Jay Bruce to be called up Tuesday...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since I have a feeling there will a larger than normal crowd tomorrow, I hope the fans don't put too much pressure on the kid because he is just that a kid. Let him just go out there and have fun. That is how he got here, not by trying to save the Titanic which he would have to do to save the Reds.

Isn't June 1st the date where his arbitration would be pushed back another year? I don't get why they didn't wait a week.

There's not a specific date, it all depends on his playing time after he is recalled. Here's a copy of the rules:

If a player is drafted and is offered a contract by his drafting team (or any team he is traded to) each year, he may not become a free agent until he has been on a major league roster or disabled list for at least six years. Otherwise, any player without a contract may become a free agent and sign with any team.

A player is eligible for salary arbitration if he:

is ineligible for free agency

is without a contract

cannot agree with his current team on a new contract

has been on a major league roster or disabled list for at least three years

"Super Two" exception[3] - A player with at least two years of experience may be eligible for salary arbitration if he:

Meets the first three requirements from above

Played in the majors for at least 86 days in the previous season

Is among the top 17 percent for cumulative playing time in the majors amongst others with at least 2 years, but less than 3 years experience

Well since I have a feeling there will a larger than normal crowd tomorrow, I hope the fans don't put too much pressure on the kid because he is just that a kid. Let him just go out there and have fun. That is how he got here, not by trying to save the Titanic which he would have to do to save the Reds.

:thumb: Good post nku. I agree.

Bruce will just need to do what Votto has done, get a start and play so well that there is no choice but left to play him darn near everyday.

Bruce called up will need to play on a consistent basis, anything other than that and imo it would be better to leave him down on the farm where he can get reps. I don't think that him playing a lot should be a problem though, it's not like the Reds are loaded with talent or in a pennant race. Bruce could only help.

Put him in the lineup, commit to him and keep him there. He will not get any better sitting in the dugout.

Bruce called up will need to play on a consistent basis, anything other than that and imo it would be better to leave him down on the farm where he can get reps. I don't think that him playing a lot should be a problem though, it's not like the Reds are loaded with talent or in a pennant race. Bruce could only help.

Put him in the lineup, commit to him and keep him there. He will not get any better sitting in the dugout.

There is absolutely 0 chance he's being called up to sit.

He will play everyday.

Quotes from the GM.

"He was ready for some time, but we wanted to give him more time and give more opportunities to the guys we have here," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. "When Jay comes up, he'll play a lot. We wouldn't bring him up and not play him."

Bruce, the Reds' first-round Draft pick in 2005, will become the regular center fielder. It's been an unsettled spot with leadoff batter Corey Patterson batting just .201 with a .242 on-base percentage. Ryan Freel has played well when in center field but will remain in a utility role.