Cats Pause-16th Region

Alright, I'm the main guilty party here (since I asked the ? first) so let me be the first to help reel this one back in as Lion Mania properly suggested. Let's start another thread if we want to discuss the future of the 16th region and get back to the topic at hand,,,,this season in the 16th. I was simply asking if the Elliott posters who have populated this forum since the success of Elliott Co. recently would stay in the event that they don't have the same success. I guess I got more than my answer.

So, back to the topic at hand. This season in the 16th.:thumb:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just love how everyone has became Elliott County haters all of a sudden. I guess that comes along with success. All I know is that Elliott has the potential to win the Sweet Sixteen this season. We'll worry about 2012 when we get there.
Who is hating on Elliott? On the contrary, I think everyone in their right mind picks them to win. Just trying to dispel the paranoia.

Exactly. And when the other 3 are gone, assuming he stays, he'll be required to handle that scoring load, rebounding load, assist load by his lonesome. Elliott has a solid 7th gr. team. I doubt that when they are freshmen and he's a Sr. that they will be the "regional favorites".

I will be the first to say I bet Knipp is playing in the 4th region his junior and senior year.

Duck I do respect you, but even with the starters Raceland lost GC has no match up with Boyles or Barker they have proven that the last 2 years, an until this actually becomes a TEAM instead of 5 individuals I see them no better than 3rd in the 63rd no disrespect intended just honest observation from someone who has no dog in the fight.

Well you must not have seen the new kid Jacop Prater play defense he could the answer for Boyles and you honestly dont think that Chris Baker or Trey Williams couldnt guard Barker?

Well you must not have seen the new kid Jacop Prater play defense he could the answer for Boyles and you honestly dont think that Chris Baker or Trey Williams couldnt guard Barker?

I'd like to take the opportunity to answer that.

No.

At least not that well.

While I can not answer as well as spindoc, just let me say what I have heard about certain transfers, there are reasons they transfer, and son if you watched any summer ball you wouldn't have mentioned if Baker or Williams can guard Barker. As spindoc so elonquently put it NO WAY.

I don't doubt that some scores do get run up, but that protest gets old after a while... and actually sounds a lot like whining.

Elliott's had some terrific individual players over the years, but never five kids the likes of Ferguson, the Faulkner boys and the Knipp brothers. They are one of those rare combinations that seldom occurs at the same time in any school, much less a school the size of Elliott. Beyond them, Morgan is a player, Flannery and Nickel can stroke it from the county line, but unless something's changed, Elliott has no real depth to speak of. I'm hardly an apologist for Rick Mays, but it's not like he has a bench full of promising B teamers who can fill in for the starting five without a significant let off. For a team that only goes seven or eight deep, there's not a lot a coach can do but leave two or three starters on the floor the whole game. When two or three of your starters only know one way to play and that's with everything hanging out, full speed ahead, scores are going to climb... and truth be told, that's what makes Elliott so fun to watch.

When teams are down 20 or more late in a game, and the winning coach attempts to sub out and let off the gas a bit, only to have the losing coach go into a full court press or some other last ditch effort to pull the score closer, the winning coach may have no choice but to put his key players back on the floor to take care of the ball and ensure the win. That is not the winning coach's fault, but some who do not understand the game will blame him.

Another factor is the reality of conditioning for big games and tournament play where a coach can't let up on his horses, but has to spur them on against higher caliber competition. If he's been playing them only two quarters a game just to be nice and hope everyone likes him for only beating them by 20 instead of 40, his horses may not have enough in the tank come crunch time. Again, that coach shouldn't be blamed for looking out for the long term betterment of his team.

The bottom line is, a win's a win, and a loss is a loss, whether by 1 point or 100 points. I personally find a one point loss a whole lot harder to deal with than a 30 point loss.

As far as East Carter goes, Barnhill and Kawada will be huge in the paint, Bair can be as hard nosed as any guard in the region, and Jackson is capable of lighting things up. I wouldn't be overlooking East if I were Elliott this season. :thumb:

Is there a copy key for this quote? I know all year we will have to hear about Elliott's coaches trying to win big and not really coaching. This quote from someone that is not from Elliott says a lot. It's called basketball and Elliott County has found a way to play it well. Deal with it is all I will say.