Which sport yields the most athletic players?

One exception to this thinking is Shaq, who is the most un-athletic player in the NBA, yet may be the most valuable player to ever play the game of basketball. But then again he could just fall down on the offensive line and still protect the quarterback, and could smash the other team’s soccer players and not get a red card.

You lost me here. Shaq's combination of size, strength, AND athleticism is once-in-a-lifetime.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll answer in this fashion. And I'll only use the big 3 sports for reference.

Without any real scientific research to fall back on my guess would be that the most athletic would be the guys who could be adept at the other's sport.

So, with that as my criteria, I suggest this:

A. I believe it would be difficult for most football players to be equally skilled at baseball, but more likely to be able to be skilled at basketball

B. I believe that basketball players in general could play football to more of a degree than baseball.

C. I think of all 3 that baseball players would be more apt to be able to compete in the other's sport than the other's compete in theirs. Hitting a baseball would be more difficult for the other 2 IMO.

Is that the definition of an athlete? Beats me, but that's kinda my take on it.

You lost me here. Shaq's combination of size, strength, AND athleticism is once-in-a-lifetime.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on that one...

Shaq's abilities are once in a lifetime due to his one attribute of height and size. but this does not make him a great athlete. He is only great because the sport he is playing has a rim which happens to be just above his head. He doesn't have quickness, speed, hand-eye, or foot skills. He would do poorly in every event of the decathalon. The decathalon might be the ultimate measure of athleticism. The Greeks may be the first culture to measure athleticism, and they formed the decatholon to see who the greatest athlete is in the world. It spans all cultures and generations in the past, and does not rely on the peculiarities of one sport. I knew Bruce Jenner. Bruce Jenner was a friend of mine. Shaq is no Bruce Jenner.

I think basketballs players would be most likely to do well in the decathalon, followed by the vote above for women's field hockey, then maybe volleyball.

This is such a tough question, because each sport(out of the 3 major; baseball, basketball, football) produce so many amazing athletes. Its tough to say which sport has the "best" athletes. To me, I think the top athlete in each sport would be as of now..

Baseball- Alex Rodriquez

Basketball- Lebron James

Football- Randy Moss

As for all time, I would say Bo Jackson. And he played football and baseball. But all around I think the Nba has the best athletes as a whole, just because of the way they are reguired to be built, and the style of the game these days.

Shaq's abilities are once in a lifetime due to his one attribute of height and size. but this does not make him a great athlete. He is only great because the sport he is playing has a rim which happens to be just above his head. He doesn't have quickness, speed, hand-eye, or foot skills. He would do poorly in every event of the decathalon. The decathalon might be the ultimate measure of athleticism. The Greeks may be the first culture to measure athleticism, and they formed the decatholon to see who the greatest athlete is in the world. It spans all cultures and generations in the past, and does not rely on the peculiarities of one sport. I knew Bruce Jenner. Bruce Jenner was a friend of mine. Shaq is no Bruce Jenner.

I think basketballs players would be most likely to do well in the decathalon, followed by the vote above for women's field hockey, then maybe volleyball.[/quote

:ylsuper:

I think basketballs players would be most likely to do well in the decathalon, followed by the vote above for women's field hockey, then maybe volleyball.[/quote

:ylsuper:

Yes we can disagree. I assume you're referring to Shaq in his prime in your op, since you talked about him dominating games. That hasn't really happened in a while. And Shaq in his prime was an outstanding athlete. People see the 370lb, injured, 35yr old Shaq and forget the 300lb, healthy, young Shaq. If you want to see quickness, foot moves and hand-eye, check the video. He was a freak.

PS. I'm not trying to hijack the thread or start a Shaq debate, but to call Shaq the "most unathletic player in the NBA" just isn't right.

I always said "I can take the best basketball player and make him any type of at least average player in another sport" We used to have to wrestle the wrestling team in gym class and most basketball players would hold their own or win against varsity guys. How about Labron James as a wide receiver or tight-end?

No other sport is like basketball. The combination of strength, agility, speed, coordination. Mentally and physically it is one of a kind. No other sport combines all of the ingredients that it takes to be a great athlete like basketball does.

To determine "best" you need some criteria such as those above.

To mix things up a bit, I vote "hockey". From a physical standpoint, you get strength, agility, speed, coordination, and endurance. Ever try to skate? To boot, hockey players play in shifts since it's so grueling. Mentally, hockey is similar to basketball but not as tough as others such as cross country or golf.

Nothing against basketball players - nor golfers for that matter!

I always said "I can take the best basketball player and make him any type of at least average player in another sport" We used to have to wrestle the wrestling team in gym class and most basketball players would hold their own or win against varsity guys. How about Labron James as a wide receiver or tight-end?

Take a basketball player and make him an average golfer. Im not saying golf produces the best athletes (although I would argue that Tiger Woods is one of the greatest athletes of all time), but golf might be the most difficult sport to play. For this argument, I will say basketball (out of "the big 3") produces the best athletes.