The New York Giants...It all began one year ago today, at rock bottom

Happy Anniversary!

In case you don’t have the day circled on your calendar, it was a year ago today that this happened:

Don’t be too down on that pyro-fan either. First of all, he probably regrets lighting that jersey on fire. Second, at the time he had good reason. The franchise quarterback, late in his fourth year, had just thrown four interceptions in a 41-17 loss to the Minnesota Vikings at Giants Stadium. He was booed out of the stadium for his hideous, 21 for 49, 273-yard, four-pick performance. The Vikings even talked about how he telegraphed his passes.

Even former Giants GM Ernie Accorsi, who was in the building that day, was so dismayed but what he witnessed that he left at halftime and couldn’t even bring himself to listen to the end of the game on the radio on the way home.

The next day, Eli was shredded in the press. The Daily News back page headline was “Eli the Terrible.” On the radio, people (hosts and plenty of fans) were hammering him for his demeanor in his post-game press conference, for his seemingly I-don’t-care attitude and unaffected personality.

The Giants were 7-4, but had lost two of three and were about to go on the road for two games in Chicago and Philly. Hope of any kind was diminishing. The hot seat was warming up for Tom Coughlin. Manning’s seat wasn’t exactly cool, either.

Then, here’s what happened over the next 365 days:

The Giants won 17 of their next 20 games. And in that span, Manning completed 58.9 percent of his passes (361 of 613) for 4,133 yards, 31 touchdowns and 13 interceptions (a passer rating of 87.3).

Oh, and they won a Super Bowl, too. And now they’re 10-1.

Like I said … Happy Anniversary!

link

How ironic would it be if the Giants didn't win another game and missed the playoffs?

Why would that be ironic first of all?

Secondly, a lot of team would have to win out, even if the Giants lost out, for the Giants to miss the playoffs. They have already matched last years regular season win total and are set at least at 10-6. Oh, and if Dallas loses Thursday (unlikely) and the Giants win Sunday, the Giants clinch the NFC East.

Why would that be ironic first of all?

Secondly, a lot of team would have to win out, even if the Giants lost out, for the Giants to miss the playoffs. They have already matched last years regular season win total and are set at least at 10-6. Oh, and if Dallas loses Thursday (unlikely) and the Giants win Sunday, the Giants clinch the NFC East.

:fight: :lol:

Is 59% really that great of a completion percentage in the NFL? Serious question, I'm too lazy to look it up...

It's nothing spectacular if that is what you mean.

The rest though (The Giants won 17 of their next 20 games. And Manning threw for 4,133 yards, 31 touchdowns and 13 interceptions (a passer rating of 87.3)...is pretty good though IMO. Gotta include that he lead his team to a unlikely super bowl victory over an 18-0 team.

Pretty big turn around for a guy who was hated by a lot of Giants fans on that day. I'm pretty sure I said some bad things about Eli that day too...I did not burn any jersey's though :lol:.