2009 North Laurel

Ram

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris helped out some with Harlan County this year not sure if he was listed as a volunteer coach or what but he was on the sidelines. Pretty interesting that he will be coaching against his dad in the same district!

Coach Tom Larkey(I guess we have to say that now that there are two Coach Larkeys) has brought a lot of excitement to Harlan County if Chris is any thing like him good job to North Laurel for the hire.

Yes. He was on Tom's staff at Rock. Don't know exactly what his responsibilities were with Rock? Parkey was the top offensive asst. and Saylor on defense. Not sure if he coached last year or not??? Kind of a against the grain hire IMO.

Chris was Toms right hand man on off.

Chris is ready. Has been around it all his life and knows whats going on.

I'm tickled for him and I'm sure his dad will be proud. I'd kinda thought that his boys would eventually come to Harlan County full time, but if this door is open, can't blame him. Best wishes!

Larkey VS Larkey 2009 This one will be interesting!

Yes. He was on Tom's staff at Rock. Don't know exactly what his responsibilities were with Rock? Parkey was the top offensive asst. and Saylor on defense. Not sure if he coached last year or not??? Kind of a against the grain hire IMO.

Are you kidding me? Do you have an axe to grind? If it is true that Larkey is the new coach, I think it is both a great hire and a natural fit.

Are you kidding me? Do you have an axe to grind? If it is true that Larkey is the new coach, I think it is both a great hire and a natural fit.

Chris has grown up in football with the best at Rockcastle Co. His dad as a well known coach and Coach Saylor as the best defensive coach in the state. But along the way he has learned what it takes to win and that is what he will bring to NL football. He has the ambition to coach football and knows what it takes to bring a winning program to NL. He has not been a head coach, but he knows and will instill in the kids at NL what he has been grown to believe in what it takes to be a winner. What else can you ever ask for in a coach?

Didn't NL hire several new assistants this year? Could someone list names? The only ones I knew of was Carson, Roark, and McWhorter.

Bill Carson has been at NL since the very beginning of the school. Darren McWhorter was an assistant under Duncum and Abbott so has been there at least 9 years. Roark has been there the past 2 seasons. Dagley, Collier and Allin were new the past few seasons. I don't know if McWhorter will be back, he has contemplated just sticking with baseball (where he is the head coach), but both Duncum and Abbott always managed to convince him to stay. Allin will not be back. I hope that Dagley, Carson, Roark & Collier are asked to stay. I hope McWhorter is back IF he wants to come back, but I am not sure he does.

If indeed Chris Larkey is the choice, like I said, this is a great choice. He has tons of experience in a successful program and is a fiery guy. Very competitive, just as he was as the QB at the Rock all those years ago. He has learned from one of the best in Tom Larkey and IF he is the new coach, I believe that this is a GREAT choice and one for the long term. I have known Chris since he was a little kid and he may earn the nickname of his childhood wrestling idol Tommy 'Wildfire' Rich with his competitive attitude! :D

I'm tickled for him and I'm sure his dad will be proud. I'd kinda thought that his boys would eventually come to Harlan County full time, but if this door is open, can't blame him. Best wishes!

Larkey VS Larkey 2009 This one will be interesting!

That could be a lot of fun! I am sure that IF Chris is indeed the new coach, he would love to beat his old man!!! However, it could put a damper on thanksgiving dinner!!!

Leonidas, did you apply?

I don't work in a school system or coach. So no I did not.

Good luck to the Jags hope they have sucess. I have no axes to grind. Only stating just b/c you are the son of a good coach don't mean you are a good Coach. Not sure of what other qualifications he has besides the bloodlines? Again I will say a very interesting hire hope it works out.

Good luck to the Jags hope they have sucess. I have no axes to grind. Only stating just b/c you are the son of a good coach don't mean you are a good Coach. Not sure of what other qualifications he has besides the bloodlines? Again I will say a very interesting hire hope it works out.

You should have gotten into education you might have been a good choice for the job.

Someone mentioned to me that they saw Chris and Coach Larkey talking a lot on the sidelines this year. I believe Coach Larkey valued his sons opinion which may be bad for Harlan County. Two heads are better than one and know they will be going head to head. It's been said it should make for an interesting father son relationship. Who does Mrs. Larkey cheer for during that game.

Sort of makes me wonder how many more years Coach Tom Larkey will coach. He has said Harlan County would be his last coaching job but he has never said how long he was staying. I'm sure he will stay long enough to leave a legacy in Harlan County. If he hasn't already done that!

:laugh::laugh: