Future of the Highlands cannon

Fishhead

It will be a very sad day for Highlands Football and the City of Fort Thomas if they do silence the cannon. It is part of a very proud and fine tradition that should continue. It is a shame that Mr Roller was injured, but let him voice his opinion on keeping it or not. We do live in a democracy still and it is sad day when liability insurance is the deciding factor.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know that insurance companies will be overally cautious in thier decision and IMO the cannon has no chance of being fired again. Even if they okay'd it, if it was my decision I would choose to shelf it after a serious injury.

By the way the cannon fires blanks or there would be holes all over Ft. Thomas, I would suggest researching something that could possibly replicate the sound without the explosives or improving the PA system and have video and audio to show of the cannon going off on the big screen when they score. Not the same but no one gets hurt.

Edited by 2 Humped Camel
left something out

I won't speculate on the future of the cannon because its really up to the HHS administration and also the owners of the cannon. I'm sure it will be a well thought out decision that will take all pertinent factors into consideration including safety and tradition.

With or without the cannon, Highlands will continue to be the type of program the rest of us want to be. They set the bar very high for everyone else, and not just with wins and losses.

IF they decide to put the cannon to rest, then there are ways to turn it into a positive instead of a negative.

Possibly they could turn the cannon into some type of memorial. I know some teams have an icon of sorts that they place close to the field and the players and fans can see it and touch it and be reminded of what it stands for. The players could rub it on their way to the field and it might could even serve as a big motivator rather than being a dark memory.

Maybe they could do something appropriate like that and erect a plaque to go along with it showing the HHS records during the cannon years, the history of the cannon, etc.

Maybe the team could add a little small cannon sticker on the back of the helmet and every time they score, they could pat that sticker and everyone in the stands yell 1.. 2.. 3.. BOOM. (I'm just kidding with this one)

Edited by Watusi

I don't understand why they can't have a cannon that shoots off blanks or maybe have something that replicates the sound of a cannon.
Take the cannon somewhere and fire it and record the sound then play it very loud at the game at the approiate time

Take the cannon somewhere and fire it and record the sound then play it very loud at the game at the approiate time

Dang. I was going to suggest that first. :p (Just covering all bases in case Highlands offers a huge reward to the person with the best idea for replacing the cannon). ;)

Put the cannon in our yard! It's off school grounds..... Just like the old Cov Cath days, when the cannon sat in someones backyard! Man the good ol' days!

SAVE THE CANNON!!!!!

:flame:

Guessing your insurance company will probably need to discuss a rate increase with you. ;)

In my opinion, it has to do with more than today's insurance climate. Packing black powder into an antique and firing it off is not safe and this certainly isn't the first accident involving a historic cannon.

Highlands also discharges a black powder gun at their soccer games. Not sure about that either.

I have a friend who played football in the late 70's/early 80's, who told me long before this accident, that his ears were damaged when the Highlands cannon went off when he was to close to it. (I have never seen it but I guess it was relocated at some point?)

Lexington Lafayette fires off a 40mm gun after touchdowns but it is shooting off something like 10 gauge shotgun shell blanks.

Memorialize the cannon but don't fire it any longer.

We all know that insurance companies will be overally cautious in thier decision and IMO the cannon has no chance of being fired again. Even if they okay'd it, if it was my decision I would choose to shelf it after a serious injury.

By the way the cannon fires blanks or there would be holes all over Ft. Thomas, I would suggest researching something that could possibly replicate the sound without the explosives or improving the PA system and have video and audio to show of the cannon going off on the big screen when they score. Not the same but no one gets hurt.

Really? There wouldnt be holes all over Ft. Thomas there would be serious casualties because that thing is pointed at the stands from the top of the school building. I know it was discharging gun powder, jeeeez cut me some slack. But I was discussing this with a buddy last night who is an expert in Historic Military weaponry. He was like, why dont they just get one of those cannons that opens from the rear, you put a cartridge in (blanks):rolleyes: and then have a rip cord. Someone stands behind it and pulls and there is no black powder.

It was an accident. Accidents happen all the time. This was an isolated incident not a daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly occurence. The tradition needs to live on...KEEP THE CANNON!!!

Yep, and it is "accidents" that cause insurance companies great alarm, especially when the accident under consideration permanently maimed an individual. Traditions are important, but so is safety and the safety of operating this cannon is now under question. Let's face it - no one is saying these guys did anything wrong on their end. The cannon apparently malfunctioned and should be a major cause for concern . . . .

Really? There wouldnt be holes all over Ft. Thomas there would be serious casualties because that thing is pointed at the stands from the top of the school building. I know it was discharging gun powder, jeeeez cut me some slack. But I was discussing this with a buddy last night who is an expert in Historic Military weaponry. He was like, why dont they just get one of those cannons that opens from the rear, you put a cartridge in (blanks):rolleyes: and then have a rip cord. Someone stands behind it and pulls and there is no black powder.

I wrote that in a joking manner, but its probably not a subject to take lightly. Sorry

Couldn't disagree more.
I agree. Comments like those are coming from those that didn't grow up with the tradition.

Not sure what the insurance company will do but I truly hope the cannon stays put. One freak accident in 40 years should not silence the cannon.
Absolutely!

As for the liability issue, the cannon is no more dangerous today than it was a week ago. The risks existed then and they exist today. But those risks have not been increased by this mishap. As has been said already, this was a freak accident; and the fact that it happened will only serve to decrease the likelihood that it will ever happen again.

Accidents happen. And when they do, they invariably lead to new and better safety measures. I think that's exactly what needs to happen here. It's a terrible and painful lesson; but I don't think the "run and hide" mentality serves anyone's best interest. I can't speak for how Steve and his family feel about it; but I can tell you that a Roller never ran from anything or anyone.

Let's learn from this...but not let unnecessary fear destroy a cherished part of our community life.

Edited by Birdsfan