Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cardinal Mooney, OH 57 Covington Catholic 0

Featured Replies

LBBC one day, well maybe one day, your boys at PC just might, no make that maybe they might, no make that they can only dream about being as good in football, as CovCath has been and will continue to be! Our expectation are a bit higher than those in PC land! :lol:

 

Remember too LBBC, CovCath has won more state football championships trophies, than years PC has been playing football! :thumb:

 

Typical response from someone who has only ever watched.

 

How many years did it take for CCH to compete for state titles?

Many many years. Of those years how many did you participate in?

  • Replies 89
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick to the game and not each other and leave PC out of it.

How can you say they weren't talented as freshmen. From what I remember they only lost one or two games. The talent is there at CCH. But I will say that teams that are planning to contend for a state title don't lose by 60 points. It all comes down to the coaches getting there team prepared to win games like for example actually giving the team scouting reports. And as far as the defense is concerned, I am completly shocked by there play over the past three weeks. I would have thought they would be the strength of this team. I guess a DC that was a pewee coach pryor to last year just isn't cutting it.

 

 

Brossart's staff is very weak in comparison to who Rodenberg brought to the table. The players feared and respected most of those coaches while they were at CCH. They knew exactly what they were expected to go out and do on game day, and they did it.

 

Last season the players (with the exception of a few) seemed less focused, less confident, and much less prepared than they should have been. They talked about their poor game planning and lack of preparation almost every week. And it showed on the field. It seemed like a joke to some.

 

(And personally I would not hire a pewee coach and expect him to coordinate a defense to stop the best High School offenses in the area.)

Brossart's staff is very weak in comparison to who Rodenberg brought to the table. The players feared and respected most of those coaches while they were at CCH. They knew exactly what they were expected to go out and do on game day, and they did it.

 

Last season the players (with the exception of a few) seemed less focused, less confident, and much less prepared than they should have been. They talked about their poor game planning and lack of preparation almost every week. And it showed on the field. It seemed like a joke to some.

 

(And personally I would not hire a pewee coach and expect him to coordinate a defense to stop the best High School offenses in the area.)

 

I didn't see the Mooney game so I can't respond to your points. But knowing the program, some of the kids at CCH and what I've heard about Brossart and some of the other coaches at CCH, I'm confident that things will get turned around this year at CCH and they will represent the school with pride, spirit and integrity (this thread merits inclusion in the BGP Classics if for no other reason that Leatherneck and Henry are defending CCH football :thumb:).

 

The team may continue to struggle, who knows, but if so, such is when they will need the support more than ever of their supporters and fans. Highlands has been on the wrong end of some tail whippings over the years ( Colerain, St. X and De Sales in 05 most recently), and when that happened, the support of the Birds fans was when the team and coaches needed us the most. CCH fans, stick with your team, player and coaches. This talk about getting outscored 97-0 over the last two games may be a tad unfair; those two losses were to two rather exceptional teams I think with some unusual circumstances. Go Colonels, this Highlands fan is still behind you guys!

In all fairness to CCH/Coach Brossart, I don't think you can make judgments about Coach Brossart based on playing an out of state power four hours from home. My gut feeling is Mooney would beat a lot of schools from KY that bad.

 

There may be a time to "jump on" Coach Brossart but now is not that time.

 

Also, for everyone playing the Coach R card, remember Bishop Watterson, OH put it on CCH twice in two years and those were two very successful years for the Colonels and Coach R. I am not attacking Coach R, I am trying to illustrate getting your lunch handed to you by an Ohio football power doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of KY success.

 

Give Coach Brossart a few games. If NCC and Beechwood beat CCH; and Highlands drills CCH, then and only then, is this kind of criticism possibly warranted.

 

 

Great points Ru. And let's not forget that Mooney already had one game under their belt. A lot of "football people" believe that a team improves more between game one and game two than at any time throughout the year. In addition to the advantages that Mooney had which you mentioned, add that one also.

