2009 North Laurel

Ram

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What position does he play?

Linebacker, mostly outside if memory serves. Very agressive player. He did run the ball on offense a few times and runs hard. But is better attacking the ball on defense. I always liked Abbott's quote on this type of player "Has a good nose for the football and is in a bad mood when he gets there." This describes Sulfridge.

That game is on October 10th.

The North schedule is as follows:

8-21 North Laurel vs. Pulaski County

8-28 North Laurel at Knox Central Cumberland Valley Bowl

9-4 North Laurel vs. South Laurel

9-11 North Laurel at Corbin

9-18 OPEN

9-25 North Laurel vs. Clay County*

10-2 North Laurel vs. Perry County Central*

10-9 North Laurel at Harlan County*

10-16 North Laurel at Whitley County*

10-23 North Laurel at Letcher County Central*

10-30 North Laurel vs. Jackson County

11-6 1st Round

11-13 2nd Round

11-20 Regional Championship

11-27 Semifinals

12-4 State

I don't believe North Laurel plays at Knox Central during the Cumberland Valley Bowl. I believe it's at South Laurel this year.

Man, that's a tough stretch of road games toward the end of the season for the Jaguars.

I don't believe North Laurel plays at Knox Central during the Cumberland Valley Bowl. I believe it's at South Laurel this year.

Man, that's a tough stretch of road games toward the end of the season for the Jaguars.

Your right, that is at South Laurel this year, I just added the AT because it was a road game.

• 2 months later...

Talked with Chris today. He really has his hands full. But he really knows what he wants to do and is determined to get there. It will take time as Rome wasn't built in a day, but I am convinced that given time, North Laurel will be a district contender.

Sounds like his staff is nearly complete now with Dagley, McWhorter and Carson staying, Daq Larkey coming on board, Brad Larkey helping with the freshman team. Also, hopes to have his D coordinator on board very soon. He has 34+ 8th graders lifting weights right now. He has changed their workout routines and they are already getting stronger. They worked the entire spring on hitting, and getting back to playing more physical. In 2-3 years, this will be a MUCH different team than we have seen the past few seasons. He has seen how a solid program is built and is putting into play what he has learned. Plus, ... he loves the game.

• 3 weeks later...
I smelled some sour grapes from his post too. He had his chance and won two games. Now get out of the way.

Is this the same guy that posted this during the North Laurel search for a coach. I guess a 6-35 record from 1996 to 2001 @ North Laurel made him the front runner. South Laurel has took a big gambel with our kids, and showed just how much they care about football. MY HOUSE IS FOR SALE WE ARE HEADING SOUTH.:walk:

Is this the same guy that posted this during the North Laurel search for a coach. I guess a 6-35 record from 1996 to 2001 @ North Laurel made him the front runner. South Laurel has took a big gambel with our kids, and showed just how much they care about football. MY HOUSE IS FOR SALE WE ARE HEADING SOUTH.:walk:

If you are referring to Welch then you don't know the man, he is a standup guy and any parent would benefit having their kid mentored by him. By the way, referring to packing up and moving is why South is in the mess they are, too many parents having too many opinions ans won't just let the program evolve.

If you are referring to Welch then you don't know the man, he is a standup guy and any parent would benefit having their kid mentored by him. By the way, referring to packing up and moving is why South is in the mess they are, too many parents having too many opinions ans won't just let the program evolve.

Larry is a standup guy, no doubt. I believe he can do a better job than Chappel, but that is just my opinion. But unlike one poster, I never heard Larry one time blame the kids at North Laurel for not being talented enough in his tenure there. I believe that he and Chris Larkey have a good relationship, having coached together at Rockcastle so this may help create more goodwill between the programs. But on the field, I know they will want to beat each other as bad as any team on their schedule. I just am not sure this was a 'great hire', given his record as a head coach. As a person, I have no issues with Welch at all. Class act and stand up guy IMHO. I believe he does care about the kids.

You are right, he is a good guy that will be lucky to win 6 games the next 2 seasons and that would be an improvement from his past coaching experience.

Get serious if you had a kid with some talent that has been losing his first 2 years are you willing to let him finish his career there, I thank as a parent this would be border line child abuse. Shows how much South Laurel administration thanks of the football program. Maybe when Larkey retires at Harlan you can get him for a replacement.

You are right, he is a good guy that will be lucky to win 6 games the next 2 seasons and that would be an improvement from his past coaching experience.

Get serious if you had a kid with some talent that has been losing his first 2 years are you willing to let him finish his career there, I thank as a parent this would be border line child abuse. Shows how much South Laurel administration thanks of the football program. Maybe when Larkey retires at Harlan you can get him for a replacement.

Larry is a good guy and letting my child play for him would not be a problem for me, much less child abuse. He is good to the kids and a good guy. While I was not in favor of this hire, losing a few of the assistants that were at SL will be a HUGE plus. Jep was able to keep some of them in line, but Chappel was not. A few of those guys I would NEVER want my child playing for, but Larry, ..... absolutely not a problem for me. He does care for the kids.