Lee Co, VA 43 Harlan 0

dragon_slayer

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grubbs, Halburnt, Hollins, Rigney, Blas, Witt, Carr, Ison, plus the 8-10 that transfered to New Harlan. This is close to twenty players and most of the skill that was in the HMS pipeline is gone, this is the true picture as to why the level has gone down.

:thumb:

There are even more Bayshore. I'll have names later. It is very frustrating that they don't play. I know that there are a few that played last year and did not come out this year. Does coach go after these guys? What's the problem? :irked:

Fields is one I had in mind QB/Receiver type, Cloud 6'3" 275 lineman (played last year) and Frazier 6'4" 185 (B-Ball) end/receiver type. "Great"? Well, maybe you got me on that one. :D I only know of a few transfers Mama Bear. That was their personal choice. Good luck to them. I'll agree that 3 sports is tougher than it used to be. Seems a lot play 2 now days.

To be successful in athletics at small schools, kids need to be playing multiple sports. It kills me to see so many "concentrating" on only one sport, when their chances of playing college level ball are very slim in none. So rather than being a help on multiple sports teams, they choose to be mediocre players at best in only one sport

To be successful in athletics at small schools, kids need to be playing multiple sports. It kills me to see so many "concentrating" on only one sport, when their chances of playing college level ball are very slim in none. So rather than being a help on multiple sports teams, they choose to be mediocre players at best in only one sport

If they are mediocre at best if they play one sport, they probably aren't going to have a big impact in their second or third best sports.

One of the arguments about the small schools is that more children get to participate in sports, but sometimes it's the same kids in every sport.

I don't think any of the kids mentioned would have had any impact on this year's Harlan team, except Fields.

I can think of three former Dragons on the New Harlan team last year, but I think two of them started out as Indians. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

Fields is one I had in mind QB/Receiver type, Cloud 6'3" 275 lineman (played last year) and Frazier 6'4" 185 (B-Ball) end/receiver type. "Great"? Well, maybe you got me on that one. :D I only know of a few transfers Mama Bear. That was their personal choice. Good luck to them. I'll agree that 3 sports is tougher than it used to be. Seems a lot play 2 now days.

I only know of 4 in the past 5 years to transfer and play football on the New Harlan middle school team. I think playing 3 sports is very tough due to the length of the seasons now and the demands that coaches put on their players to participate in offseason. Especially at a smaller school, you need your "athletes" to participate. It's a tough thing to do play three sports and maintain a high level of academics, but it can be done.:thumb:

The Dragons are so thin that they can't afford to lose anyone! Even one additional decent football player could make a difference. It's hard to watch most of these guys play both ways with no breaks. I know it is part of playing football at a small school. Even "back in the day" a lot of guys played O and D. I know how hard that is. Cloud could have been a dandy HDE but he lost interest for some reason. Go figure.:confused:

To add to WV this is where the mass exodus from HMS is coming back to the surface for the high school sports programs. A few years ago there were about ten students that hade been Harlan students since K4 decided that they didn't like what was going on in the Middle school and left to go on to major success for the New Harlan Patriots. These kids are now in high school and the void created is what we are going through. Not only were these good athletes but good students as well, so HHS is forced to wait until the next wave of numbers come through. We that follow the progress of the Dragons are hopeful that this group of middle school teams is going to have the success that Harlan fans strive for good sports and great students.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the basketball teams in the mid 90's that Harlan had great success with were all County kids through k4 until they were plucked from different parts of the county?(Cumberland, Wallins, Loyall,) just to name a few. On the middle school sports (football) I have to aggree with HDE how can you tell if they are getting better if they are not playing the previous schdule of years past. I think if I am not mistaken that they are now 1-1 with there only win being over Pineville. If that is your measuring stick of a team that is coming back to the surface then every middle school in kentucky is surfing way above the surface. I just can't for the life of me understand why they refuse to play teams close to home but will travel hundred of miles to get the same results. Harlan football is far and I mean far from ever having sucess unless you consider sucess finishing fourth in your district and making the playoffs. I don't want to bust anyone's bubble but lets face the facts and quit putting false assumption on these athletes. Because they are the savors of the Green Dargons when all they have done is down graded there schedule so that they can celebrate a win or two per season. I respect the Dragon fans for there loyality to there team but lets call it like it is (you can't argue the facts)