Is Brossart the right guy? Don't know. I haven't seen it yet but I also know that the talent level this year and last coupled with Buckley's injury last year does not give us an apples-to-apples comparison. CCH had a nice run from 04 through 06 with 3 strong classes with lots of depth.

 

The current roster has one player you game plan against on both sides of the ball and he's the same player. This team does not have the depth nor talent to compete with REALLY strong teams and we'll see that again this year.

 

Fortunately, only one of those teams is in the way of the goal and that team is not as strong as they were last year either.

 

I'm certainly not a football genius but it wasn't too hard to see in the scrimmages that the D was lacking in players/playmakers. The O with the exception of PVS and Michael Robinson has average speed at best if I'm being generous. This will require long drives which at the high school level is a big challenge. It requires a lot of things to go right in order to get to the end zone.

 

With this schedule, this team is a .500 team but , again, that's irrelevant.

 

I know this. After giving up 400 yards rushing and 8 YPC, CCH had better be prepared for Dixie to run the ball then run it again and then run some more. I doubt we'll see them pass the ball very much.

Mooney can play toe to toe with anyone in Ohio and/or Kentucky.

 

No question and not many expected the Colonels to go to Canton and win.

 

HOWEVER

 

The fans certainly didn't expect to give up 400 yards, give up 57 points, put up a goose egg , and only gain 80 yards on offense.

 

That's what's hard to take.

More than halft the team didn't show up for halft of the practices to buy in....so you know not of what you speak.

 

It is really hard to coach kids who aren't there.

 

I know more than you think there Reality.

Guru makes good points in his post. If the Colonels lose to NCC, Beechwood and then Highlands hands them their 4th loss of the season then it may be time to get the lynchmob out.

 

By the way I think the Colonels could end up 0-4 here really soon. NCC executes very well and has a great running/passing combo. Beechwood is solid in the ground game and the Birds at DCM statdium will be a monumental task regardlesss. Sounds to me like they struggle offensively. Like someone said above, you have to put it in the endzone or through the goalpost to win.

Guru makes good points in his post. If the Colonels lose to NCC, Beechwood and then Highlands hands them their 4th loss of the season then it may be time to get the lynchmob out.

 

By the way I think the Colonels could end up 0-4 here really soon. NCC executes very well and has a great running/passing combo. Beechwood is solid in the ground game and the Birds at DCM statdium will be a monumental task regardlesss. Sounds to me like they struggle offensively. Like someone said above, you have to put it in the endzone or through the goalpost to win.

 

I know I have been putting a lot of the blame on coach Brossart and I will continue to. If you only run about 5 offensive plays and 3 happen to be run plays, your offense will struggle, and continue to struggle throughout the season.

I know I have been putting a lot of the blame on coach Brossart and I will continue to. If you only run about 5 offensive plays and 3 happen to be run plays, your offense will struggle, and continue to struggle throughout the season.

 

Here is an idea. Line up in Power I and smash it down teams throats. Put Van Sant at tailback and let him go to work. CovCath's best asset is their big and physical line and Van Sant. I'm pretty sure that would put up more points than what they are now.

Guru makes good points in his post. If the Colonels lose to NCC, Beechwood and then Highlands hands them their 4th loss of the season then it may be time to get the lynchmob out.

 

By the way I think the Colonels could end up 0-4 here really soon. NCC executes very well and has a great running/passing combo. Beechwood is solid in the ground game and the Birds at DCM statdium will be a monumental task regardlesss. Sounds to me like they struggle offensively. Like someone said above, you have to put it in the endzone or through the goalpost to win.

 

I could see 0-3 but not 0-4, Scott is their 4th game. Looking at their schedule they could be staring another loosing season in the face.

Let's just chalk this game up to what it was--a bad game from almost all aspects. NCC on the scope now. Let's bring this one home and support the team. The players and coaches know this past weekend wasn't what was expected of them. But like in all sports, it is how you recover from a fall. Go Colonels beat the Breds!

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.