"I Respect Your Opinion" - What???

I don't see how it is a lie. I respect a lot of opinions that I don't agree with. I respect a lot of posters in which I don't find much common ground with, too.

Technically though, you don't respect their opinion. You respect their right to have an opinion...correct? Can you respect an opinion?

I actually think you can respect an opinion. It's about being open-minded enough to understand how the opinion was formed, and being willing to acknowledge that there is no right or wrong way to perceive the topic at hand.

I can respect opinions that are formed on something more than a gut feeling. I can respect opinions when I know they're formed by looking at two sides, and weighing them against one's own values.

Technically though, you don't respect their opinion. You respect their right to have an opinion...correct? Can you respect an opinion?

Certainly I can. I can see how their opinion has merit and that it is based on solid thinking, experiences, etc. My thinking/experiences may lead me down a different path.

There is a difference between respect and agreeing. If I were a Catholic, could I respect the Baptist faith? Certainly, though I wouldn't have to agree with it.

I still think you are respecting the person and not the opinion. Two people can have the same opinion, one could be well thought out and looked at from all angles, as RM, TBandG, and 02 have pointed out. However, the other person could have that same opinion strictly based on emotion.

You guys are saying that you would respect the first opinion but not the second...

Not all opinions are valid or worthy of respect. The inverse is also true, too many people assume that my lack of respect for a ridiculous opinion somehow is an indictment of the person. They are not, the two are severable.

I still think you are respecting the person and not the opinion. Two people can have the same opinion, one could be well thought out and looked at from all angles, as RM, TBandG, and 02 have pointed out. However, the other person could have that same opinion strictly based on emotion.

You guys are saying that you would respect the first opinion but not the second...

How are we saying that? I can respect opinions based on emotion, too.

I actually think you can respect an opinion. It's about being open-minded enough to understand how the opinion was formed, and being willing to acknowledge that there is no right or wrong way to perceive the topic at hand.

I can respect opinions that are formed on something more than a gut feeling. I can respect opinions when I know they're formed by looking at two sides, and weighing them against one's own values.

Eggs-

There are sparring partners I can say that honestly to. Even when I disagree with their opinion I can still respect it because it's usually well thought out and reasonably presented.

-Actly

:thumb:

Its kinda like the phrase "In all due respect...." I think it was Ricky Bobby who used it in Talladega nights to tell his owner what he thought. When the owner said "You cant say that!" Ricky said "Yes I can...I said with all do respect....that means I can say whatever I want to say" Its was something like that....point is it's just a way of being respectful of other peoples opinions I believe.

Not all opinions are valid or worthy of respect. The inverse is also true, too many people assume that my lack of respect for a ridiculous opinion somehow is an indictment of the person. They are not, the two are severable.

:thumb: IMO it still all boils down to being able to define the word respect, some can.