Makes me chuckle.

OOOOOCccccHhhhhh, I think I hit a nerve.

Not one that you haven't hit many, many times before. :D

My point was really not to debate the need for high quality line play and the dominant role they play in determining the outcome of a game. Heck, that's not even debatable, but rather to point out the comic irony of how a lot (most?) commentators talk in a passing comment about how important line play is in determing the outcome and then spend the next 5 minutes examining the "skill" position matchups. I just find it sort of funny. Then again, look at most of the commentators and the positions they played in college/pros and perhaps their infatuation is understandable.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think those who truly know football, know that a game comes down to line play, weather it be defensive line or offensive line.

I am always surprised that linemen get very little credit, to me those linemen are more interesting. Heck, they are 6'12", 300 + pounds, can bench press Chevys, can deadlift houses, what could be more interesting?

I've said it before, and will once again, I hate the phrase, "Skill Positions". A skill is a trait that is learned. Talent is a trait that you are born with. I think the linemen are the skill players, they have to learn to play the line, it is not a natural talent. But, speed is a talent that you are born with. So, the backs and ends should be called the "Talent Position", and the linemen should be the "Skill Players".

But, with the media, linemen are just not "Sexy" enough I suppose.

Interesting take, and definitely food for thought.

I think those who truly know football, know that a game comes down to line play, weather it be defensive line or offensive line.

I am always surprised that linemen get very little credit, to me those linemen are more interesting. Heck, they are 6'12", 300 + pounds, can bench press Chevys, can deadlift houses, what could be more interesting?

I've said it before, and will once again, I hate the phrase, "Skill Positions". A skill is a trait that is learned. Talent is a trait that you are born with. I think the linemen are the skill players, they have to learn to play the line, it is not a natural talent. But, speed is a talent that you are born with. So, the backs and ends should be called the "Talent Position", and the linemen should be the "Skill Players".

But, with the media, linemen are just not "Sexy" enough I suppose.

Excellent post..... I'll add just a little. Lineman have to have a great amount of pride and self-satisfaction. How many are interviewed before or after a game? How many are in the paper Saturday morning? How many times does the crowd roar due to a touchdown breaking block? How many walk the hallways at school with the "Hot Girls?" Like Ram, I also played most every position to be played. The lineman's role will probably never receive enough attention IMO. But the games are decided in the trenches. :ylsuper:

I'm not a very knowledgeable person concerning football, I've watched my sons play for 7 years and really enjoy it now. But my youngest son was a lineman and while getting a scrapbook ready for him I found a poem called Ode to a Lineman, in it there is a line that I love,

"If it wasn't for the lineman the quarterback is just a guy in tights".

There was nothing sexier than #12 Joe Namath when I was in high school but now I see he needed the lineman there.

I saw a breakdown of the linemen for the BCS game on the NFL network. A Maddenesque discussion regarding the strengths and weaknesses of the line play, analyzed pass verses run techniques. But like you said the amount of stories are focused on the other positions.

Leatherneck,

How many times do I have to tell you...the media is focusing on the skilled linemen position. Not that the other linemen aren't as important their just not as exciting to watch for the average fan.

I will say I have read in the pass scouting combine reports that the linemen score higher on the Wunderlich test.

His post did have a hint of Tight End Envy.:D

Now perhaps I've missed it, but of the coverage I've seen about tonight's BCS championship game, it has been focused exclusively on the skilled players. Lots of talk about the great TE of Oklahoma and how he is going to be the diffence maker; lots of comparison between Oklahoma's TE and Florida's TE; lot's of talk about how tall the Oklahoma TE is and how short Florida's DB's are; lots of talk about the QB's and running backs, but I've heard zero talk about the line match ups. Perhaps I've missed it. But if it's been discussed, it hasn't been discussed much in comparison to the talk about the "skilled" players (as if it doesn't take athletic skills to play the line, which is a joke).

Excellent post Leatherneck. Be careful, though. With you wisdom such as this you may get your name thrown into the ring for the vacant Cov. Cath. post. :ylsuper:

I'm not a very knowledgeable person concerning football, I've watched my sons play for 7 years and really enjoy it now. But my youngest son was a lineman and while getting a scrapbook ready for him I found a poem called Ode to a Lineman, in it there is a line that I love,

"If it wasn't for the lineman the quarterback is just a guy in tights".

There was nothing sexier than #12 Joe Namath when I was in high school but now I see he needed the lineman there.

You posted that poem before. I loved it. Can you post the entire thing again, please?

Excellent post..... I'll add just a little. Lineman have to have a great amount of pride and self-satisfaction. How many are interviewed before or after a game? How many are in the paper Saturday morning? How many times does the crowd roar due to a touchdown breaking block? How many walk the hallways at school with the "Hot Girls", like Ram? I also played most every position to be played. The lineman's role will probably never receive enough attention IMO. But the games are decided in the trenches. :ylsuper:

This is my favorite part of your post, you just put the question mark in the wrong place, I changed it for you above.:D

Edited by Ram