Cardinal Mooney, OH 57 Covington Catholic 0

bjknku02

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me at least after watching the two scrimmages (I didn't attend the Mooney game) the lack of "D" and a very (IMO) vanilla "O" is the problem. It's sweep left, sweep right, run a play up the middle, then a pass.

Was told CovCath didn't even try a single screen pass against a team that had a monster pass rush. Why?

Coach Brossart offensive play calling is vanilla ice cream with nothing else, where as in 06 under Coach R, the offense was vanilla ice cream covered with rich hot fudge, whipped cream, peanuts, with hundred of sprinkles all over the mix and a couple of cherries on top! It is, a night and day difference between the two play calling wise!

Here is another difference! From what I understand, the CovCath QB is not allowed to call a audible under Brossart, where as under Coach R, the QB could and did audible as he saw fit!

Hopefully the coaches can get the players and there own selves ready to play a very, very good Newport Central Catholic team on Friday because if CovCath is not ready to play, this game could get real ugly too!

This game Friday night, just might be the most important game that CovCath plays all year long for both the players season and the coaches jobs! CovCath students, parents, administration, and alums aren't used to seeing their team so soundly beaten, and with a new Principal at CovCath, well he didn't hire Brossart! Remember this is just, "Theoldguys opinion" nothing more nothing less!

Is anyone else completely shocked by this score? I am not surprised that Mooney won, but I am utterly socked with the margin of victory, and with the shut out.

Seme here.:eek: What exactly happened? Was Mooney just that good or was CCHS just not prepaired at all?:confused:

To me at least after watching the two scrimmages (I didn't attend the Mooney game) the lack of "D" and a very (IMO) vanilla "O" is the problem. It's sweep left, sweep right, run a play up the middle, then a pass.

Was told CovCath didn't even try a single screen pass against a team that had a monster pass rush. Why?

Coach Brossart offensive play calling is vanilla ice cream with nothing else, where as in 06 under Coach R, the offense was vanilla ice cream covered with rich hot fudge, whipped cream, peanuts, with hundred of sprinkles all over the mix and a couple of cherries on top! It is, a night and day difference between the two play calling wise!

Here is another difference! From what I understand, the CovCath QB is not allowed to call a audible under Brossart, where as under Coach R, the QB could and did audible as he saw fit!

Hopefully the coaches can get the players and there own selves ready to play a very, very good Newport Central Catholic team on Friday because if CovCath is not ready to play, this game could get real ugly too!

This game Friday night, just might be the most important game that CovCath plays all year long for both the players season and the coaches jobs! CovCath students, parents, administration, and alums aren't used to seeing their team so soundly beaten, and with a new Principal at CovCath, well he didn't hire Brossart! Remember this is just, "Theoldguys opinion" nothing more nothing less!

Why ya gotta do that Old Guy? Now I am craving a Graeters Hot Fudge Sunday. :banana:

Maybe the personnell was that much better that Coach R could dump the kitchen sink including gummy bears which you forgot on the Vanilla.

Coach B may just be a more conservative coach and being a former offensive lineman I am sure he is going to focus primarily on the run. Last I checked doesnt CCH have one of the best and biggest Offensive lines in NKY? I think there will probably be some changes to some things but dont expect them to run the Benny Willis Special next week. PM me if you want to know what that is.

I think the NCC/CCH game will be the best ticket going next week.

Its always so easy to blame the coach. Because I guess last we all checked he was the one who was supposed to keep Mooney out of the endzone. Its his job to snap on punts and throw passes to players in the flat? I dont think Coach B lacks any intensity and I am sure this is a gut check to him and all of his players.

I can understand the CCH faithful being upset and having an anxiety attack but you gotta believe in your coach if you want to be successfull. That goes for the players also so if there is any dissention in that locker room it will translate onto the field and into a bunch of losses.

Im sure there will be some gassers this week up at CovCath. The question is going to be who has the intestinal fortitude to lace up their boots next week and work that much harder?

I promise you if Coach R was the coach of this team with the same players the outcome would have been a little more favorable towards CovCath. Maybe not a win, but to say a 57 point loss and a shutout would have happened under his call is absurd. He was head and shoulders above Brossart in the football coaching knowledge category and my opinion has already been set. CovCath made an awful decision hiring Brossart.

