73 members have voted

1. 1. Cobb or Hartline?

• Cobb
    • Hartline

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets be honest, what can Hartline bring to the table? He hasnt shown he can throw a single pass over 5 yards. However my answer to the poll would be whoever Brooks wants.

Agree, Hartline seems to be scared to throw it down the field, Cobb, threw and INT, But atleast it was a pass of more then 10 Yards.

This was something I posted in another thread on this subject, and I believe it applies here.

As best I could tell, the passing plays that the staff called while Cobb was playing QB were about as simple as it gets. The were mostly rollouts, which is good for him for a few reasons: 1) it gets him out on the edge so that he can easily use his legs, 2) rollouts limit the field of vision, and simplify things for a QB. With a rollout a QB is looking at 2 maybe 3 potential receivers, and probably only has to make one read to decide where to throw the football.

One of the few times Cobb sat in the shotgun and attempted to make his progressions on a 4 or 5 receiver route, he stared down his receiver (running a flag route) and by doing so drew the safety over too early and ended up throwing into double coverage and got intercepted. Hartline routinely sat in the pocket and made these reads, and while he wasn't able to push the ball down the field much, he was able to protect the football and not give it away.

At this point, neither Hartline or Cobb is the answer by themselves. UK needs Hartline's poise in the pocket and ability to make safe decisions along with Cobb's ability to come in and make plays with his legs to be effective from the QB position. Perhaps the most important aspect to either Hartline and Cobb's potential success is a reliable productive running game. Without the threat to line up and run the football, neither quarterback is capable right now of propelling this offense to the level of productivity required to win games in the SEC.

I think UK has a good problem. A dual-threat quarterback situation, Cobb can run and pass and Hartline is becoming even more comfortable in the pocket and relying more on his receivers. But ... what happens when next season rolls around and you have a 4-star freshman and a 5-star freshman under Cobb and Hartline?