"I Respect Your Opinion" - What???

They should say, "I respect you, your opinion is a different story."
I agree. I do not respect opinions. Sometimes I agree with opinions and sometimes I do not. I respect other people's right to express opinions that are different from my own. Sometimes I respect the people who express those opinions and sometimes I do not. But opinions are not things to be respected or disrespected, in my opinion.

I can respect opinions, even if they differ from mine. My aim is not to convert someone to my "side." It is to interject arguments that may agree or disagree with others. With that attitude I have no problem with respecting either the person or the opinion.

If you are 180 degrees (or 360 degrees for the mathematically challenged BGPers) to one's opinion, how can you respect it? In my mind, you might respect the person for their right to have it and their logical way of going about getting to it but you simply can't respect something that you disagree with wholeheartedly.

If you are hardcore for the war and I'm passionately against it, I don't respect your opinion. I MIGHT respect you if you seem like a good person and you seem like you believe in what you're saying and you seem to follow a somewhat logical path BUT I won't respect your opinion - and I don't see how that's a bad thing. It seems logical.

I really think we're afraid to offend the other person so we sugar coat it before we tell them they're completely wrong.

I can respect opinions, even if they differ from mine. My aim is not to convert someone to my "side." It is to interject arguments that may agree or disagree with others. With that attitude I have no problem with respecting either the person or the opinion.

:thumb:

I cannot respect a position that it is acceptable to take the life of an unborn child.

Nor can I.

Its kinda like the phrase "In all due respect...." I think it was Ricky Bobby who used it in Talladega nights to tell his owner what he thought. When the owner said "You cant say that!" Ricky said "Yes I can...I said with all do respect....that means I can say whatever I want to say" Its was something like that....point is it's just a way of being respectful of other peoples opinions I believe.

And that was more or less stolen from "The Pest" with John Leguizamo where he ended all of his insults with "no offense!"

...With the exceptions of a couple of scenes, that was a REALLY stupid movie.