I promise you if Coach R was the coach of this team with the same players the outcome would have been a little more favorable towards CovCath. Maybe not a win, but to say a 57 point loss and a shutout would have happened under his call is absurd. He was head and shoulders above Brossart in the football coaching knowledge category and my opinion has already been set. CovCath made an awful decision hiring Brossart.

The more I watch them, the more that I tend to agree with you. I have been giving him the benefit of the doubt and hoping that it was just going to take time. These players had a whole year to learn the system and go through the weight system. This loss was an absolute embarrassment!

I am shocked of this score! I am a loyal Highlands fan but when CCH plays teams from OHIO I become a fan of any KY team playing against OH teams. I don't know what happened, but I feel sorry for who Cov Cath plays next week because they will receive a week of pent-up aggression. Colonels will be OK. I am not sure what this coach is doing, nor do I really care. Everything can't come from the coach. Are there a lot of young players on this Colonel team? We'll see what happens when they start their district schedule. Don't give up on your team so quick colonel fans. They may bounce back and run the regular season table, who knows?

Brossart plays too much with the players' heads. His philosophy is way off base and he doesn't give you a straight answer on some of the things he does. He needs to get his act together because a lot of the Colonel faithful are getting tired of his teams not producing like they should.

Edited by mcpapa

BTW the main difference between Rodenberg and Brossart is the preperation aspect. Coach Rodenberg always had the team mentally prepared and he had a gameplan that could suceed. I think Brossart would be a good assistant coach, but he is not a head coach. It shows by the way of the team's performance since he took over. I know these seniors and I know they can suceed. Its just a matter of the coaching staff preparing them correctly.

You are exactly right. There are no audibles in this system. Rodenberg gave freedom to his players and it worked really well. A perfect example is the last second touchdown against Highlands in 06'. Bleser checked off the slant and through the fade.

In all fairness to CCH/Coach Brossart, I don't think you can make judgments about Coach Brossart based on playing an out of state power four hours from home. My gut feeling is Mooney would beat a lot of schools from KY that bad.

There may be a time to "jump on" Coach Brossart but now is not that time.

Also, for everyone playing the Coach R card, remember Bishop Watterson, OH put it on CCH twice in two years and those were two very successful years for the Colonels and Coach R. I am not attacking Coach R, I am trying to illustrate getting your lunch handed to you by an Ohio football power doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of KY success.

Give Coach Brossart a few games. If NCC and Beechwood beat CCH; and Highlands drills CCH, then and only then, is this kind of criticism possibly warranted.

You are exactly right. There are no audibles in this system. Rodenberg gave freedom to his players and it worked really well. A perfect example is the last second touchdown against Highlands in 06'. Bleser checked off the slant and through the fade.

Ok, Rodenberg was defiantly a better coach, but lets look at the talent he had on that team compared to the talent on this years team. I dont think it is very fair to say "well if Rodenberg was coaching this game would have been a completly different story". Fact of the matter is that CovCath doesnt have the talent this year. I have said it from day 1, this years team is very down, they have 1 solid player and that is VanSant. So lets not put all of the criticism towards Brossart as far as the team played last night. Whatever issues are going on with Brossart they should be resolved but that is no excuse to get blown out 59-0. If this team is as good as you all are saying than theres no way they lose that game like that just because of their coach.

In all fairness to CCH/Coach Brossart, I don't think you can make judgments about Coach Brossart based on playing an out of state power four hours from home. My gut feeling is Mooney would beat a lot of schools from KY that bad.

There may be a time to "jump on" Coach Brossart but now is not that time.

Also, for everyone playing the Coach R card, remember Bishop Watterson, OH put it on CCH twice in two years and those were two very successful years for the Colonels and Coach R. I am not attacking Coach R, I am trying to illustrate getting your lunch handed to you by an Ohio football power doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of KY success.

Give Coach Brossart a few games. If NCC and Beechwood beat CCH; and Highlands drills CCH, then and only then, is this kind of criticism possibly warranted.

Coach Rodenberg also never lost to NewCath and never got beat by 60 points. Brossart needs to realize a simple fact about football: You got to actually score points to win a game. The type of offense he tries to run is totally ridiculous. I feel like I am watching a peewee offense.

Didn't the almighty wonderful Rodenburg go 2-8 last season at Roger Bacon???

It has everything to do with the players' talent, motivation, abilty to follow direction, and heart when the going gets tough.

Coaches get too much credit when they win and too much blame when they lose.