All of the kids mentioned would have made a huge impact on this years team, while I would agree that no one would have been a star, the fact that just having bodies to get a real look when you run your scout teams is one area they would be a major help. The thing that hurts the most is that without these players coach D has not been able to get the benifit of playing JV or freshman games the experience gained alone could result in a win or two per year.

To add to WV this is where the mass exodus from HMS is coming back to the surface for the high school sports programs. A few years ago there were about ten students that hade been Harlan students since K4 decided that they didn't like what was going on in the Middle school and left to go on to major success for the New Harlan Patriots. These kids are now in high school and the void created is what we are going through. Not only were these good athletes but good students as well, so HHS is forced to wait until the next wave of numbers come through. We that follow the progress of the Dragons are hopeful that this group of middle school teams is going to have the success that Harlan fans strive for good sports and great students.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the basketball teams in the mid 90's that Harlan had great success with were all County kids through k4 until they were plucked from different parts of the county?(Cumberland, Wallins, Loyall,) just to name a few. On the middle school sports (football) I have to aggree with HDE how can you tell if they are getting better if they are not playing the previous schdule of years past. I think if I am not mistaken that they are now 1-1 with there only win being over Pineville. If that is your measuring stick of a team that is coming back to the surface then every middle school in kentucky is surfing way above the surface. I just can't for the life of me understand why they refuse to play teams close to home but will travel hundred of miles to get the same results. Harlan football is far and I mean far from ever having sucess unless you consider sucess finishing fourth in your district and making the playoffs. I don't want to bust anyone's bubble but lets face the facts and quit putting false assumption on these athletes. Because they are the savors of the Green Dargons when all they have done is down graded there schedule so that they can celebrate a win or two per season. I respect the Dragon fans for there loyality to there team but lets call it like it is (you can't argue the facts)

I thought this subject was one the reasons for the decline of HHS football, but to debate your logic, since the 60s some 50 plus years ago parents of children in Harlan Co have choosen to send their kids to HISD for whatever reason, and that is a trend that still plays out today. With this in mind, thus the reasoning on how loosing players where ever has put the program back in being successful at this time.

Just a thought, maybe some of these kids you mention don't like J.B. for some reason. Maybe he is too hard on them or maybe they don't think the same way. No ones fault some people just can't mesh. Someone brought up basketball in the 90's. I was at Cawood in that time and I know there were a lot of guys who were really good basketball players in middle school and p.e. class that didn't like cawoods basketball coach so they wouldn't play. Could have made them a lot better and the coach got to see the talent he was missing out on in p.e. almost everyday. Just a mystery I guess.

All of the kids mentioned would have made a huge impact on this years team, while I would agree that no one would have been a star, the fact that just having bodies to get a real look when you run your scout teams is one area they would be a major help. The thing that hurts the most is that without these players coach D has not been able to get the benifit of playing JV or freshman games the experience gained alone could result in a win or two per year.

Bayshore makes important points. Although depth is important, it seems to have become more something to pay lip service. I remember in the day that most of us went both ways and it didnt seem to be a big deal. However, we also had plenty of good scout team players to get you ready during the week and there was also plenty of JV action for those not getting to play as much varsity. In other words, there was plenty for everyone to do.:thumb:

You weren't at a school with 250 students either. I think 25 to 30 players is a pretty good percentage in today's world.

I can't imagine anyone would have a problem with J.B. He's had plenty of players through the years with little or no skills who still stick with the program, and no one can identify players with little or no skills better than me.