Paul...why was he chosen?

Saul, later Paul was chosen by Jesus to carry on his work. Saul who was part Jewish and part Roman was only interested in stopping the newly formed Christians. He searched them out with many followers and either put them in jail or killed them. Men/women/children.

Saul was at the "stoning of Stephen and even OKed the invent.

Any ideas why this man was hand picked by Jesus when he had so many Disciples who walked with him?

It took a blinding light to stop Saul and a voice from Jesus and Saul made a 180 degree turnabout. He went from killing Christians to preaching to both Jew/Gentiles about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

If you don't know Jesus as your Lord and Savior could you be like Saul, and turn your eyes toward Jesus before its too late?

We are not promised another day. Young man dies in a car accident/rollar coaster accident/Illness/Being the wrong place at the wrong time. People at their jobs/ I could go on and on.

Be like Saul and become like Paul.

God chose and used Paul. It was because He knew Paul was capable of remaining a faithful servant to the end: “...He is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel” (Acts 9:15).

Paul had been a Pharisee, a member of one of the strictest Jewish sects. He considered himself the most zealous, rigorous and careful of all Pharisees.

His given name was Saul, the same as Israel’s first king more than 1,000 years earlier. Like that Saul, the apostle was from the Israelite tribe of Benjamin. He later became better known by his other name, Paul. Many factors in his background—his family, intelligence, hometown, Roman citizenship, education and zeal—appear to have marked him for God’s use.

Paul was educated. His schooling probably began in a room attached to a synagogue and culminated in Jerusalem, where he sat at the feet of the renowned Jewish teacher Gamaliel (Acts 22:3).

God didn’t send just anyone to the rest of the world, beyond the scattered nation of Israel. He sent a converted Israelite who had grown up in the understanding of the gentiles’ culture as well.

God chose and used Paul. It was because He knew Paul was capable of remaining a faithful servant to the end: “...He is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel” (Acts 9:15).

Paul had been a Pharisee, a member of one of the strictest Jewish sects. He considered himself the most zealous, rigorous and careful of all Pharisees.

His given name was Saul, the same as Israel’s first king more than 1,000 years earlier. Like that Saul, the apostle was from the Israelite tribe of Benjamin. He later became better known by his other name, Paul. Many factors in his background—his family, intelligence, hometown, Roman citizenship, education and zeal—appear to have marked him for God’s use.

Paul was educated. His schooling probably began in a room attached to a synagogue and culminated in Jerusalem, where he sat at the feet of the renowned Jewish teacher Gamaliel (Acts 22:3).

God didn’t send just anyone to the rest of the world, beyond the scattered nation of Israel. He sent a converted Israelite who had grown up in the understanding of the gentiles’ culture as well.

These are some excellent points!

Also I like to use Paul as an example when people say "God would never except me after all of the evil I have done," or "I can't walk into a church building because it would fall in on me." Those people are saying God's grace is limited and can't reach them, which is a terrible attitude to have.

Also, we need to keep in mind that despite the fact Paul was chosen by God to be an apostle he was a mere man and we too can have the courage Paul had to stand for the gospel even if we don't have has ability.

Maybe many people would be able to relate to Paul's story...being on the other end of the spectrum and having a vision...he showed that no matter how far away you are from God, that you can turn your life around to live through God if you wanted too.

That is how it is taught, that no matter how far from God, he is always waiting for you to turn it around. And in these days if a high profile guy like Saul changed, why no give it a try.

That is how it is taught, that no matter how far from God, he is always waiting for you to turn it around. And in these days if a high profile guy like Saul changed, why no give it a try.

That's the way that I have always perceived the story at least.

And there was Stephen. A man full of god's grace and power who did wonders and miraculous signs. He was speaking and men argued with him, but they were no match with his wisdom. So they bought false charges against him.

So in the next 50 plus verses he gives them story of the Old Testament and challenges the Jews. I would think he would have been a good choice to carry on Jesus's message, but it wasn't the plan, in fact Saul was there and Oked the stoning of Stephen.

Paul never forgotton the speech of Stephen and also what himself had done in this situation. His boldness should be a example for all of us who are believers and need to share the Gospel.

And there was Stephen. A man full of god's grace and power who did wonders and miraculous signs. He was speaking and men argued with him, but they were no match with his wisdom. So they bought false charges against him.

So in the next 50 plus verses he gives them story of the Old Testament and challenges the Jews. I would think he would have been a good choice to carry on Jesus's message, but it wasn't the plan, in fact Saul was there and Oked the stoning of Stephen.

Paul never forgotton the speech of Stephen and also what himself had done in this situation. His boldness should be a example for all of us who are believers and need to share the Gospel.

While that might be an inference the story in Acts really on speaks of him holding the coats if I recall correctly. It is obvious that this laid some ground work for Saul to become Paul however.

While that might be an inference the story in Acts really on speaks of him holding the coats if I recall correctly. It is obvious that this laid some ground work for Saul to become Paul however.

I think it's a fair assumption...I'm not going to hold the coat(s) of one or more people if they're doing something I don't approve.

I think post #2 offered a pretty good summary...

Paul's knowledge of the Hebrew scriptures was probably surpassed by few people, if any. In his mission to take the gospel to the Gentiles, there could be no doubt that he would meet Jewish opposition. Who better to debate the merits of the gospel message and how it related to the Old Testament than a man who knew those writings as well, and probably better, then the people he would debate? Gentiles undoubtedly witnessed some of this. I think it was important for Paul's witness to be able to "hold his own" with the Jewish dissenters.

Also, his Roman citizenship played an important role in his ability to spread the gospel. It afforded him the opportunities to defend himself and spread his message in front of important, high-ranking Roman officials, including Caesar himself eventually.

His zeal for God was evident throughout his life...initially it was misguided, yet he was doing it because he thought it was right. When he came to know the truth, his zeal remained, but his message changed.

Someone mentioned Peter earlier and thats a great point.

Both had key roles in the early churches and in the book of Acts Luke writes about Peter and his role in the starting of the church. these two had several common events.

Both heal cripples, seeing cures in unusual ways, bring people back to life, both meet a sorcerer, both are released from prison due to a miracle.

They had common friends as in Luke and Mark.

Peter was rebuked by Paul. Anybody know why?

Now on Mary...after the Gospels she is only mentioned two times and I guess the poster meant Mother Mary.