFL teams and NCAA programs don't have to find teaching and/or administration jobs for assistant coaches or coaches wives. In bringing in a qualkity coach, there are several moving pieces that need to be put together.

Teams that are in the NFL, NCAA, don't really need to worry about a job for maybe a wife or something similar. I think it is in the kids best interest to take the extra time find the right coach, instead of having to go through the whole process again in a couple of years. That program needs some stability more than anything. Remember NFL coaches and NCAA coaches make a little bit more money than the high school coaches.

Exactly, that severly impacts the pool of canidates possible for the job. They needed to make that clear upfront and not allow people to piece the puzzle together. Another example of too many decsion makers. 1 says one thing only to find out something different from another. I really do wish them luck hope whoever it is succeds b/c the players/community deserve an oppurtunity to win.:thumb:

I spoke with a school board member last night and his take on the situation is that the school board is responsible for educating our youth. Athletics, while a very important part of this education, is not the primary focus and they cannot afford to create positions just to accomodate a coaching staff. They will do all that they can, but they have to compare the positions a coach needs to fill his staff to what they have available before both sides can make their decisions, and that takes a little time. I truly believe they will make a good choice and I, like most, hope it is very soon.

Its not only the fact they will not create positions for coaches, but when working with the positions that are available or becoming available they dont seem to work with a coach to get someone in there that can help a sport. You can find both a good teacher and a good coach, they can go hand in hand. What I see in Laurel Co. are a lot of 7:30 to 3:00 teachers that don't do anything to help the school out with extra curricular activities, and I am not just talking about just about sports. Young teachers should almost be expected if not required to coach or help in some other way. Mind you this is not the case in all situations, but something to be pondered.

Its not only the fact they will not create positions for coaches, but when working with the positions that are available or becoming available they dont seem to work with a coach to get someone in there that can help a sport. You can find both a good teacher and a good coach, they can go hand in hand. What I see in Laurel Co. are a lot of 7:30 to 3:00 teachers that don't do anything to help the school out with extra curricular activities, and I am not just talking about just about sports. Young teachers should almost be expected if not required to coach or help in some other way. Mind you this is not the case in all situations, but something to be pondered.

:clap::clap:I agree that is why they have had the limited sucess in their football programs.

I agree. But once these teachers get tenure, you have to have an awfully good reason to let them go, and replacing them so that you have a good assistant football coach won't cut it.

I disagree that young teachers should be expected or required to coach. They should help with some extra curricular activities, and many do, ... but you cannot require them to coach. Many of them know nothing about a sport and would be more of a hindrance than a help.

I also know that they do work with coaches, but if the positions aren't there, they aren't there. EG. One potential applicant needed an assistant principals job or higher for a spouse, ... however, their were no openings. Should they fire someone or must make up a job they don't have to bring them in when many teachers have to purchase some of their own supplies as it is? I also know for a fact that just last year, North Laurel got a husband & wife team (1 football coach and 1 softball coach) who came from Tennessee and they both found teaching jobs and have been major assets to the programs they are coaching and the students they are teaching. They absolutely do work with them, but if they jobs aren't there, they just can't create them.