Makes me chuckle.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think those who truly know football, know that a game comes down to line play, weather it be defensive line or offensive line.

I am always surprised that linemen get very little credit, to me those linemen are more interesting. Heck, they are 6'12", 300 + pounds, can bench press Chevys, can deadlift houses, what could be more interesting?

I've said it before, and will once again, I hate the phrase, "Skill Positions". A skill is a trait that is learned. Talent is a trait that you are born with. I think the linemen are the skill players, they have to learn to play the line, it is not a natural talent. But, speed is a talent that you are born with. So, the backs and ends should be called the "Talent Position", and the linemen should be the "Skill Players".

But, with the media, linemen are just not "Sexy" enough I suppose.

I agree that speed is a talent but what you do with that speed is a skill. You couldn't have the fastest WR on the planet but if he can't run a route or catch a pass then what good is he (see Devin Hester). All positions on a football team require some talent and a whole lot of skill.

Everyone knows the linemen are part of the equation, and that you couldn't drive a car down the road without an engine. How much can you conversate about two big engines blocking each other, then doing it again and again and again. Even the most articulate would stuggle to keep someones attention. Love those linemen though :lol:

I saw a breakdown of the linemen for the BCS game on the NFL network. A Maddenesque discussion regarding the strengths and weaknesses of the line play, analyzed pass verses run techniques. But like you said the amount of stories are focused on the other positions.

That makes it somewhat better. At least they devoted some time to what a lot of people consider the positions that determine the out come of the game. I missed that coverage. :thumb:

Ram, this is for you from a Greenup County Mom

Ode to the Offensive Lineman

School begins, football starts and fall is in the air.

The papers cover local teams to tell us how they’ll fare.

Quarterbacks and halfbacks, a running back or two;

Safety, ends and kickers, throw in some linemen too.

Every mother smiles to see her young son’s name in print.

“He’s bound to be a starter!” In Dad’s eye there is a glint.

So the first game comes along –my son, he’s on the line.

“Dive right”, “cut block”, “quarterback sneak,” he’s in there everytime.

We have the plays, players too, everybody reasons.

This is the year, there’s no doubt, we’ll have a winning season.

The paper lauds the quarterback, his passes are supreme.

The wide receiver, there’s a guy—the fastest that we’ve seen.

Did you see the many yards gained by the running back?

And no one ever will forget the defense on the sack.

The linemen on the defense are listed one by one.

Numbering every tackle I n the game they won.

And so on down the list of plays and scores until they’re done.

But—wait a minute! His name’s not there ---I cannot find my son!

“Did you do your part?” I ask. “Tell me son, did you play well?”

“I am an offensive lineman – there is no more to tell.”

And so to offensive linemen – this ode to you I write.

Who take your place upon the line and block with all your might?

Who give the quarterback the time to throw the perfect pass,

And make the hole for the running back to leave’em in the grass?

You give the kicker what he needs, the extra point to score.

You block and fall and push and shove, and come right back for more.

They do not keep the stats on you; your name’s not up in lights.

Without you, well – the quarterback is just a guy in tights!

“I am an offensive lineman – there’s no more to my story.”

To offensive linemen everywhere, honor, laud and glory!

Perhaps this belongs on the college football forum, but since my comments are in general and not necessarily applicable just to college football, I'll post it here. A mod can move it if appropriate.

Now, on to what makes me chuckle: how often do we hear that the games are won in the trenches. It's the lineplay that determines the outcome of games on the high school, college and pro levels. We seem to hear it over and over and over. Why? Because its the truth.

Now perhaps I've missed it, but of the coverage I've seen about tonight's BCS championship game, it has been focused exclusively on the skilled players. Lots of talk about the great TE of Oklahoma and how he is going to be the diffence maker; lots of comparison between Oklahoma's TE and Florida's TE; lot's of talk about how tall the Oklahoma TE is and how short Florida's DB's are; lots of talk about the QB's and running backs, but I've heard zero talk about the line match ups. Perhaps I've missed it. But if it's been discussed, it hasn't been discussed much in comparison to the talk about the "skilled" players (as if it doesn't take athletic skills to play the line, which is a joke).

Am I nuts on this or do others agree the commentators spend way too much time focusing on the positions that really aren't the critical ones?

Disclaimer: I am a former O lineman and my sons have all been O linemen. :D

Linemen do win games but the skilled positions will always receive the credit. They have been talking a lot about how Sam Bradford hasn't been hit much which is a credit to the linemen but I haven't seen them breakdown each matchup.

Oklahoma's line though is in for a dog fight trying to keep up with Florida's D-Line. They are the fastest group in the nation. I can't wait to watch this one tonight.