Brossart 35 Covington Holy Cross 22

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game was 10-6 at half. Brossart won the tip and controlled the ball for the first 2 minutes of the game without even taking a shot. I dont think anyone scored until about 4 minutes left in 1st quarter. Safe to say it was a boring first half of basketball. However Brossart did show some real discipline and heart tonight. Great win for the Mustangs and great to see them come away with a 35-22 win after being tied at I believe 20-20 after the 3rd quarter. Great defense to only allow 2 points the whole 4th quarter. Defense wins Championships and thats one thing Brossart also has is good defense. Congrats Mustangs, keep it going!

Actually, the final score (which was 35-22), is quite deceiving.

Holy Cross scored the first basket of the fourth quarter to take a 22-20 lead and then Brossart went on a 15-0 run to close it out. There was no slow-down, and no stalling, just two superior defensive forces at work against each other.

Drew Kramer, with the help of some brilliant assist work from the BB guard corps, simply took over the game in the final period, scoring 9 of his game-high 17 points. Jacob Rieger was held to 9 tonight, and Jordan Armstrong contributed 6.

Shina Giwa led the Tribe with 10 points.

Brossart improves to 11-2 on the season with our only losses coming to Campbell County, and 2-0 in the NKAC Division II race.

Holy Cross JVs win 30-26, and the Indian freshmen post a 31-28 victory.

BB: Armstrong 6, Webb 2, Kramer 1, Kremer 17, Rieger 9

Totals: BB 14-0-7/13-35

HC: Volpenhein 2, Egan 6, Sullivan 2, Trimpe 2, Giwa 10

Totals: HC: 11-0-0/0-22

Neither team scored a three-point goal.

I don't get why no one can appreciate a good defensive battle. I wouldn't even say either of these teams played poorly. I thought it was a great game and extremely exciting to watch. It's fun to watch a game where every possession is critical. The game was tight the entire way until the last 4 minutes or so like Mustang mentioned. I was very impressed with Drew Kremer tonight. He's come a long way, and if he continues to be that aggressive it will definitely make the Mustangs a lot tougher. Both teams looked for high percentage shots, and they just weren't there due to the stingy sagging defenses. I wouldn't say either team stalled, but both were very patient.

I don't get why no one can appreciate a good defensive battle. I wouldn't even say either of these teams played poorly. I thought it was a great game and extremely exciting to watch. It's fun to watch a game where every possession is critical. The game was tight the entire way until the last 4 minutes or so like Mustang mentioned. I was very impressed with Drew Kremer tonight. He's come a long way, and if he continues to be that aggressive it will definitely make the Mustangs a lot tougher. Both teams looked for high percentage shots, and they just weren't there due to the stingy sagging defenses. I wouldn't say either team stalled, but both were very patient.

Defensive battle or not, 22 points is ridiculous for a high school boys varsity game. At some point a team has to realize they have to score to win the game.

Defensive battle or not, 22 points is ridiculous for a high school boys varsity game. At some point a team has to realize they have to score to win the game.

Well shame on them!!!!

What then does it make Newport Central Catholic, Christian Academy of Louisville, Cincinnati Withrow, Grant County, Oldham County, Ryle, and the other teams that Holy Cross has defeated this season???

Do you advocate continuing the game until both teams score a minimum of 40 or 50 points??? :irked:

I don't get why no one can appreciate a good defensive battle. I wouldn't even say either of these teams played poorly. I thought it was a great game and extremely exciting to watch. It's fun to watch a game where every possession is critical. The game was tight the entire way until the last 4 minutes or so like Mustang mentioned. .

I'm sure it was intense and exciting but its hard to watch. Sometimes its simply a case of offensive struggles and neither of these two seem to be able to score much so I have to question how much of it was defense. Highlands put 53 up on Brossart. Did Brossart's defense suddenly get that much better? Is Ryle a great defensive team? Heck, CCH put 50+ on them and they're struggling.

Teams are extremely patient for a reason.

Having said that, the coach coaches his team to give them the best chance to win. If both coaches felt this was the way to go, fine.

Brossart will have their chance on Feb. 7 to hold NCC to 22 points. Don't be fooled by Holy Cross beating NCC. Missing their starting center and had one individual play the whole 2nd half with a fractured elbow. Can't wait for the game.

Brossart will have their chance on Feb. 7 to hold NCC to 22 points. Don't be fooled by Holy Cross beating NCC. Missing their starting center and had one individual play the whole 2nd half with a fractured elbow. Can't wait for the game.

Be careful what you wish for. :D

Good win for the Mustangs.............maybe the neysayers will start to realize that Coach Code is very capable of making a contender from this group. They play very solid D and are sneaky good on offense. NCC will be a battle and their big guy will be a challenge but Brossart is stingy and will challenge good teams all year.

Be careful what you wish for. :D

Hammertime, I left off the quote from Mustang on what it made all the Teams that Holy Cross has defeated. The only thing I ever wish for is a good game. Great bunch of boys on Brossarts Team. I have personally coached 4 of them. This is going to be an exciting game, like I said "can't wait.":jump:

Is this a football score? Can not believe that Brossart only had 35 and Holy Cross had 22? Glad I did not place this game on my schedule!

The game was not boring at all as the score may indicate and the fans were into just as much! It was an outstanding performance on defense and the fans in attendance appreciated it.

The student sections for both Holy Cross and Bishop Brossart were going back and forth and enjoying themselves too. So overall it was a fun game and a great win for the Stangs.

Good win for the Mustangs.............maybe the neysayers will start to realize that Coach Code is very capable of making a contender from this group. They play very solid D and are sneaky good on offense . NCC will be a battle and their big guy will be a challenge but Brossart is stingy and will challenge good teams all year.

35 points = VERY sneaky:D

It's just a different style. I think it's tough to score and shoot well when you can never get into a rhythm due to the tough defense and other team taking a minute off of the clock at the other end. These teams didn't get many open shots off of their designed sets, which forces you to take other shots that aren't always open and a lot of times not in rhythm. I agree 22 points is ridiculous, but you live or die by that style of play. If you give up several baskets on consecutive possessions you're going to be in trouble, and if you don't make the easy shots that you do get(layups) then you aren't going to win either.