2009 North Laurel

Ram

Sort of makes me wonder how many more years Coach Tom Larkey will coach. He has said Harlan County would be his last coaching job but he has never said how long he was staying. I'm sure he will stay long enough to leave a legacy in Harlan County. If he hasn't already done that!

He isn't going anywhere, he has already gotten many things going for the youth to come in and be ready in a few years. Great program in Harlan County and the staff is top notch, it makes it easier on a coach when that is the case.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't work in a school system or coach. So no I did not.

Good luck to the Jags hope they have sucess. I have no axes to grind. Only stating just b/c you are the son of a good coach don't mean you are a good Coach. Not sure of what other qualifications he has besides the bloodlines? Again I will say a very interesting hire hope it works out.

Then ANY assistant coach falls short don't they? He has been an assistant in a top notch program for 18 years, ... has grown up in the game, .... and can relate to the kids. He has energy, knowledge of the game, a very hard worker, enthusiasm, etc.

Many thought he would apply a few years ago when Duncum left, but he did not. He felt he needed a few more years in a coordinators role. He has done that and if you aren't going to hire a seasoned head coach, ... you go with a seasoned assistant and if indeed it is Chris Larkey as is being reported, .... GREAT HIRE!!!! :thumb:

Then ANY assistant coach falls short don't they? He has been an assistant in a top notch program for 18 years, ... has grown up in the game, .... and can relate to the kids. He has energy, knowledge of the game, a very hard worker, enthusiasm, etc.

Many thought he would apply a few years ago when Duncum left, but he did not. He felt he needed a few more years in a coordinators role. He has done that and if you aren't going to hire a seasoned head coach, ... you go with a seasoned assistant and if indeed it is Chris Larkey as is being reported, .... GREAT HIRE!!!! :thumb:

He is young, and could have a long tenure if he chooses.

I agree with everything Mountain Thunder A.K.A. Papaw said. I believe if Larkwy is the new head coach he'll do a great job. He'll bring excitement and a lot of knowledge to the table. The cupboard isn't bare at North and he'll do just fine. Instead of questioning the hire, how about supporting it.

I wish all the best for Larkey.

He felt he needed a few more years in a coordinators role.

He was never in a Coordinator's role, that is my point. His dad called the offense and Tony called the defense. Never the less I hope this is a good hire for NL.

He was never in a Coordinator's role, that is my point. His dad called the offense and Tony called the defense. Never the less I hope this is a good hire for NL.

Tom let him call a lot more of the offense than you may think. Tom had a great deal of faith in Chris and loved his competitive spirit and how it fired up the kids. 18 years as an assistant under a great coach, ... he is ready.

From TimesTribune.com

New football coach at North Laurel drawing near

By Travis Smith / Staff Writer

Despite rumors of a new football coach hire at North Laurel High School, athletic director Jimmy Durham said Monday that is not the case.

“We are still conducting interviews for the open position,” Durham said. “Once interviews are completed, we could have an announcement by the middle of the week.”

Durham added that a press conference would be held revealing the new coach once the process is complete.

From TimesTribune.com

New football coach at North Laurel drawing near

By Travis Smith / Staff Writer

Despite rumors of a new football coach hire at North Laurel High School, athletic director Jimmy Durham said Monday that is not the case.

“We are still conducting interviews for the open position,” Durham said. “Once interviews are completed, we could have an announcement by the middle of the week.”

Durham added that a press conference would be held revealing the new coach once the process is complete.

Good post! That is why I keep saying IF Larkey is the new coach. I am sure the kids and parents are excited to find out who it will be! :thumb:

Congrats Mountain Thunder.:thumb:

Actually both of my grandson's parents graduated from North Laurel, played sports there and their apartment is in that district. One of their friends even got him a mini pullover hoodie sweatshirt with JAGS on the front and his name on the back! :thumb: