Brossart 35 Covington Holy Cross 22

It's just a different style. I think it's tough to score and shoot well when you can never get into a rhythm due to the tough defense and other team taking a minute off of the clock at the other end. These teams didn't get many open shots off of their designed sets, which forces you to take other shots that aren't always open and a lot of times not in rhythm. I agree 22 points is ridiculous, but you live or die by that style of play. If you give up several baskets on consecutive possessions you're going to be in trouble, and if you don't make the easy shots that you do get(layups) then you aren't going to win either.

:thumb::thumb:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game was 10-6 at half. Brossart won the tip and controlled the ball for the first 2 minutes of the game without even taking a shot. I dont think anyone scored until about 4 minutes left in 1st quarter. Safe to say it was a boring first half of basketball. However Brossart did show some real discipline and heart tonight. Great win for the Mustangs and great to see them come away with a 35-22 win after being tied at I believe 20-20 after the 3rd quarter. Great defense to only allow 2 points the whole 4th quarter. Defense wins Championships and thats one thing Brossart also has is good defense. Congrats Mustangs, keep it going!

Come on CEO, it was much higher scoring than that--It was 12-10 HC at the half!! It was however an exciting game with a lot of drama until the end. I'd liken it to the Steelers vs. Ravens football struggles--Both fine teams with great defenses.

As a wise man once said, its all about matchups and these two matched up well on "D" tonight. Neither team is a threat to go out and score a 100, but are capable on offense and most important competitive!!

St. Pat's & Bracken played a 95-93 game recently, apparently to many on here that makes them great teams???? :confused:

^ Not saying they're great, but Bracken County scored 53 on Brossart. I'm sure the circumstances were different; just saying.

Holy Cross would beat Bracken by 20+...

Interesting how those who weren't present are the ones saying it was a boring game... Didm't know it was necessarry to score to be a good team. :confused:

Teams that play great defense are always a threat. Teams that excell on offense, but struggle on offense are always prone to an upset...

Defensive battle or not, 22 points is ridiculous for a high school boys varsity game. At some point a team has to realize they have to score to win the game.

I'm sure they realize they have to score? But when you absolutely get after it on defense and are not and offensive brute, things like this happen. I am not excepting it by any means, b/c 22 is bad, but it was good enough at the time to be in the lead for almost 3 quarters and have a chance to win up until the last few minutes.

It is all different styles of play and this is how HC has to play in order to be succesful. Let's not get down on them after one not so good game where they didn't convert when they had the chances. Also, Brossart is a tough hard-nosed team who gets out after you and you have to hate playing them no matter who you are. They're are going to be a very tough out in the 37th district and 10th region if they make it there.

Consistant, hard nosed defense is how small schools compete with the big boys year in, year out (See Elliott County next year)!! Schlarmann came to Brossart and taught them this lesson, and under he & Coach Code they haven't looked back; and are no longer everyone's homecoming game--Quite the contrary!!

Last year HC had a great scorer and averaged much higher--This year they lack that go-to shooter, and Coach Goetz has altered their style to fit the personnel, and has some nice wins to show for it.

Anyone want a shot clock in high school to force teams to keep from holding the ball for more than a minute? I can't see how a low scoring game such as this as can be exciting.

Probably had to be there? It was a "every possession counts", one possession game until late in the 4th quarter.

Anyone want a shot clock in high school to force teams to keep from holding the ball for more than a minute? I can't see how a low scoring game such as this as can be exciting.

You might see a lot of shot clock violations or desperation shots as the time runs out against Brossart. I don't know about you but I would rather see some hardcore D like this game then 2 teams who stand straight up on D and can't wait to get the ball back to score. Like the old saying goes, Defense wins championships. Like StickerMan said If Brossart didn't use this philosophy they would never be able to compete with power house schools that have a much larger student body.

Coach Trame used to chart games, and I know he taught this to Coach Goetz...

Forgive me if the numbers are a bit wrong...

During the 1991 State run, he figured that there were an average of 30 posessions each per game, each taking just over a minute in the half court set. He wanted a stop on about a third of them, resulting in a 20 possession, 45 point game. He figured on about 55 points to win.

I was not at the game, but from the description, it sounds like the average time of posession may have been 1:30+. This mathmatically reduces the number of posessions to 21 and with the defense: no three point fg's and potential stops and turnovers, you could pheasably reduce the number of SCORING POSSESSIONS to 15. So a 30 point game give or take is not out of the question.

I'd rather be at a 28 point nailbiter than a 40 point blowout anytime....

:thumb:

I was not at the game, but from the description, it sounds like the average time of posession may have been 1:30+.

Actually, in the first period, which ended 4-2, each possession was labouriously long. Brossart's first possession lasted over 2 minutes.

Things heated up in the second period, which ended 12-10, as turnovers came into play, and I would guess the time of possession ranged in the 30-40 second range - tops.

The third period took on a more common high school basketball pace, although only 14 points were scored between them, and in the fourth quarter, after HC scored a bucket right out of the gate, Brossart began a 15-0 run, that forced Holy Cross to "hurry-up" the offense in order to attempt to catch up.

What the game lacked in offensive prowess, it made up for in intensity levels. In listening to our broadcast, it was one of the more exciting "stretch runs" that I have ever called, in what turned out to be a low-scoring, seemingly boring 13 point Mustang win.

Can anyone tell me why Holy Cross is scoring so low in their last two games?

Partly because they played against Ryle and Brossart.

Seriously, I don't know why. The only time I've seen them was at Mason County, and they scored 29 in that one.