What happened to me?

Because the scar tissue from your previous knee surgery could've cause nerve damage, it may not connect where it's supposed to. So the pain,.... well you don't feel it, but it doesn't mean you didn't screw something up. You feel no pain because of the nerve damage, which sound EXTREMELY likely if you didn't rehap right, means you probably have a TON OF NERVE AND SCAR TYPE TISSUE in there that isn't supposed to be there.

I'm no doctor, but before chainging my major, I was pre physical therapy, and if you seen my orthapedic chart......which kinda looked like a bible by 20, and I'm not even 25. Well needless to say I've learned ALOT...

This is very interesting. I should also mention that I DID rehab my knee, just was not always as faithful doing my independent rehab excercises. It is kind of hard to do those types of things while you are teaching a chemistry lesson. :D

And Bluto and OR, no, I flushed the Percocets years ago! I know, what a waste! The strange thing is, the doctor would ask me every time I went to him afterwards if I needed a new presciption for them. He would look at me strangely when I would tell him that I had only used 2 from the first bottle.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tore my ACL about five years ago and had something like this happen to me a couple of months after surgery. I was doing something as simple as drying my dog off and turned and felt something move/pop. I freaked out but my knee didn't swell and I didn't really experience much pain. I wouldn't think much of it unless it starts to swell or you are in pain. I know its been many years since your surgery but it could have been scar tissue breaking up. I thought I re-tore my ACL about a year ago because my knee swelled up to the size of a softball after a basketball game. I went to the doctor and they did an MRI and everything was perfectly fine. My surgeon told me that everything was fine and that scar tissue was possibly still breaking up. But if you are really worried about it, I would go see your doctor!!

This is also very interesting. You and SF41 may be onto something about the scar tissue.

I should add that I still have absolutely no problems with the knee this morning, almost 24 hours after the "episode".

Strange. I have passed out twice in my 52 years. Once was due to a combination of heat and not eating. The other was after getting a cortisone shot in my shoulder about 30 years ago. No problem immediately after the shot. When the doctor told me to move the joint around, I could hear and feel the liquid sloshing around in the joint. No pain, but I went down like the proverbial ton of bricks.

This is also very interesting. You and SF41 may be onto something about the scar tissue.

I should add that I still have absolutely no problems with the knee this morning, almost 24 hours after the "episode".

Honestly, if it isn't bothering you at all, you most likely don't have anything to worry about!

Even though you did not feel any pain, you probably experienced a "VasoVagal" response to what felt strange to you. A vagal response means that you activated the tenth intracranial nerve, which can cause lower heart rate and a decreased blood pressure, and can, and will cause syncope (passing out). It is a pain response, but what you refer to as pain may not have taken place. None the less a pain response.

Kinda like many people get light headed and nauseated when they are in pain, some even pass out. This is most commonly caused by a VasoVagal response. Some people have a high pain tolerance and do not consider the situation to be painful, but the body still reacts in the same way.

Even though you did not feel any pain, you probably experienced a "VasoVagal" response to what felt strange to you. A vagal response means that you activated the tenth intracranial nerve, which can cause lower heart rate and a decreased blood pressure, and can, and will cause syncope (passing out). It is a pain response, but what you refer to as pain may not have taken place. None the less a pain response.

Kinda like many people get light headed and nauseated when they are in pain, some even pass out. This is most commonly caused by a VasoVagal response. Some people have a high pain tolerance and do not consider the situation to be painful, but the body still reacts in the same way.

I think we may have a winner!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vasovagal-response/AN01008

You'll notice that the person asking the question had a very similar incident.

Thank you, Dr Ram!!!! :dancingpa

On Old Olympus' Towering Top A Finn And German Viewed Some Hops.

Ugh! I'm sure that was scary!

So, not to hijack your thread, but...I have a question for the Dr. :lol:

When I 16, I was sitting in class and when I got up, I couldn't unbend my knee. For years, I could lay on my back and "pop" my knee. And it was such a weird feeling. Not like popping a joint in and out, but definitely popping something. When this incident occurred, they found out that I had tons of bone that had chipped off the inside of my knee, and a piece the size of a quarter had hinged on some cartilage and jammed in my joint. So, I had one of the arthroscopic surgeries in Louisville. Dubious honor. :lol: In the process they scraped off all the cartilage from the inside of my knee, which I didn't learn until about 10 years ago. So, for 26 years, my knee has been bone rubbing on bone, and lately, the swelling has gotten to be REALLY bad. It's never not swollen. I rarely even wear shorts these days because it's so embarassing.

So, in a nutshell, I've been considering taking the advice of an orthopedic I saw years ago and have it replaced. But, I can live with the pain, so I haven't really been rushed to do it until this swelling has pretty much become the norm for it. Is the fact that I'm ignoring the pain, or have learned to live with it, causing more damage?

Ugh! I'm sure that was scary!

So, not to hijack your thread, but...I have a question for the Dr. :lol:

When I 16, I was sitting in class and when I got up, I couldn't unbend my knee. For years, I could lay on my back and "pop" my knee. And it was such a weird feeling. Not like popping a joint in and out, but definitely popping something. When this incident occurred, they found out that I had tons of bone that had chipped off the inside of my knee, and a piece the size of a quarter had hinged on some cartilage and jammed in my joint. So, I had one of the arthroscopic surgeries in Louisville. Dubious honor. :lol: In the process they scraped off all the cartilage from the inside of my knee, which I didn't learn until about 10 years ago. So, for 26 years, my knee has been bone rubbing on bone, and lately, the swelling has gotten to be REALLY bad. It's never not swollen. I rarely even wear shorts these days because it's so embarassing.

So, in a nutshell, I've been considering taking the advice of an orthopedic I saw years ago and have it replaced. But, I can live with the pain, so I haven't really been rushed to do it until this swelling has pretty much become the norm for it. Is the fact that I'm ignoring the pain, or have learned to live with it, causing more damage?

The bone fragments that you had removed probably did damage to your meniscus. The meniscus is a disc of cartilage that provides padding between your femur (Uper leg) and your Tibia (lower leg). With out your meniscus, you have bone rubbing on bone, this can be very painful and can necessitate a partial or complete knee replacement.

You may want to check with an orthopedist now, because there has been some innovation in replacing the meniscus in the last several years. You may have more options now. Plus, you do not want a knee replacement before you have to have it. They normally only last ten years. So, if you have it say before 60, you will probably have to have a second one in you life time.

I have had shoulder surgery this happens to me sometimes with a really hard cough or sneeze, it is very painful and I get a fevery feeling.

Vasovagal response, or stimulation of the tenth intracranial nerve can happen in several different ways. We have already spoke of the pain reaction. A vagal response can also occur during a bowl movement, or anytime a person is bearing down. It can also occur while sneezing, coughing, or if you were to fall in cold water.

This happens to me often. I get injured in my sleep about three times a month. Sometimes I can't straingten up for days. Sometimes I have scratches all over me. I sleep alone, lay flat. I have no idea what going on.

My kid hurt her hand years ago at BBall camp. She complained very little, I told her to suck it up, which se did for three weeks, when I finally took her to the ER. She had three broken bones in her wrist. Plus, she just tore her LCL recently, was in great pain, and I honestly couldn't see any difference compared to her other knee.

I lothe doctors myself, but if it makes you feel better, I'd go see one.