Can Anyone Beat the Lakers?

Can Anyone Beat the Lakers?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Can Anyone Beat the Lakers?

• No, Start Designing the Rings
    • Yes, the C's Will Finish off the Pistons and Take Out the Lakers
    • Yes, the Piston's Take the Last Two from the C's and the Title From the Lakers

Now, at the start of the playoffs I wouldn't have thought about posting a thread with this title, but someone posted in the other thread an extremely valid point. The Lakers just rolled through the best conference the NBA has ever seen, and did it while only losing 3 games. The have an all star post, a third scoring option that has been playing the best ball of his career, a couple designated sharpshooters, a heady vetran point, reserves that would start for most teams, and oh yeah, the best player in the NBA. And they play defense. All season it has looked like the C's and Piston's were the best in the league, but it is really hard to see anyone beating the Lakers 4 games the way they are playing now. The only thing I think that could hurt them is the long layover until the finals.

What do you think?

BTW, who's going to guard Kobe if the Celts make it?

Rondo? No

Allen? No

Perkins? No

Pierce? No

Garnett? No

Of course, one of those 5 will attempt to guard him but I just don't see them doing any good.

The Pistons match up much better with the Lakers.

BTW, who's going to guard Kobe if the Celts make it?

Rondo? No

Allen? No

Perkins? No

Pierce? No

Garnett? No

Of course, one of those 5 will attempt to guard him but I just don't see them doing any good.

The Pistons match up much better with the Lakers.

Judging by the fact that they put Pierce on Lebron, I would think they would put Pierce on Kobe. But that takes a lot of energy so if they were to get there and they were to do that Allen would have to produce points more consistantly...

Judging by the fact that they put Pierce on Lebron, I would think they would put Pierce on Kobe. But that takes a lot of energy so if they were to get there and they were to do that Allen would have to produce points more consistantly...

LeBron averaged 27 points in that series vs Boston & since Kobe is a better offensive player than LeBron, you gotta think that Pierce and company will not be able to maintain Kobe in the NBA finals, therefore will not be able to maintain the Lakers if they make it.

I think the 2-3-2 format will be a bigger disadvantage for the Lakers than the 2-2-1-1-1 would be. It's hard to beat a team 3 straight games anywhere, so I think the Lakers may very well have to win twice in Boston or Detroit.

That said, I think they'll win the finals...whatever scenario it takes. I thought they were a year away from taking it to this level, but the addition of Fisher at the point has really solidified the backcourt with Kobe. And, more importantly, Kobe himself seems to have taken his game to the next level.

I believe its going to be a toss up between the Celtics and the Lakers. No one can matchup with Kobe Bryant. Its a given hes going to get his 30 (give or take 5 to 10) a night. But I think with the Celtics being more athletic than the Spurs that will help against the Lakers. (Don't get me wrong, the Celtics still have to beat the Pistons).

The X-factor is Ray Allen. If he shoots well consistently in the finals and puts up good numbers I think the Celtics have a great shot to win. If he don't it will be awfully hard for the Celtics.

I believe its going to be a toss up between the Celtics and the Lakers. No one can matchup with Kobe Bryant. Its a given hes going to get his 30 (give or take 5 to 10) a night. But I think with the Celtics being more athletic than the Spurs that will help against the Lakers. (Don't get me wrong, the Celtics still have to beat the Pistons).

The X-factor is Ray Allen. If he shoots well consistently in the finals and puts up good numbers I think the Celtics have a great shot to win. If he don't it will be awfully hard for the Celtics.

I think Kobe will make life pretty difficult for Allen or Pierce, whichever guy they decide to put him on (if the C's advance).

The good news for Celtics fans is that they won both games against the Lakers this season, 107-94 November 23 @ Boston, and 110-91 December 30 @ LA. The bad news is that the Lakers have played much better since the new year started. They were 19-11 after the second loss to Boston which was their last game in 2007. They're 50-17 (counting the playoffs) in 2008. They're 39-12 since Gasol came to town. The Celtics are 51-20 since the new year, counting the playoffs. The point is simply that the games were in the first half of the year, when Boston was playing nearly unbeatable and the Lakers were still meshing and finding their way. It's a plus for Boston definitely, but I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

The Lakers split with Detroit, winning by 12 very early in the season in Los Angeles, and losing by one in Detroit at the end of January.

I think Kobe will make life pretty difficult for Allen or Pierce, whichever guy they decide to put him on (if the C's advance).

Im pretty sure it will be Pierce. He got the assignment to guard Lebron James. I will say that Pierce don't have the reputation of Bruce Bowen, but he has played great defense throughout the playoffs on whoever he has faced.

If the Pistons were to win, Kobe Bryant would face the one guy who has done the best job of anyone against him in a series. That is Tayshawn Prince 4 years ago I believe. He did an amazing job on Bryant in that series!! That being said, Bryant has improved since then and became a more complete player.

Just think about this people..the Lakers arent playin with a guy that averaged a double dobule in Andew Bynum!

To be fair, they've never had Bynum and Gasol on the court at the same time. So, for this year, you can almost view Gasol as an upgrade to replace Bynum's absence.

For the future though, this is a huge reason to believe the Lakers should go on a run winning multiple titles. You'd have to think if they can win with what they have now, adding a guy like Bynum (and Ariza) to the mix next year is only going to make them that much tougher to beat.