Cats Pause-16th Region

Elliot Co should walk through this region. I don't see any team playing within 20 points of them and the starters should be well rested throughout the season as the majority of their games the starters will be out by mid third quarter.

The 16th is probably the weakest region in the state IMO.

East Carter is always up and ready to play Elliott County. As far as the starters being out by mid third Quarter,,,That won't happen.:D

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giant drop. But for someone from another region who hasn't seen East to discount them is silly.

I wasn't discounting them. Just stating that East may be an above average 16th region team, but statewide they would struggle against the better teams.

Elliott will win this region hands down this year. Then Elliot's new coaching staff and players next year will take it on the chin for all the scores being run up on them from the past couple of years.

East Carter does have a nice team with size, but won't be able to play with Elliott come post season.

Elliott will win this region hands down this year. Then Elliot's new coaching staff and players next year will take it on the chin for all the scores being run up on them from the past couple of years.

East Carter does have a nice team with size, but won't be able to play with Elliott come post season.

I don't doubt that some scores do get run up, but that protest gets old after a while... and actually sounds a lot like whining.

Elliott's had some terrific individual players over the years, but never five kids the likes of Ferguson, the Faulkner boys and the Knipp brothers. They are one of those rare combinations that seldom occurs at the same time in any school, much less a school the size of Elliott. Beyond them, Morgan is a player, Flannery and Nickel can stroke it from the county line, but unless something's changed, Elliott has no real depth to speak of. I'm hardly an apologist for Rick Mays, but it's not like he has a bench full of promising B teamers who can fill in for the starting five without a significant let off. For a team that only goes seven or eight deep, there's not a lot a coach can do but leave two or three starters on the floor the whole game. When two or three of your starters only know one way to play and that's with everything hanging out, full speed ahead, scores are going to climb... and truth be told, that's what makes Elliott so fun to watch.

When teams are down 20 or more late in a game, and the winning coach attempts to sub out and let off the gas a bit, only to have the losing coach go into a full court press or some other last ditch effort to pull the score closer, the winning coach may have no choice but to put his key players back on the floor to take care of the ball and ensure the win. That is not the winning coach's fault, but some who do not understand the game will blame him.

Another factor is the reality of conditioning for big games and tournament play where a coach can't let up on his horses, but has to spur them on against higher caliber competition. If he's been playing them only two quarters a game just to be nice and hope everyone likes him for only beating them by 20 instead of 40, his horses may not have enough in the tank come crunch time. Again, that coach shouldn't be blamed for looking out for the long term betterment of his team.

The bottom line is, a win's a win, and a loss is a loss, whether by 1 point or 100 points. I personally find a one point loss a whole lot harder to deal with than a 30 point loss.

As far as East Carter goes, Barnhill and Kawada will be huge in the paint, Bair can be as hard nosed as any guard in the region, and Jackson is capable of lighting things up. I wouldn't be overlooking East if I were Elliott this season. :thumb:

East Carter will be playing in the Tates Creek Commodore Classic to start the season, so we will have a good idea right away just how well they stack up against some of the top teams around the state.

I know teams already committed to playing in it are Holmes, Bryan Station, Male, and of course Tates Creek. I think there are still 2 more teams TBA.

Do you know something we don't?