You're Walt: How Do You Spend the Money?

Clyde

Do we really need to guess? Jorge Cantu Where would you have played Cantu?

I was thinking the same thing when our Hall of Fame tv analysts were talking about what a mistake it was to let Cantu go when the Reds were playing in Miami a few weeks ago.

Let's see:

E-5 is locked in at 3rd, Votto was going to be a lock at first, BP is a lock at 2nd.

You figured Gonzalez would come back, if not, they had a darn good hitter in Keppinger.

Cantu would play where?

I doubt the Reds have the worst TV people, George and Chrissy, but they have to be among the worst.

Do we really need to guess? Jorge Cantu Where would you have played Cantu?

3rd Base. E-5 in LF possibly. If the Cards can take a starting pitcher and have him converted to a pretty good CFer, hopefully you can take a young athletic 3rd basemen and stick him in left. I would imagine Edwin can cover a little more ground than Dunn, and has a stronger arm. Just a thought, for all those who claim Dunn's numbers are invaluable to the sub .500 Reds.

3rd Base. E-5 in LF possibly. If the Cards can take a starting pitcher and have him converted to a pretty good CFer, hopefully you can take a young athletic 3rd basemen and stick him in left. I would imagine Edwin can cover a little more ground than Dunn, and has a stronger arm. Just a thought, for all those who claim Dunn's numbers are invaluable to the sub .500 Reds.

I think E-5 could work in LF, but Cantu proved that he is absolutely awful at 3B. I think Votto in LF, and Cantu at 1B would have been much better if the Reds had chosen to keep Cantu.

I think E-5 could work in LF, but Cantu proved that he is absolutely awful at 3B. I think Votto in LF, and Cantu at 1B would have been much better if the Reds had chosen to keep Cantu.

Absolutely awful has committed 4 more errors than E-5. 14-10 in a comparable amount of chances. Does that make Edwin just awful?

Absolutely awful has committed 4 more errors than E-5. 14-10 in a comparable amount of chances. Does that make Edwin just awful?

That doesn't tell the whole story. E-5 gets to a lot more balls than Cantu does, and if you saw much of the Reds-Marlins series in Florida then you would have seen how awful the score keeper is there. I'm sure Cantu has been the beneficiary of many of those decisions. For the record, E-5 has a fielding % of .940 compared to Cantu's .918. That's a pretty big difference.

That doesn't tell the whole story. E-5 gets to a lot more balls than Cantu does, and if you saw much of the Reds-Marlins series in Florida then you would have seen how awful the score keeper is there. I'm sure Cantu has been the beneficiary of many of those decisions. For the record, E-5 has a fielding % of .940 compared to Cantu's .918. That's a pretty big difference.

Yes the difference is 4 more errors on approximately 170 chances. Of course the question is offensive output where Mr. Cantu is in the same ball park as Mr. Dunn. If you wish the Reds to leave the club as is, then I understand the rationale. Hopefully management is looking at it a little differently.

IMO this team will not have Dunn, Griffey, Arroyo, nor AGon by the end of this season.

That's a lot of freed up money.

How do you spend it?

Walt will be under pressure to put a winning ball club on the field. Staying away from the bad contracts the Reds have been eating the last couple of years will be a good place to start. Assuming all of the above to take place let's take a look at need.

2 OFs to start 1 RH bat.

2 starting pitchers 4 and a 5 I guess. Could they be Bailey and Thompson?

I do agree, the young studs need to be locked up, so there goes a portion of the money.

Whatever Walt does, it will need to be creative and fiscally responsible. Tough task that no one has been able to master in Cincy recently. Hopefully he's up to the task.

Walt will be under pressure to put a winning ball club on the field. Staying away from the bad contracts the Reds have been eating the last couple of years will be a good place to start. Assuming all of the above to take place let's take a look at need.

2 OFs to start 1 RH bat.

2 starting pitchers 4 and a 5 I guess. Could they be Bailey and Thompson?I do agree, the young studs need to be locked up, so there goes a portion of the money.

Whatever Walt does, it will need to be creative and fiscally responsible. Tough task that no one has been able to master in Cincy recently. Hopefully he's up to the task.

Can't forget about Maloney down in AAA. If he turns it around and returns to form he'll be up soon as well. Plus the Reds need a lefty in the rotation.

There are a number of decent pitchers on that list... Sabathia is going to get outrageous cash. Dempster is making himself a lot of money this year. Lowe is the kind of pitcher that I think could have good seasons in GABP. Oliver Perez has flashed potential. Ben Sheets is good but a little injury prone.

Looks like a decently deep SS crop too...

If I could make the moves, I would do this. Say bye bye to Griffey for sure and possibly Adam if a pay cut is not taken. Lets say he leaves. I move either Votto or Edwin to Left, lets say Votto. I give Jay right field for 15 years. To fill first, I push hard, a little harder, then ALOT more for Mark Teixeria. B-Phil stays put at second. Center field is patroled by A mix of Freel, Hopper, and/or a new guy(Rocco Baldelli?). SS is no doubt all Jeff Keppinger. As I already talked about stay with Edwin at 3rd. My offensive question mark is C, I need some help there I don't see many free agents(Barret?). On the mound I stay with Aaron, Edinson Voltron Volquez, and Johnny Cueto. Daryl Thompson gets a good long look as a fourth or fifth starter. Lord knows about Homer Bailey. Maybe you bring in a Randy Wolf, Mark Mulder, a Home run with Ben Sheets. Maybe Matt Manoney? Just some thoughts.

What about getting a veteran catcher? Maybe not someone who is a prolific hitter, but someone who is good at handling young pitchers? Our top pick last year was a catcher (I think) but will he be ready?

I figure that Cueto, Bailey, Thompson, and Volquez will have big roles to play next year. Which of the catchers mentioned by SvFan have a reputation for handling pitchers well?