South Laurel 70 Williamsburg 68

Les

You mention Pettit as being a tandem with Teague that could give any 5 fits...You are exactly right. BUT, Pettit has to buy into this. He has the height, body, strength, talent, and skills to be an extremely effective 4 man. Give up the desire to make the no look passes, the flops to draw a charge, the 17 footer that has him back peddling across half court before the ball even hits the rim. Use what the good Lord gave you!!!!!!! Put your butt on the low block with your back to the bucket, show the guards where to give you the ball, make a strong move, and you'll get to the line. Then use your love of the 15' shot to knock down foul shots. I am not totally against him shooting from the perimeter occasionally, but after the shot, slash to the bucket to go after the offensive rebound. Pettit could help this team IMMENSLEY, but it won't happen until he embraces the fact that he is a post player not a perimeter player. Pettit could average a double/double if he would be willing to put on a hard hat and go to work in the paint. It may not be what he enjoys the most, but if he wants to be a contributing member of this team night in and night out, that's how he can accomplish that. W'burg is making some noise by playing quality competition closely, and I honestly believe that if someone could get Pettit to play as I have described, he would be the missing piece in a puzzle that could enable the Jackets to notch many more quality wins and be ready to make some noise in the district tourney.

Maybe someone can get him to watch some film on how Manns plays for Corbin and tell him to emulate Manns.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is correct it hit the wire and bounced off the top of the backboard and they still counted the basket, but other than that it was one of the better officiated games I have seen in a long time......

I think that SL got alot of no calls during the game. The no-calls weren't so much on handchecking although South did play a little more physical against Whitley. However, I agree with whoever posted earlier about South not playing as physical as Corbin. Last night I saw one SL player walk almost everytime he handled the ball and once St. John blocked a shot from Teague (I think) and pushed him to the ground in the process. I don't think that it was a foul but it should have been a jump ball because both players had their hands on the ball.

I'm not sure, I just caught bits and pieces of the game. I'm also not sure how the foul count went either. I'm also sure if the three-pointer wouldn't have counted South and Wburg both played the final minutes.

Coach Robinson is turning this program around and in my opinion will be the best coach da Burg has had.

I think Pat is a fine young coach and may grow into a good one, but besides Leforce and Prewitt, Paul Falin and Brent West had some success at W'burg...

What happened on Williamsburg's last possession? I was listening to the game and all I got out of Stan's call was that Taylor lost the ball and St. John picked it up and the game was over.

Actually they could have called a foul on the last possession, Steven had the ball and 2 (I'm not sure who) South players were behind him, one tripped him, (I don't think it was on purpose) and he (Steven) fell and lost the ball. I have seen them call fouls on much less than that, but it was in the last seconds of the game. All and all Steven and all of the W'burg players played hard and had a great game....

Actually they could have called a foul on the last possession, Steven had the ball and 2 (I'm not sure who) South players were behind him, one tripped him, (I don't think it was on purpose) and he (Steven) fell and lost the ball. I have seen them call fouls on much less than that, but it was in the last seconds of the game. All and all Steven and all of the W'burg players played hard and had a great game....

Sorry Earnit08, no disrespect intended but that not the way that I saw it last night. Taylor tried to drive in between 2 SL players and make the last minute basket and lost the ball. Let's say that he had made it past those 2 defenders, what was he going to do about St. John? I think that this was a shot that would have worked better being taken from the outside. You have to look at the situation. In the Whitley game, during the last seconds of regular play, when one of the guards tried to drive in between Whitley's players to take the last second shot, going inside was the right play but the wrong person tried to execute the play. The ball should have been passed off to a more open teammate on the inside. Last night, Taylor didn't have a chance of making a play inside because he had 2 defenders on him and of course St. John was waiting if he somehow got past those 2. He should have passed the ball off to a more open teammate (Cunningham or Terry) and let one of them try for the outside shot. Williamsburg must start playing together more as a team and keep it up for an entire game. There is no room for selfish play in basketball. College coaches will look for good shot selection, assists, the ability to work well with others, and many other things besides just points scored. Taylor had a good game. I'm not taking anything away from him last night but Williamsburg's guards have got to buy into the team concept if the Jackets are to have success this year.

Sorry Earnit08, no disrespect intended but that not the way that I saw it last night. Taylor tried to drive in between 2 SL players and make the last minute basket and lost the ball. Let's say that he had made it past those 2 defenders, what was he going to do about St. John? I think that this was a shot that would have worked better being taken from the outside. You have to look at the situation. In the Whitley game, during the last seconds of regular play, when one of the guards tried to drive in between Whitley's players to take the last second shot, going inside was the right play but the wrong person tried to execute the play. The ball should have been passed off to a more open teammate on the inside. Last night, Taylor didn't have a chance of making a play inside because he had 2 defenders on him and of course St. John was waiting if he somehow got past those 2. He should have passed the ball off to a more open teammate (Cunningham or Terry) and let one of them try for the outside shot. Williamsburg must start playing together more as a team and keep it up for an entire game. There is no room for selfish play in basketball. College coaches will look for good shot selection, assists, the ability to work well with others, and many other things besides just points scored. Taylor had a good game. I'm not taking anything away from him last night but Williamsburg's guards have got to buy into the team concept if the Jackets are to have success this year.

The way I usually see it with WHS if they don't take the shots they would for sure lose every game and by way more than they do. I hear so much about their big man and all I ever see is him missing his layups or losing the ball when it is passed to him. And Taylor did have a chance of making the shot even against "St. John" there were only 8 seconds left on the clock and it had to be brought from the far side of the court, there wasn't anybody open to pass the ball to!!!! I didn't see Steve try to drive between 2 SL players, as I seen it they were behind him. It appeared he was bumped into or tripped. People see things differently, but I had a pretty good view. I guess we will just have to leave it at that.

I am as hard core a W'burg fan as anybody and even I would not have blown a whistle on that last play.

Only thing I might have done differently is told my players in the previous time out to get the ball inbounds and across half court quickly, then call the timeout and set up a play for last shot. Obvioulsy that is a MUCH easier decision from an "armchair coach." Us spectators have to realize that it is MUCH more difficult to coach from the bench than the stands, and MUCH more difficult to officiate on the court than in the stands.

It was a great game and the W'burg coaches and players should all be proud for putting themselves in a situation to have a chance to win the game. The more times you are in that situation, the better you get at it.